LOTROCommunity
Tigerwyn

Contact Lenses - Where's that blowtorch?

Ok so, last wednesday my lenses came in from special order (They cost 150pounds) And I had to show once again that I could put both in and take them out on my own. Then I got all these instructions: Use cleaner, conditioning solution etc etc.

I have been building it up each day by an hour, so right now I'm up to wearing them for 7/8 hours, but I swear to god that they're getting harder to put in.

I'll sit there for near enough 20-30 minutes attempting to put my right lense in and the Left lense always takes like 2 seconds and done.

I can't roll my eyes either and wondered if anyone around here who wore them can do that? Also how long does it take for them to...like feel like they're not there, because at the moment I can't really smile normally >.<

I don't mind losing them in my eye, that's ok because I don't worry really :)

-Tiger(Wyn)

I still laugh thinking about the numerous times my mum used to go into a panic when she had lost a lense only to discover it was in her eye all the time _O-

Ok, that doesn't help with your problem but thought I'd share it anyway :P

The thing about contact lenses is, if they are a perfect fit then they are hardly noticable, if they are however an incorrect size then they can be incredibly uncomfortable. Your optician would have mesured your eye before ordering the lenses but you can go back to your optician who will be able to look at your eye with the lense in to see if\why it may not be fitting correctly.

Also when putting the lense in make sure to look straight ahead, use a mirror immediately in front of you as this gives you something to focus on.

Contact lenses! That brings back memories. I stopped wearing them ages ago, got fed up with all the messing about and the thought of losing one! Assuming we're talking about soft lenses here (I know nothing about hard lenses but I imagine they're pretty much the same - except harder to get used to)...

It took me a couple of weeks to not notice them at all, anything in your eye hurts but you do get used to it after a while and no longer feel it - if they're the right size and shape of course!

Little tip: Make sure you've rinsed all the cleaning fluids off - be fastidious on this one. That bleach will sting like heck for ages, you only make that mistake once :)

As for getting them in, they're designed to sit perfectly over the iris so you need to place them there. I had trouble before I realised I was looking away as my finger approached my eye...maybe you're doing the same? I found it also helped to ensure there was a good amount of moisture inside the lens before fitting it, that helps 'suck' it onto the eyeball. I was never able to do this without a mirror though...if you're trying to do it blind as it were, that's very tough to do :)

Oh I know, they are hard lenses unfortunatly and yes I was measured up.

The tip about making sure there's plenty of moisture in them is helpful, it takes me so long to put em that usually they lose the moisture real quickly.

Thankyou Kit :)

Also please share your lense stories xD

-Tiger(Wyn)

Oh gods, I started wearing lenses when I was around 9 years old.. and I didn't want lenses at all! So, for a few weeks it was my parents keeping me in a hold while one of them would try to put the darn lenses in my eyes. :') I'm sure it must've been a hilarious sight to an outsider.

Oh well, I finally got to do it myself and wore them for like 6 or 7 years. Then I went back to glasses... by that time the glasses actually were fashionably small enough. See, I had -8 and -6 and with the old fashioned large glasses from back then my glasses would be THICK at the edges. So that's why my parents forced me to wear lenses. I think. I dunno. :P

But.. no, I'm not exactly eager to go back to lenses. My eyes get dry quick, and lenses would make that only more uncomfortable. I do, however, want to get eye surgery at some point...

One trick I learnt to use with a particularly irritating brand of lenses I once used (no longer use those thank heavens)...

Pass the lens from one finger to another before putting it in eye, drying finger in between. The idea being to lose enough moisture from the *outside* of the lens that it is more easily 'sucked' onto the eye. Before I figured that out, I could faff about for ages with them as they were keener to stick to my finger than my eye!

Been wearing lenses for decades, the most comfortable I've found are daily disposable lenses. As I can switch easily between specs and lenses, it works out a lot more cheaply than all those solutions, in the end. But the main thing is the sheer comfort of the things.

I cannot wear contact lenses. I have an eye phobia. Tidbit O' Trivia about Dolnor! -)

After years of contact lenses use, old fashioned glasses truly seem cumbersome. Ask someone who has prescription sunglasses and a bicycle... :F

I just never felt comfortable wearing glasses on my face in public. The idea of having something on my face while been watched never really appealled to me ^.^

My lenses are now a lot more comfortable, they don't catch on my eyelids anymore and I hardly realise they're there, unless I'm tired, at which point they get a little restless and cause a fuss in my eye!

-Tiger(WYN)