LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
frodofraggins

What were they thinking with the design of East Rohan?

I stopped playing just when the Great River came out.  With the renewal being up in the air, I decided to return to start leveling at 75.  The Great River was fine, but Eastern Rohan is about as tedious as leveling can get.  My pet peeves are quests that

1) require you to run around from NPC to NPC just for lore reasons.  At least keep them nearby each other

2) Quest hubs that send you somewhere, make you come back and send you back again

East Rohan is filled with these types of quests.  Add in the fact that almost every village has the same quests to help them and you have a really boring expansion.

Anyway, I'm slogging through about a level a day of this and have hit level 85.  This expansion couldn't have helped their subscriber numbers.  I've heard Western Rohan is better as is gondor. Others suggest doing Warg Pens quests for leveling but I'm sticking it out.

There are a couple really good arc-stories in West Rohan but the filler quests (which number to hundreds) will likely turn you mad. The worst part of its is that unless you do every single quest there you lose 5 class trait points >:(

Gondor is overall good, West being better than Central and East, Far Anórien slightly better than Minas Tirith* and so on. The U18 Epic story is spectacular and the U17 one (Minas Tirith) not too far behind despite the damn bug battles especially if you manage to dodge spoilers.

Spoiler

Many seem to be upset with the annoying Forlong chain and rightly at that, but IMO the worst one there is cowering from a small time bully with the children to whom (the bully) you have just given a deserved ass spanking!

Edited by Urwendil
obscure grammar :p

On 10/20/2016 at 3:53 AM, frodofraggins said:

I stopped playing just when the Great River came out.  With the renewal being up in the air, I decided to return to start leveling at 75.  The Great River was fine, but Eastern Rohan is about as tedious as leveling can get.  My pet peeves are quests that

1) require you to run around from NPC to NPC just for lore reasons.  At least keep them nearby each other

2) Quest hubs that send you somewhere, make you come back and send you back again

East Rohan is filled with these types of quests.  Add in the fact that almost every village has the same quests to help them and you have a really boring expansion.

Anyway, I'm slogging through about a level a day of this and have hit level 85.  This expansion couldn't have helped their subscriber numbers.  I've heard Western Rohan is better as is gondor. Others suggest doing Warg Pens quests for leveling but I'm sticking it out.

If that's the case you are not going to like levels 85 to 95.    East Rohan wasn't horrible to me but West Rohan maybe me abandon all my alts at level 85. 

Some advice, stay away from woodhurst at all costs.  Imagine a quest line in which there are like 35 loading screens and the questline consists of taking to 3 npcs and one of those npcs has 2 loading screens to reach and 2 loading screens to leave.  Southern Rohan I remember there was a barrel carrying quest that was annoying and the quest at Helm's deep carrying something a very long distance on foot.  Expect questlines with clicking on crap and taking to people with zero enemy kills in between. 

West Rohan also had lots of speech bubble reading that can't be opted out of for alts.  Not sure what 95 up is like.  I had my nephew bust out those levels for me.

22 hours ago, Thequinn said:

If that's the case you are not going to like levels 85 to 95.    East Rohan wasn't horrible to me but West Rohan maybe me abandon all my alts at level 85. 

Some advice, stay away from woodhurst at all costs.  Imagine a quest line in which there are like 35 loading screens and the questline consists of taking to 3 npcs and one of those npcs has 2 loading screens to reach and 2 loading screens to leave.  Southern Rohan I remember there was a barrel carrying quest that was annoying and the quest at Helm's deep carrying something a very long distance on foot.  Expect questlines with clicking on crap and taking to people with zero enemy kills in between. 

West Rohan also had lots of speech bubble reading that can't be opted out of for alts.  Not sure what 95 up is like.  I had my nephew bust out those levels for me.

I agree with this.

Eastern Rohan(RoR) was far from being Turbine's best work, but it still wasn't nearly as bad as Western Rohan(Helm's Deep) was. Trying to climb the Beacon near the end of RoR was the first time that I suspected that the devs might be fucking with us. Helm's Deep made me really start wondering if that was the case considering how absolutely tedious and uninspired so much of it's content was. And don't even get me started on how bad Epic Battles are.

Between the release of RoR and HD lies Wildermore- A completely extraneous lagfest with a stupid, nonsensical story. And then after HD came Fangorn, which was nothing more than a thinly veiled reputation grind with hardly any content to speak of. And after that? Arguably the single biggest missed opportunity in all of LotRO- The Paths of the Dead. Just a simple run through where you fight a few stray mobs. Back in the MoM era we all assumed that PotD couldn't be anything other than a truly epic raid cluster...

I spent nearly a year away from the game due to my discontent with how bad this game was in that era. But for how bad all that content is, the moment you step out of PotD into Western Gondor, the game actually gets good again until Minas Tirith's epic fetch quests.

I'm in wildermore right now at lvl 87 or 88.  It's slightly better imo but not by much.  I was already led to Fangorn to find the hobbits and do random stuff.  I'm a couple of levels above the content so maybe I can skip woodhurst.

Rohan was always going to be difficult for the devs. Unfortunately by the time we got to Rohan, the solo questing experience had been so dumbed down that landscape mobs pose no threat... Beyond the three basic quest archetypes of 'kill', 'click', 'go' what else can they really do? With the trivial nature of combat they had to flesh the L75-L85 levelling process out with lots of running around, NPC dialogues and solo 'instances'. I suppose it sort of fits with the landscape of Rohan and I didn't mind it at the time but doubt I would have the patience now.

That said, I did think the Fangorn area of East Rohan represented some decent story telling and questing. For what its worth I found West Rohan much worse so you may find that even more of a struggle.

FYI my my favourite region in the game is probably the Great River, I love the transition as you enter from Lothlorien vineyards. Stangard was pretty great for a first glimpse of Rohan although has been done to death now.