LOTROCommunity

Have you voted? ;)

LasraelLarson

What I find interesting is until now Trump and his people have been very clear in saying Russia was not the source of the information released by Wikileaks, now we have the potential Secretary of State saying it was Russia.  I find it interesting that someone so high up in Trumps camp is contradicting Trump

7 hours ago, cossieuk said:

What I find interesting is until now Trump and his people have been very clear in saying Russia was not the source of the information released by Wikileaks, now we have the potential Secretary of State saying it was Russia.  I find it interesting that someone so high up in Trumps camp is contradicting Trump

But Tillerson only read the declassified documents that we've all read, which provided no evidence to suggest it was Russia. He also didn't say it was Russia who gave the docs to WikiLeaks (which are two separate issues; the hacks and the leak). He's got as much information as the general public regarding this, and probably little to no actual knowledge on how any of this works. And when grilled by a man who describes Putin as a war criminal for backing Assad, he was pushed for an answer to a question he has no information about. Him having an opposing opinion to Trump on the TPP or nukes is a bigger curiosity, really.

In regards to Russia's demonization (and I can't believe I missed this when they first decided to run such a fear-mongering piece):

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/742970/Putin-ordering-migrant-sex-attacks-oust-Angela-Merkel-German-tabloid

When will they start accusing the Kremlin of dining exclusively on babies? It would be funny if so many people weren't forming their beliefs of the world on their rhetoric. 

Haven't been around much due to health issues, but these are 2 quotes about the hacking issue that stood out to me:

Senator Schumer ~ “Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you, So even for a practical, supposedly hard-nosed businessman, he’s being really dumb to do this.”

President Obama ~ “I am confident in this vision because I’m confident that if I — if I had run again and articulated it, I think I could’ve mobilized a majority of the American people to rally behind it,” 

We have a Senator saying the Intel Community has no issue with retaliating against a PEOTUS, and presumably a sitting POTUS, and the sitting President intimating that the hacks weren't enough that he would have lost.

3 hours ago, Spiteful said:

Haven't been around much due to health issues, but these are 2 quotes about the hacking issue that stood out to me:

Senator Schumer ~ “Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you, So even for a practical, supposedly hard-nosed businessman, he’s being really dumb to do this.”

President Obama ~ “I am confident in this vision because I’m confident that if I — if I had run again and articulated it, I think I could’ve mobilized a majority of the American people to rally behind it,” 

We have a Senator saying the Intel Community has no issue with retaliating against a PEOTUS, and presumably a sitting POTUS, and the sitting President intimating that the hacks weren't enough that he would have lost.

Wow.

I searched for this and, yup, he did actually say that. As Senate minority leader Schumer is probably thought of as the de facto leader of the Democratic Party.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/can-rift-between-trump-intel-community-be-healed-n705911

As for Owebama... well a poor self-image has never been a problem for him. He just might have won against Trump... but then again what if Napoleon had had B-52 bombers at the battle of Waterloo?

Edit: About the Schumer comment... Sooo much emphasis on the Comey FBI investigation of Hillary's private Secretary Of State email server and possible political interference as well as Lynch (Comey's boss) meeting Slick Willy at an airport. Interesting stuff.

Trump attacks civil rights icon before Martin Luther King Jr. day!

This is the headline all over the MSM. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-trump-john-lewis-1.3936355

And what was the "attack"?

Trump tweeted on Saturday that Lewis, a Democrat, "should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results."

The incoming president added: "All talk, talk, talk — no action or results. Sad!"

So I have to wonder what part of this "attack" relates to "civil rights" or "MLK day"?

Is Lewis the Congressional representative for the "civil rights district"? How does his record on civil rights get confused with his record as a 30 freakin' year Congressional representative for his district?

This kinda crap infuriates me.

Fake News?

2 hours ago, fittybolger said:

This is the headline all over the MSM. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-trump-john-lewis-1.3936355

So I have to wonder what part of this "attack" relates to "civil rights" or "MLK day"?

Is Lewis the Congressional representative for the "civil rights district"? How does his record on civil rights get confused with his record as a 30 freakin' year Congressional representative for his district?

Fake News?

Lewis was one of the Big Six civil rights leaders.... His credentials as far as civil rights isn't a subject of opinion, it's documented fact. On the other hand Lewis is over the top with his "Illegitimate President" talk. At least as PEOTUS Trump is easy to bait, there was no doubt some tweet was on it's way, lol.

3 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Wow.

I searched for this and, yup, he did actually say that. As Senate minority leader Schumer is probably thought of as the de facto leader of the Democratic Party.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/can-rift-between-trump-intel-community-be-healed-n705911

As for Owebama... well a poor self-image has never been a problem for him. He just might have won against Trump... but then again what if Napoleon had had B-52 bombers at the battle of Waterloo?

Edit: About the Schumer comment... Sooo much emphasis on the Comey FBI investigation of Hillary's private Secretary Of State email server and possible political interference as well as Lynch (Comey's boss) meeting Slick Willy at an airport. Interesting stuff.

The thing is Trump could only beat Hillary, and Hillary could only beat Trump.

Hillary's 30 years of baggage could never hold up against a strong candidate, and Trump's Populist platform would have fallen to any Dem candidate that campaigned or at least sent someone like the VP candidate to the Rust Belt.

1 hour ago, Spiteful said:

Lewis was one of the Big Six civil rights leaders.... His credentials as far as civil rights isn't a subject of opinion, it's documented fact. On the other hand Lewis is over the top with his "Illegitimate President" talk. At least as PEOTUS Trump is easy to bait, there was no doubt some tweet was on it's way, lol.

My point is Lewis' civil rights record is irrelevant as Trump never said "Lewis is a civil rights failure".

Lewis has been a congressman for 30 years. Trump questioned his performance as a congressman. So instead of a headline about "Trump attacks civil rights icon before MLK day" How about addressing the comment Trump actually made with a headline like "Lewis has done X + Y + Z for his congressional district over his 30 years as congressman".

Diversion... smoke and mirrors... manufacturing a headline to suit their agenda as opposed to addressing the actual comment.

8 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Fake News?

Me too. I've been watching threads pop up on 4chan, where people have been sharing fake news, and it really is both irritating and eye-opening. They can take almost anything, real or imagined, and twist it to suit their agenda.

1484224044481.jpg

10 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Fake News?

The headline does not say attacks relates to civil rights, it says attacks a civil rights icon, which he is.

So no it is not fake news, clickbait perhaps but the story is true.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

Me too. I've been watching threads pop up on 4chan, where people have been sharing fake news, and it really is both irritating and eye-opening. They can take almost anything, real or imagined, and twist it to suit their agenda.

1484224044481.jpg

i'll take the liberal left's fake "news" reports about something as inconsequential as fashion compared to the far right's conspiracy theories that lead to idiots showing up at a pizza joint fully armed:  http://time.com/4590255/pizzagate-fake-news-what-to-know/

6 hours ago, Spiteful said:

Thank you :)

Ah... good... I understand now.

Trump attacks savior of our nation right before Sauerkraut Day!

In 1937 he brought peace in our time! He built the autobahn! He brought Germany through the great depression! He ended hyper-inflation! He wiped his behind with the Treaty of Versailles! He gave Germans back their pride! Trumps twitter attack was something about after 1937 and Jews and war and yadda, yadda, yadda... but not a word about the autobahn!!!111!!!!

Democrats will boycott the inauguration... pick up their ball and go home.

But, Democrats playing or not, on Friday the Executive Orders start to fall like dominos... Mexico shakes it's piggy bank for the wall... the EU's Juncker will declare the EU is healthy and strong (hehe). And more fake news will spew forth from the likes of Clinton News Network.

I am not really a Trump supporter = he is, possibly, "real" change. From the elites, from globalism, from political correctness, from the gutter sucking MSM bias and from... Meet Madame la guillotine!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

11 hours ago, Papi said:

i'll take the liberal left's fake "news" reports about something as inconsequential as fashion compared to the far right's conspiracy theories that lead to idiots showing up at a pizza joint fully armed:  http://time.com/4590255/pizzagate-fake-news-what-to-know/

Unfortunately, it isn't just limited to fashion. Demonisation of Trump supporters through fake news has led to people being attacked for their beliefs, because people genuinely believe the leftist media when they report on fake assaults and racist incidents without any prior research.

But then you already know that, and you're just being willfully obtuse to try to start an argument you'd like to blame me for, yet again.

13 minutes ago, Doro said:

Unfortunately, it isn't just limited to fashion. Demonisation of Trump supporters through fake news has led to people being attacked for their beliefs, because people genuinely believe the leftist media when they report on fake assaults and racist incidents without any prior research.

But then you already know that, and you're just being willfully obtuse to try to start an argument you'd like to blame me for, yet again.

I'd like to see an example of a mainstream media outlet that reported a fake news story and as a direct result of that story, a trump supporter got "attacked" (verbally? physically??)

As for your last statement, I'm not being willfully obtuse about anything. You cited a fashion related story to back up your argument about the liberal left (which seems a bit silly) and i simply provided a counter example of a more serious, and far more nefarious example of the same thing being done by the right. Next time use a better example to make your point.

5 minutes ago, Papi said:

I'd like to see an example of a mainstream media outlet that reported a fake news story and as a direct result of that story, a trump supporter got "attacked" (verbally? physically??)

As for your last statement, I'm not being willfully obtuse about anything. You cited a fashion related story to back up your argument about the liberal left (which seems a bit silly) and i simply provided a counter example of a more serious, and far more nefarious example of the same thing being done by the right. Next time use a better example to make your point.

One example? Too easy:

http://www.ibtimes.com/white-trump-supporter-attacked-black-man-wearing-make-america-great-again-hat-2447167

There are countless examples of Trump supporters attacked simply because the leftist media decided to demonise the opposition's beliefs.

With the white suit story, I gave one example as a particularly funny one because it more blatantly showcased how something as simple as clothing can be twisted to suit a purpose. It is clear to anyone that isn't the be all and end all of it, but then I suppose there's nothing willful in your obtuseness after all.

21 minutes ago, Doro said:

One example? Too easy:

http://www.ibtimes.com/white-trump-supporter-attacked-black-man-wearing-make-america-great-again-hat-2447167

There are countless examples of Trump supporters attacked simply because the leftist media decided to demonise the opposition's beliefs.

With the white suit story, I gave one example as a particularly funny one because it more blatantly showcased how something as simple as clothing can be twisted to suit a purpose. It is clear to anyone that isn't the be all and end all of it, but then I suppose there's nothing willful in your obtuseness after all.

Countless? Sure. If you say so. So you don't have an example of a direct link to a fake news story just some mumbo jumbo about demonizing Trump and his followers. 

What's funny (not really) is that the leftist media doesn't have to use fake news to demonize Trump--all they have to do is provide a direct link to his Twitter feed. Job done.

People here are trying to portray the headlines as a simple statement of fact... albeit a fact that has nothing to do with the actual comments... harmless.

I look at the headlines as a message... a form of double-speak... fake news... I look at it as fomenting racial division and fanning the flames of BLM.

New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/15/us/politics/trumps-race-john-lewis.html?_r=0

Blacks around the country have reacted to Mr. Trump’s remarks with fury, and the subject has dominated social media and discussions among black activists. Mr. Trump said on Saturday on Twitter that Mr. Lewis, who asserted last week that Mr. Trump was not a “legitimate president,” should focus on his district and “the burning and crime infested inner-cities.”

Elites, Democrats and their media whores have been trying every angle to de-legitimize Trump since the day he was elected. Next step manufacturing race riots? Do you think they are above it?

5 hours ago, Papi said:

Countless? Sure. If you say so. So you don't have an example of a direct link to a fake news story just some mumbo jumbo about demonizing Trump and his followers. 

What's funny (not really) is that the leftist media doesn't have to use fake news to demonize Trump--all they have to do is provide a direct link to his Twitter feed. Job done.

Of course there are countless. Just search "Trump supporter attacked", I'm sure it would come up with enough. They're clearly motivated by the rhetoric spewed by the leftist media (they somehow think it's a moral obligation to attack Trump supporters, either physically or verbally), just as that nutjob was motivated by the Pizzagate nonsense (thank fuck he hasn't heard of David Icke). You'd have to be using some real cognitive dissonance to see why one is connected, but not the other.

But on the Twitter side, I agree. I'd rather they did just that. However, they do prefer to select the worst of his social media Tourette's, instead of all of them. Then there's the problem of their added commentary and the consequences of spreading misinformation with it.

5 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

I am so disinterested in this shit now. Inaugurate the motherfucker already, and let us get on with the bs that is our lives.

It's only just getting started. I think there's at least 4 more years ahead of us of this shit. Providing the CIA doesn't snap and have him taken out before then.

3 hours ago, Doro said:

Of course there are countless. Just search "Trump supporter attacked", I'm sure it would come up with enough. They're clearly motivated by the rhetoric spewed by the leftist media (they somehow think it's a moral obligation to attack Trump supporters, either physically or verbally), just as that nutjob was motivated by the Pizzagate nonsense (thank fuck he hasn't heard of David Icke). You'd have to be using some real cognitive dissonance to see why one is connected, but not the other.

But on the Twitter side, I agree. I'd rather they did just that. However, they do prefer to select the worst of his social media Tourette's, instead of all of them. Then there's the problem of their added commentary and the consequences of spreading misinformation with it.

So now you've gone from the leftist media using "fake news" to sway public opinion to just using a certain rhetoric to motivate the nut-jobs.  The bottom line here, they aren't making shit up (i.e. the Pizzagate incident), they are reporting the actual news.  There is no "misinformation" being spread about his tweets, they simply show his tweets (and of course, they are going to single out the stupid crazy shit, because he's going to be the leader of the free world and he says some stupid crazy shit).  But to single out the leftist liberal media as being the only culprit of being biased is disingenuous at best.  Have you watched FoxNews?  Have you read Breitbart "News" Network??  Have you listened to some of the bullshit that comes out of Trump's mouth??  I've seen far more bile directed at Hillary and Obama from the right (y'know, pointed, mean-spirited rhetoric) than I have at Trump.  Trump gets all pissed because people are making comments (Lewis) about his presidency not being legitimate, but Trump spent YEARS and some of his own money doing the same exact thing to Obama (the whole, ridiculous "birther" movement).  Apparently short memories and irony go hand in hand.

Speaking of spewing rhetoric...

47 minutes ago, Papi said:

So now you've gone from the leftist media using "fake news" to sway public opinion to just using a certain rhetoric to motivate the nut-jobs.  The bottom line here, they aren't making shit up (i.e. the Pizzagate incident), they are reporting the actual news.  There is no "misinformation" being spread about his tweets, they simply show his tweets (and of course, they are going to single out the stupid crazy shit, because he's going to be the leader of the free world and he says some stupid crazy shit).  But to single out the leftist liberal media as being the only culprit of being biased is disingenuous at best.  Have you watched FoxNews?  Have you read Breitbart "News" Network??  Have you listened to some of the bullshit that comes out of Trump's mouth??  I've seen far more bile directed at Hillary and Obama from the right (y'know, pointed, mean-spirited rhetoric) than I have at Trump.  Trump gets all pissed because people are making comments (Lewis) about his presidency not being legitimate, but Trump spent YEARS and some of his own money doing the same exact thing to Obama (the whole, ridiculous "birther" movement).  Apparently short memories and irony go hand in hand.

Not even slightly. You do know what "fake news" is, right? It's any story that's either a lie, a twisting of the truth, or straight up propaganda, for the sake of an agenda.  And it has resulted in attacks on people, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Yes, there is misinformation being spread. When Trump had a pop about illegal immigrants, the media spun it as racism and wanting to deport all Mexicans. That in turn led to all his supporters being labeled as racists, and all because the media went fake news on it.

The leftist media has more sway and influence over the general public than whatever pitiful excuses the right has to offer (Fox "News" went through some legal shit about it not being news, didn't it?). And instead of using it to be open and honest, with an unbiased presentation of the facts, it's being used to paint this picture among the left that their opposition is somehow a bunch of racist, misogynist, uneducated, poor rednecks, holding back the glorious left from making the world a better place.

Fuck Trump and his hypocrisy, too, but this isn't about him and his little feuds. This is about a media force that "educates" the masses and does so with a blatant political agenda. If you can't see what the news in the US is like, or just simply refuse to do so, then I can't help you and nothing of what I post will make sense to you all the way in Lala-land.

32 minutes ago, Doro said:

Not even slightly. You do know what "fake news" is, right? It's any story that's either a lie, a twisting of the truth, or straight up propaganda, for the sake of an agenda.  And it has resulted in attacks on people, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Yes, there is misinformation being spread. When Trump had a pop about illegal immigrants, the media spun it as racism and wanting to deport all Mexicans. That in turn led to all his supporters being labeled as racists, and all because the media went fake news on it.

The leftist media has more sway and influence over the general public than whatever pitiful excuses the right has to offer (Fox "News" went through some legal shit about it not being news, didn't it?). And instead of using it to be open and honest, with an unbiased presentation of the facts, it's being used to paint this picture among the left that their opposition is somehow a bunch of racist, misogynist, uneducated, poor rednecks, holding back the glorious left from making the world a better place.

Fuck Trump and his hypocrisy, too, but this isn't about him and his little feuds. This is about a media force that "educates" the masses and does so with a blatant political agenda. If you can't see what the news in the US is like, or just simply refuse to do so, then I can't help you and nothing of what I post will make sense to you all the way in Lala-land.

"fake news" is simply the new catch phrase used to demonize journalists and the press.  Trump is using it to distract--just like he uses his twitter account.  The man is nothing if not the master of all trolls.  Trump made a comment about the illegal immigrants (some of them) being rapists.  He could have used a laundry list of other reasons why illegal immigration is bad, but he chose to bring up the fact that some of them are rapists (because apparently there are no rapists living legally in the U.S. right? lol)  He chose to use that line of rhetoric so of course the media jumped on in it.  They are both equally to blame--yet you seem keen on targeting the media.  It doesn't change the fact he said it and he had a reason for saying it.  Just like he had a reason for saying that he would block all Muslims from coming into the country (which he later had to back away from.).  Just like when he said that he would build a wall and Mexico would pay for it (oh look, he's now asking Congress--and the American tax payer--to pay for it).  The reason is pure and simple--he was feeding his base what they wanted to hear.  He was appealing to the fear, mistrust, hatred...the baser instincts of his followers to energize them to come out and vote.  Ignoring that--not acknowledging that Trump is doing the same exact thing that you are accusing the media of doing--is just naive.

Because Trump has used that type of rhetoric, it's not a far leap for ANY media outlet to paint him (and his followers) as the "basket of deplorables" a small percentage of them probably are.

13 minutes ago, Papi said:

"fake news" is simply the new catch phrase used to demonize journalists and the press.  Trump is using it to distract--just like he uses his twitter account.  The man is nothing if not the master of all trolls.  Trump made a comment about the illegal immigrants (some of them) being rapists.  He could have used a laundry list of other reasons why illegal immigration is bad, but he chose to bring up the fact that some of them are rapists (because apparently there are no rapists living legally in the U.S. right? lol)  He chose to use that line of rhetoric so of course the media jumped on in it.  They are both equally to blame--yet you seem keen on targeting the media.  It doesn't change the fact he said it and he had a reason for saying it.  Just like he had a reason for saying that he would block all Muslims from coming into the country (which he later had to back away from.).  Just like when he said that he would build a wall and Mexico would pay for it (oh look, he's now asking Congress--and the American tax payer--to pay for it).  The reason is pure and simple--he was feeding his base what they wanted to hear.  He was appealing to the fear, mistrust, hatred...the baser instincts of his followers to energize them to come out and vote.  Ignoring that--not acknowledging that Trump is doing the same exact thing that you are accusing the media of doing--is just naive.

Because Trump has used that type of rhetoric, it's not a far leap for ANY media outlet to paint him (and his followers) as the "basket of deplorables" a small percentage of them probably are.

Fine, I'll talk a little bit about Trump again, since you're so insistent on talking about him when the topic is leftist media and their fake news.

What Trump uses a word for is irrelevant. He uses it for falsehoods about him enjoying piss-parties, whereas everyone else is using it for media bias being offered as fact and news. And Trump with the Mexicans is a perfect example.

Trump said that illegal immigrants were bringing drugs, crime, and rapists (also mentioning he assumed some are good people, which gets left by the wayside). Which is true. But the media decided to portray it as Trump hating Mexicans. As if "illegal immigrant" was now synonymous. So all those who suckle at the teat of leftist media (and you seem to have fallen for it yourself), think he said something he didn't, ergo anyone who supports him is racist. It clearly worked a treat.

But enough with Trump and your desire to keep bringing him up. Trump has a political alignment and a bias because he's in politics now. He's supposed to. What we're talking about (and something you seem to forget) are supposed news outlets, who aren't supposed to have a bias. They're two different things. What Trump does is irrelevant to what they're doing, and we're specifically talking about what they're doing.

13 minutes ago, Doro said:

Fine, I'll talk a little bit about Trump again, since you're so insistent on talking about him when the topic is leftist media and their fake news.

What Trump uses a word for is irrelevant. He uses it for falsehoods about him enjoying piss-parties, whereas everyone else is using it for media bias being offered as fact and news. And Trump with the Mexicans is a perfect example.

Trump said that illegal immigrants were bringing drugs, crime, and rapists (also mentioning he assumed some are good people, which gets left by the wayside). Which is true. But the media decided to portray it as Trump hating Mexicans. As if "illegal immigrant" was now synonymous. So all those who suckle at the teat of leftist media (and you seem to have fallen for it yourself), think he said something he didn't, ergo anyone who supports him is racist. It clearly worked a treat.

But enough with Trump and your desire to keep bringing him up. Trump has a political alignment and a bias because he's in politics now. He's supposed to. What we're talking about (and something you seem to forget) are supposed news outlets, who aren't supposed to have a bias. They're two different things. What Trump does is irrelevant to what they're doing, and we're specifically talking about what they're doing.

You can be politically biased without being...well, Trump.  You can't propagate that kind of rhetoric and not expect there to be an effect--on the media and the general public.  In fact, he says what he says because he knows it will have the desired effect.  But fine, the media...you made a point that the liberal media has more sway and influence over the general public and yet, FoxNews has higher ratings than CNN or MSNBC--combined.  To be fair, I watch FoxNews sometimes--but mostly for the comedic value, not actual news.  There is nothing more amusing than watching Hannity go ape shit crazy over the latest right wing conspiracy.

Most of the TV news is fucked, you get an "analyst" panel sitting around a table talking about bullshit, going around in circles proving/disapproving nothing. By your definition of "fake news"--just about every TV media outlet is guilty of it--because the majority of them will always have that aforementioned panel taking the news and forming their own judgement based on their specific "agendas".  I'd like to think most people can weed through that bullshit and form their own opinions on the actual facts.

By my definition..."fake news" is something that has literally no basis in fact.  The Pizzagate story is the perfect example.  What is not "fake news" to me, is the media taking the following video--Donald's own words--and implying (and offering up for discussion) that he may be focusing on the worst aspect of the immigrant population for political gain.  And yes, he comes across as a tad bit racist.  He's saying that Mexico is not our friend and they are (perhaps intentionally) "sending" the worst of their population.