LOTROCommunity

Have you voted? ;)

10 minutes ago, Papi said:

I couldn't disagree more.  To say that you honestly...genuinely...think that tens of millions of people would celebrate the wholesale slaughter of millions of innocents...either you just flat out hate Muslims...have a twisted, maniacal outlook on your fellow man...or you've been drinking the FoxNews kool-aid for far too long.  Or all three.  

Or the fourth option, that he's using facts over emotion.

A Pew study found that 72% of Muslims opposed violence in the name of Islam. Which left 28% supporting it. Even if that's a biased sample (though it was apparently around 40,000 people from about 39 different countries), and we assume actually only 10% support it, that's still 130 million Muslims out there who would celebrate it.

But sure, we could just cover our ears and pretend that it's just "Islamophibia", a twisted outlook, or some low-quality brainwashing that's involved. All the better to hold on to our feelies with.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For one thing, anyone who's password is.... 'password' is just an idiot. Regardless I don't give a stuff if Russia is behind it or not (and given that no evidence has been produced, one has to wo

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

I also find it funny that the Democrats want to control everyone else's guns, yet want armed guards around them.  Double standards FTW.

So now you're making a false equivalency of 1) the need for a professional, fully trained Secret Service agent and 2) the need for stronger gun control legislation to help prevent mass shootings (for example if you are on the no-fly list, you shouldn't be allowed access to a gun--something the Republicans continue to argue against).

2 minutes ago, Doro said:

A Pew study found that 72% of Muslims opposed violence in the name of Islam. Which left 28% supporting it. Even if that's a biased sample (though it was apparently around 40,000 people from about 39 different countries), and we assume actually only 10% support it, that's still 130 million Muslims out there who would celebrate it.

Come back to me with a study/report that isn't almost 10 years old.

Just now, Papi said:

Come back to me with a study/report that isn't almost 10 years old.

Ha! Centuries of Islamic violence, rising Islamic attacks on the west, and probably the largest organised terror group of all time in the name of Islam, but Papi wants to reject a study because it's only a decade old. I'm sure they're all completely adjusted now, it's all just fear-mongering, move along there's nothing to see here.

10 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

bludgeoning someone to death with work boots.

Not going to has a mass bludgeoning with work boots any time ever.

You wont stop murders with gun control, but you might just make it harder.

Simple things like all guns have to be registered and when you sell a gun you must inform the relevant people that you have sold the gun and who you sold it to, you know just like you do with a car

2 minutes ago, Doro said:

Ha! Centuries of Islamic violence, rising Islamic attacks on the west, and probably the largest organised terror group of all time in the name of Islam, but Papi wants to reject a study because it's only a decade old. I'm sure they're all completely adjusted now, it's all just fear-mongering, move along there's nothing to see here.

I wonder how many Chirstians would cheer the mass killing of Muslims

3 minutes ago, Doro said:

Yes, men seeking power/influence have hidden behind religion as justification to slaughter millions for centuries--it's not limited to "Islamic violence".  Separate the religion from the thug(s) who are hiding behind it.  

Just now, Papi said:

Yes, men seeking power/influence have hidden behind religion as justification to slaughter millions for centuries--it's not limited to "Islamic violence".  Separate the religion from the thug(s) who are hiding behind it.  

Did you miss the part about the tens of millions of people who actually support violence because of their religion, not because of some weird conspiracy where the evil just happen to hide behind dogma?

4 minutes ago, Doro said:

Did you miss the part about the tens of millions of people who actually support violence because of their religion, not because of some weird conspiracy where the evil just happen to hide behind dogma?

If Trump has taught us anything, polls can't be trusted.  It's easy to answer an anonymous poll that asks if you support violence in the name of Islam (which, in itself, is open to interpretation based on the individual being asked), but it's another matter entirely to see a nuke destroy an entire city with millions of people and still cheer in approval. 

7 minutes ago, Papi said:

If Trump has taught us anything, polls can't be trusted.  It's easy to answer an anonymous poll that asks if you support violence in the name of Islam (which, in itself, is open to interpretation based on the individual being asked), but it's another matter entirely to see a nuke destroy an entire city with millions of people and still cheer in approval. 

So the polls are wrong and it's actually the majority of Muslims who support violence in the name of Islam? Because that's what happened with the polls regarding Trump, remember.

But now we're not only trying to dismiss statistics because they happen to not fit in with a particular narrative, we're also guessing what's actually in their heads to try to further deny that yes, there are millions of Muslims out there who are just as bad as many think. Shit Papi, even you can't believe that nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Doro said:

we're also guessing what's actually in their heads...

Aren't you doing the same thing? Using an anonymous poll to back up some hypothetical doomsday scenario where tens of millions of people would rejoice at the wanton slaughter of millions of people??  How much hate do you have to have in your heart towards a people to think that there are tens of millions of them just seething with (mutual) hatred, gleeful at the prospect of seeing us all sent to our maker...because...why again?

/shrug.

16 minutes ago, Papi said:

Aren't you doing the same thing? Using an anonymous poll to back up some hypothetical doomsday scenario where tens of millions of people would rejoice at the wanton slaughter of millions of people??  How much hate do you have to have in your heart towards a people to think that there are tens of millions of them just seething with (mutual) hatred, gleeful at the prospect of seeing us all sent to our maker...because...why again?

/shrug.

Not even slightly. The question was do they support violence in the name of Islam. They answered they did. There's no trying to break it down into "oh well they didn't mean XYZ", it's all encompassing.

And you keep on going back to this bizarre notion that it's somehow an issue with the person stating this fact, not simply the reality of the situation. It doesn't involve any hate to accept the truth, that there are tens of millions of Muslims out there who would support such violence. Why are you incapable of accepting that this is the case? You can't be that naïve to think the world is a bunch of rainbows, chocolate rivers, and everyone dancing (oh, apart from the evil people, who actively hide behind a certain religion in large numbers, because of reasons). It's bordering delusion now.

As to why they'd support it, the answer being because we're kaffir. Their religion promotes the spreading of their faith through violence if needs be. It should hardly surprise you that they'd approve of seeing what they think of as degenerate heathens getting what's coming to them. In their head, it's just. Because they're fucking mental and following a barbaric religion that only helps to further support it. Do you know anything of Islam beyond "well they must be good people because I met one once and he said hello"?

7 minutes ago, Doro said:

Do you know anything of Islam beyond "well they must be good people because I met one once and he said hello"?

I lived and worked with people who follow Islam for nearly three years while stationed abroad, under heightened and often stressful situations.  I have a different perspective than you I think.  I'll just leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

1. How many mass shootings are committed by people that legally own that weapon?  Columbine sure as hell wasn't.  Most of the others weren't either.

2. And this idiotic idea of "let's make guns harder to acquire" is only going to further embolden those who are committing the crimes because the average citizen becomes less well armed.  

3. Funny, people say that when it comes to Islam, but when it comes to Christianity....

1. Do your research, the majority of the mass shootings were done by people who legally owned the gun.

2. Australia would disagree with you.  Again, do your research.

3. Same principle applies (or it should).

22 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Yup Trump is in your face no doubt about it. Tells it like he sees it and done with true alpha male stubbornness. His biggest appeal to me has always been his anti-political status quo. "Screw the "world". This is America and America first". Screw the media. Screw the Democrat and Republican establishment. He is there to get things done and if the American electorate perceives that he is accomplishing this, despite the media, he will be a steamroller. Reagan had the American people so Congress feared his "Bully Pulpit" and if Trump's populism can also achieve this the media and establishment can rant all they want. It's a gamble.

bigly... Bigly... BIGLY YUGE!!!

Stay your hand... wasn't used "in a sentence". :) 

Bigly is actually based upon "big league" or "big time" both of which have been favorite phrases of my brother for years before Trump made them ubiquitous.  

See, you used it in a sentence. *Marty McSorley's Fitty* You know, the thing he did to good ol' Donald Brashear.

21 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Here's why we need a wall:

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/02/06/iraqi-egyptian-nationals-caught-sneaking-across-open-border/

We have absolutely no clue who (or what) is sneaking across that border.  How long until someone sneaks a nuke, loads it into a car with US tags, and then suicide nukes a US city?

We've decided to name the big bad wolf Bigly.  He was getting tired of Bigby...

*Blood-Eagles Almagnus1*

4 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Australia's irrelevant.  It's a constitutional right.

Once again, deflection--Kellyanne-esque style!  Remind me, who is living in a bubble?

And why is that some people always equate tougher gun control laws with "those damn democrats want to take away all my guns!"

4 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

1. It's because in parts of the country, you actually need guns to survive because if you don't kill that animal, you don't eat.

2. And then there's also self defense reason, including having guns (like in Alaska) so you don't end up a meal.

3. Just because you've become so soft living in a city, doesn't mean that there's no legitimate reasons to own a gun.  Besides, if people are being responsible with their guns, what's the issue?

The less said about #1 and #2, the better.

For #3, you assume way too much and clearly you haven't been paying attention.

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Let's put it this way:  How much of the stupid stuff that the Islamics have done in the UK would have been halted/prevented if the citizens would have been armed?

How many terrorist attacks in the US have been prevented by armed civilians? 

24 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

How many terrorist attacks in the US have been prevented by armed civilians? 

Specifically terrorist attacks, there's not been many examples. But for gun crime in general, there are lots of examples of concealed carry citizens countering cowardly criminals (dat alliteration). Does it offset the number of actual killings with guns? Not by a long shot.

The issue with the US and guns isn't merely its constitution (the thing so often held up as set in stone, even though amendments exist), or the proliferation of guns ("yerp, I need me all these dozens of automatic rifles for killin' deer n' such"). It's its borders. You could take away every gun from every citizen, and still criminals are going to be able to get guns. The UK and Australia get by because of the natural borders separating them from the mainland, but the US gets to be pally with a place infamous for crime. It would be like trying to keep guns out of Iraq; without a fuckoff wall, there's no chance.

What needs to happen in the US isn't complete removal of guns. It's making them more regulated. Allow specific people to carry weapons (not just cops, but citizens), who have passed multiple tests (both mental and physical), are fully licenced, regularly report to a governing body, and limit just how many weapons each person can own (there's no need for people who have whole arsenals of weapons). If the mind-set can be changed from "DEY AIN'T TAKIN' MAH GURNS" to "I have a serious duty as a gun-owner to protect everyone around me", the number of gun-crimes might just drop.

As it currently stands, while inner-city ghetto criminals are busy "popping caps" in every person just for looking at them sideways, guns are an impediment to public safety, not a securer of it.