LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
TheStormKing

LotR:O is... Fun?

Some of my issues - not ALL, but MOST - have been addressed, at least by a few more levels adding a few more Trait Points. Hybrid builds, while not as strong as they could be, are definitely possible now.

I've been playing for a solid 6 weeks now, after a 2.5 year break. It's been very, very fun. And the epic on Pelennor Fields? Actually EPIC.

Every time I log in I have to redo all trait lines and all redo LIs and do bags logistics. Pay housing upkeep. Take care of all the other homework items in the notifications. Takes long enough to give up.

Naysayers with a closed mindset!

LOTRO is not a bad game, especially if you have a stash of TP (Lifer anyone?) to ease the grind that happens to annoy you.

Back to pulling Dwarf-Beards, as some evil Dev hid items in them which I can barter for Armour*...  

*Pretty useless one at that.... 

16 hours ago, TheStormKing said:

Some of my issues - not ALL, but MOST - have been addressed, at least by a few more levels adding a few more Trait Points. Hybrid builds, while not as strong as they could be, are definitely possible now.

I've been playing for a solid 6 weeks now, after a 2.5 year break. It's been very, very fun. And the epic on Pelennor Fields? Actually EPIC.

I'm happy for you, StormKing!  Good to hear that you're back and having fun.  I agree with you about that part of the epic, it was really well done.

This game lacks still, i want to play creep pve which is pathetic and non existant, no character customization even my old fifa 2002 has better options. Pvp still garbage, graphics are starting to wear after 8 years, absurd amount of lags and bugs...

On 10/19/2016 at 4:54 AM, Doro said:

Did they give everyone their skills back or are they still locked behind a primary trait line?

The problem during Helm's Derp, is that there were not enough Trait Points. But now that you can get 82 of them - I have only 75 - you can viably build a partial hybrid. You kind of have to, since if you spend all your points in one line, you now run out.

There are still skills locked behind lines, like you can't have both shadow's lament and Valiant Strike as a captain. BUT, Valiant Strike now starts Battle-ready state, so you can chain DS off that. There is a lot more interplay between the skills, so knowing those subtleties is a big deal.

I wish more skills could cross boundaries. But, there are enough skills, with new and varied applications, that critical mass is now achieved, of "this is fun".

For me.

2 hours ago, TheStormKing said:

There are still skills locked behind lines...

That's still a deal-breaker for me. When they took the skills away from my Champ that let me make proper hybrid builds, and locked them forever behind certain lines, they basically took away what my class was and gave me something worse. HD killed off my characters.

There were always skills that were locked unless you traited them properly. Epics come to mind. You would have to visit a bard to switch it up, now you don't have to, since you can switch your lines anytime you are out of combat. And you *can* get some of the skills in other lines, though not the highest ones.

It's different, for sure. It's not better, it's actually not worse, it's just different. Since we have a lot more Class Points now, you can build viable hybrids. In fact, in my DPS line, I don't have anything else I want to buy, so I'm trying to smartly buy stuff from the other two lines. Yup, I have all 3 lines in a single build.

And 100 MC is like $10 if you straight buy them, I'm not going to lose my shit over that.

1 hour ago, TheStormKing said:

And 100 MC is like $10 if you straight buy them, I'm not going to lose my shit over that.

For me it's the principle.

They created 3 trait lines, but you had to pay (regardless if sub or not) simply to have access to all of them.  For every toon.

That always left a bad taste in my mouth.

8 minutes ago, Papi said:

For me it's the principle.

They created 3 trait lines, but you had to pay (regardless if sub or not) simply to have access to all of them.  For every toon.

That always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, that's not entirely accurate. It costs about 1g to respec a trait line anyway you want, so you could have two done, and if you want to go straight yellow line, rebuy it on Spec 2.

Also, you have "access" to all of them in each Spec. My "Red" spec has some blue and yellow in it.

I know what you are saying, but there are multiple ways to set each of them up as well. I could have two very different specs for each of the lines if I wanted, which would be 6 prebuilts. I wish they had given 3 specs for free, but I honestly think the psychology of the thing would have been easier to take if they had offered only ONE to start instead of TWO.

Some good friends of mine have started playing again, so I've decided to spend a little bit of time back in game.  Have been questing in West Rohan in the area north of Helm's Deep and have to say that I haven't really been having much fun at this stage.  The quests are just so generic and have made me realise how much better WoW's quests have become, particularly in legion (didn't think I'd hear myself say that).  I'm hoping that the quest design gets better as I move in to the newer areas.

6 hours ago, JRonnie said:

Some good friends of mine have started playing again, so I've decided to spend a little bit of time back in game.  Have been questing in West Rohan in the area north of Helm's Deep and have to say that I haven't really been having much fun at this stage.  The quests are just so generic and have made me realise how much better WoW's quests have become, particularly in legion (didn't think I'd hear myself say that).  I'm hoping that the quest design gets better as I move in to the newer areas.

I think they just underpolished content after a while and went lazy.  It's a very dated leveling system, there's no way I'm going to level alts that's for sure.

Seriously I just did a batch of quests where the thane said 'Yes I'll come and help you, but first..... (quest 1) collect a bunch of wood planks lying around (quest 2) stick the wood in the ground at points around the town (quest 3) go fetch 10 berries from bushes and (quest 4) go fill his water skin at a waterfall outside of town.....

It was just really inane errand boy stuff.

I've said it before but I actually think the devs are doing a great job with the shoestring development budget that LOTRO has to run on. New instances, raid cluster, nice epic book progression and a Mordor expansion on the cards.... I'm surprised we have made it this far after the failure of Helm's Deep.

I popped back in recently myself. It's actually not that bad, the issue I have is it's not that good either. Whenever I play now it usually goes; first half hour reminding myself how this shit works, 2nd half hour thinking how much I used to enjoy this game and how it would be cool to get back into it, next hour doing quests and stuff and chatting to old guild friends that still play, final 10 minutes realising that it's really not as good as it once was and I'm actually never going to get into it again, feel sad about that, log off and go play something else.

9 hours ago, bhoris said:

I've said it before but I actually think the devs are doing a great job with the shoestring development budget that LOTRO has to run on. New instances, raid cluster, nice epic book progression and a Mordor expansion on the cards.... I'm surprised we have made it this far after the failure of Helm's Deep.

That doesn't help players getting their characters through that bad content. Much less multiple characters.

There are no concrete plans to add new crafting levels/materials to the game in the next year. That really is a big negative for doing anything with my alts.

I have used U19 to go from 102 to 105. Old Anorien was a pain in the royal behind, but I do want to max that out one day, for the housing items.

I hate essence armour.

Turbine has become a Master at twisting the content of those last quest packs, together with making a lot of empty promises and being silent.

Enough said.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2016 at 10:04 AM, Laurinaohtar said:

I popped back in recently myself. It's actually not that bad, the issue I have is it's not that good either. Whenever I play now it usually goes; first half hour reminding myself how this shit works, 2nd half hour thinking how much I used to enjoy this game and how it would be cool to get back into it, next hour doing quests and stuff and chatting to old guild friends that still play, final 10 minutes realising that it's really not as good as it once was and I'm actually never going to get into it again, feel sad about that, log off and go play something else.

Im patching up now.  Im really afraid of having the same sentiments

On 10/24/2016 at 4:16 PM, Darmokk said:

That doesn't help players getting their characters through that bad content. Much less multiple characters.

LOTRO is HORRIBLE for leveling alts in, I think you should get a 100% bonus to XP if you have a level capped character.

I was actually wondering if I should play some old toons (ranging in levels from 65 to 95) or an RK I made the day the new servers launched to snag the name Tesla.

Havent really played much RK so its an interesting thought, kind of a start fresh and give LOTRO a fresh look as opposed to diving head first into picking up shit, setting tables and collecting logs with a level 95 Warden with whom Ive mostly forgotten how to play.

While heading into Xmas is generally my busiest time of year work wise, after that its dead until the spring. Perfect time to maybe dive in head first to this RK.

Edit: Forgot to add that Ive tried hard to like both ESO and GW 2 to no avail and as much as I love D3 that shit is getting stale fast.  There is almost a need for me to find a game to help with my free time as Im not a TV person at all