LOTROCommunity

Have you voted? ;)

1 minute ago, Papi said:

You can be politically biased without being...well, Trump.  You can't propagate that kind of rhetoric and not expect there to be an effect--on the media and the general public.  In fact, he says what he says because he knows it will have the desired effect.  But fine, the media...you made a point that the liberal media has more sway and influence over the general public and yet, FoxNews has higher ratings than CNN or MSNBC--combined.  To be fair, I watch FoxNews sometimes--but mostly for the comedic value, not actual news.  There is nothing more amusing than watching Hannity go ape shit crazy over the latest right wing conspiracy.

Most of the TV news is fucked, you get an "analyst" panel sitting around a table talking about bullshit, going around in circles proving/disapproving nothing. By your definition of "fake news"--just about every TV media outlet is guilty of it--because the majority of them will always have that aforementioned panel taking the news and forming their own judgement based on their specific "agendas".  I'd like to think most people can weed through that bullshit and form their own opinions on the actual facts.

By my definition..."fake news" is something that has literally no basis in fact.  The Pizzagate story is the perfect example.  What is not "fake news" to me, is the media taking the following video--Donald's own words--and implying (and offering up for discussion) that he may be focusing on the worst aspect of the immigrant population for political gain.  And yes, he comes across as a tad bit racist.  He's saying that Mexico is not our friend and they are (perhaps intentionally) "sending" the worst of their population.

I assumed that was the only reason anyone ever watched Fox "News". Anywhere that would employ someone like Bill O'Reily must be doing it for a laugh.

This isn't my definition of Fake News, though. This is one you can take straight off the internet. And it's for the very reason that it's so common place that it's an issue. Since there are more leftist news outlets, it means their agenda is the one that's got the most back up between each other. You've got more faith in people than I do, because from the amount of social media shit I sift through, most of it is just following this leftist bias, believing these news sources are telling the truth. And they're very vocal about it.

As there's an actual definition of fake news out there, we don't need to rely on personal preference of the word. It's not always about a completely fictitious story, it can also be about stories painted with a bias, just as Trump's talk on illegal immigrants being turned to Trump hates Mexicans.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For one thing, anyone who's password is.... 'password' is just an idiot. Regardless I don't give a stuff if Russia is behind it or not (and given that no evidence has been produced, one has to wo

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Doro said:

1. I assumed that was the only reason anyone ever watched Fox "News". Anywhere that would employ someone like Bill O'Reily must be doing it for a laugh.

2. This is one you can take straight off the internet. And it's for the very reason that it's so common place that it's an issue. Since there are more leftist news outlets, it means their agenda is the one that's got the most back up between each other. You've got more faith in people than I do, because from the amount of social media shit I sift through, most of it is just following this leftist bias, believing these news sources are telling the truth. And they're very vocal about it.

3. As there's an actual definition of fake news out there, we don't need to rely on personal preference of the word. It's not always about a completely fictitious story, it can also be about stories painted with a bias, just as Trump's talk on illegal immigrants being turned to Trump hates Mexicans.

1. On that, we can agree.

2. I never rely on social media platforms (FB, twitter, etc) for news.  It's a mind field and not even worth the time--unless your intent is to stay mad at the world.

3. But even then, I'm not going to accept the "actual" definition of the term simply because google or wikipedia has told me that is the definition.  The primary focus of fake news is to spread hoaxes, my argument is that the liberal mainstream media has not waged that campaign.  In the majority of news coverage in regards to Trump, they have had an even-split panel of pro and anti Trump "analysts" discussing the factual news.  I've never seen them run a story that they knew was factually incorrect but labeled it as the truth.

This is the perfect of example of Trump and his team unsuccessfully trying to frame CNN for spreading "fake news":

3 hours ago, Papi said:

Snip - Because Trump has used that type of rhetoric, it's not a far leap for ANY media outlet to paint him (and his followers) as the "basket of deplorables" a small percentage of them probably are.

2 hours ago, Papi said:

Snip -  And yes, he comes across as a tad bit racist.  He's saying that Mexico is not our friend and they are (perhaps intentionally) "sending" the worst of their population.

"small percentage of them probably are" (edit: you could also apply that to a similar number of deplorable Hillary supporters if you were to be honest)

Now apply that to your second comment about Mexicans.

A porous border has always been an invitation to criminal activity. During prohibition the differences between Canadian and American prohibition laws meant that the Canada - America border was a hotspot.

Now the vast majority of Mexicans and Central Americans crossing over the US border are just folks wanting a better life but they are ALL criminals. Canada, UK, USA... all have immigration laws and violation of these laws is criminal. Now having bludgeoned you with, what I hope, is the obvious there is a politically correct / progressive movement to redefine the "illegal" portion of "illegal aliens". One current word they use is "undocumented immigrant" and it is just another attempt to redefine the parameters of an issue according to their agenda. Painting Trump border policies as racist are just another fake news means to advance their agenda when it is actually a case of enforcing our laws = something Obama used Executive Orders to attempt to circumvent since he didn't have the Congressional support to legislate real changes to immigration laws.

In the 80's Castro did intentionally send the worst of the Cuban population during the Mariel Boatlift. With Mexico it is simply money and the Mexican gangs will ship drugs or weapons or people or... whatever will make them a profit. ALL of it is criminal including the illegal aliens.

I hope this is all obvious... at least to anyone who hasn't drank the progressive cool aid.

2 hours ago, fittybolger said:

1. "small percentage of them probably are" (edit: you could also apply that to a similar number of deplorable Hillary supporters if you were to be honest)

2. Now the vast majority of Mexicans and Central Americans crossing over the US border are just folks wanting a better life but they are ALL criminals.

1. Of course you could.  But eventually, when someone points out flaws and/or wrong doings against the Trump team we are going to have to stop referring back to Clinton as somehow a worse or equally bad example.  She lost.  Done deal.  The "I know Trump did this today, but remember when Clinton did this during the campaign?" is a weak counter argument against bad policy going forward.

2. Yes, under the law they are all criminals.  But the majority of them are not rapists, murderers and drug dealers.  If you listen to what Trump actually said, his intentions are clear.  And his little caveat of "I assume that some of them are good people, but...when I talk to the folks at the border patrol..."  It just seems awful disingenuous to me to deny that he wasn't trying to paint the majority of illegal immigrants with one brush when clearly, he was.  

And for the record, the Obama administration has deported more immigrants than any other president:  https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook

10 hours ago, Papi said:

3. But even then, I'm not going to accept the "actual" definition of the term simply because google or wikipedia has told me that is the definition.  The primary focus of fake news is to spread hoaxes, my argument is that the liberal mainstream media has not waged that campaign.  In the majority of news coverage in regards to Trump, they have had an even-split panel of pro and anti Trump "analysts" discussing the factual news.  I've never seen them run a story that they knew was factually incorrect but labeled it as the truth.

This is the perfect of example of Trump and his team unsuccessfully trying to frame CNN for spreading "fake news":

But the argument we're currently making requires the "actual" definition. Otherwise you're arguing against a point not being made.

It's the way the leftist media presents their view or opinion as fact, instead of just presenting the news as is. They love colouring any story with their bias, to suggest that is the only rational position to take. And none of that was more blatant than when Trump won, and they all sat there acting like it was the end of the world (I recall one person telling people that no they weren't in Hell, this was just their life now, with no hint of irony). Not to mention all the crying about how Americans had robbed their daughters of some pride because they didn't vote a woman in (it genuinely became a thing where gender was a more important factor than policies, I think they called it identity politics).

That you can surely agree with? It's fairly blatant (and JRonnie's video is pretty good, and that also involves CNN).

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, Spiteful said:

Lewis was one of the Big Six civil rights leaders.... His credentials as far as civil rights isn't a subject of opinion, it's documented fact. On the other hand Lewis is over the top with his "Illegitimate President" talk. At least as PEOTUS Trump is easy to bait, there was no doubt some tweet was on it's way, lol.

The thing is Trump could only beat Hillary, and Hillary could only beat Trump.

Hillary's 30 years of baggage could never hold up against a strong candidate, and Trump's Populist platform would have fallen to any Dem candidate that campaigned or at least sent someone like the VP candidate to the Rust Belt.

That is the conventional wisdom along with the thinking that this would've been a perfect year for a strong, well financed third party run. 

But I looked at the numbers and Hillary got 65,845,000 popular vote and Obama got 65,916,000 in 2012.

Trump had 63,000,000 and Romney 61,000,000 in 2012. 

The numbers are very similar and those 2 million extra votes for Trump over Romney proved enough in the right Electoral College States. Just as Obama motivated non-traditional voters perhaps Trump also brought in some anti-establishment voters that might otherwise not bother?

A true number crunching would have to be done on a state and district basis. It will also be interesting to see what those numbers look like if Trump and Congress implement tough Voter Registration laws before 2018 mid-terms.

2 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

So it looks like Trump wont release his tax returns after all, big shock.  I wonder what he is hiding.

Wonder away.

Until there is a law passed that actually requires the release of that information President Trump is fully within his rights to tell the world to shove it.

14 minutes ago, fittybolger said:

Wonder away.

Until there is a law passed that actually requires the release of that information President Trump is fully within his rights to tell the world to shove it.

The way not just say that from day 1.  Why say you will release them once your audit is done.  Why lie, it just makes it look like you are hiding something.  

1 hour ago, Laurinaohtar said:

The press conference about inaugaration attendance was possible the greatest thing I have ever seen on TV in my life, comedy gold. I think I'm a fan of this press secretary guy.

go ahead and have a look for yourself at CNN's interactive map:

as for the press secretaries statement, he included global viewership, including live-streaming in that record-breaking claim. & i believe that may indeed be entirely accurate.  he did present a transit number comparison that was incorrect, however.

but given German political censorship of media (social-media), i shouldn't be surprised you haven't seen anything but a one-sided narrative.

the actual side by side while Obama/Trump are actually speaking...  very similar.

7 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

but given German political censorship of media (social-media), i shouldn't be surprised you haven't seen anything but a one-sided narrative.

My German is pretty much limited to asking directions to the train station and ordering a beer, not sure how German media would make much difference to me.

Also is it me or are there posts missing?

15 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Wonder away.

Well, if this was an ordinary business matter Trump would have committed to a contract. He said he would release the his tax declaration after the audio was finished, in a context where he got something in return. That is a binding contract, normally. Whether a contract is spoken or written is irrelevant if there is sufficient proof. Being recorded in video and audio while aware of it would under any normal circumstance establish a contract.

Quite honestly I don't remember a previous president or major candidate who said they would do something after being elected and then not refusing it in this very plain way.

On 12/5/2016 at 10:54 AM, LasraelLarson said:

there are 3 significant fractures happening withing the Dem party at the moment & those rumblings are about to get louder.  they are an aging party & as far as fresh & new is concerned, they are coming up VERY stale.  i am watching this unfold & you may call it premature, but they are in serious trouble.

i really am not kidding about the above:

the DNC hasn't finished losing.  they are pretty much heading towards fully imploding, much like Britians Labor did.

2018 & 2020 & still not a sign of an actual winning game plan.

It's hard to state the exact nature of the voting irregularity involved but 37% of the precincts in Detroit, MI had more votes tabulated than the number of voters that showed up at the polling stations. Was it fraud? Not sure. Something strange happened though.

1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

It's hard to state the exact nature of the voting irregularity involved but 37% of the precincts in Detroit, MI had more votes tabulated than the number of voters that showed up at the polling stations. Was it fraud? Not sure. Something strange happened though.

Didn't Trump win Michigan?

22 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

indeed, the one recount initiated by Jill Stein in Michigan ended up with a finally tally that raised the total for Trump (by a very small margin) and lowered the final total for Hillary.  & ended up exposing the erroneous registration data (in favor of Hillary Clinton) in Detroit.

then there was that whole episode in Florida's Broward County, which was fixed by putting appropriate checks in place, but not before 150,000 votes went through unverified for authenticity & uncontested for irregularities, or tampering:

and as the video linked pages back in this post shows, ID laws do not discriminate:

though in California, the ID isn't much of an issue:

but of course no one should suspect anything fishy...  even though Hillary allegedly won California by 4,269,978 votes...  that settles where the 2,865,075 national popular votes came from.

nothing to see here folks, move along.

8 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

but of course no one should suspect anything fishy...  even though Hillary allegedly won California by 4,269,978 votes...  that settles where the 2,865,075 national popular votes came from.

nothing to see here folks, move along.

DNC gets hacked and leaked = blame it on Russia and condemn foreign influence of elections.

Get tens of thousands of illegal immigrants to vote in the election = don't be racist, why do you hate Mexicans so much, a human can't be illegal, remember Berlin wall.