LOTROCommunity

Have you voted? ;)

LasraelLarson

41 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

I skimmed the site, which is how I came to the conclusion that Citizen's Advice is basically a British PAC - aka a lobbyist organization.

Nah, Citizen's Advice is basically what it says on the tin: it gives advice to those who need it. Stops people feeling too ignorant when it comes to aspects of their lives, and a place they can fall back on for legitimate information on a problem they're facing.

8 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

Just watched that trump news conference, I'm afraid all it did was confirm my feelings that he is a bit of a twat.

Oh that he is. Been watching loads of backdated footage of his awkward-as-fuck handshake and it's becoming more and more evident he's overcompensating for his age (not that the vague suggestion he calls hair wasn't enough to tell). Pulling people around in a weird attempt at dominance just shows him as more of a weak bully than someone to respect.

51 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

Just watched that trump news conference, I'm afraid all it did was confirm my feelings that he is a bit of a twat. 

Also citizens advice is a valuable and under-appreciated job. 

In general, the 1500 or so people I've helped since I started 2 years ago are very appreciative, but there's always the odd few that are in situations they cannot get out of, and those are usually the ones who are the least appreciative.

Also, those that volunteer their time there......fantastic people, is all I have to say. 

1 hour ago, LordVorontur said:

In general, the 1500 or so people I've helped since I started 2 years ago are very appreciative, but there's always the odd few that are in situations they cannot get out of, and those are usually the ones who are the least appreciative.

Also, those that volunteer their time there......fantastic people, is all I have to say. 

My thinking was Citizens Advice served as a sort of traffic cop directing people through the spiders web of various government agencies, charities, churches... that might offer specific assistance for their particular needs?

As for Trump...

Tomorrow will be four weeks since he was sworn in. The "honeymoon" most elected officials enjoy ended on election night for Trump and confrontation began... or rather confrontation continued and dramatically increased from where the campaign left off. I think it is geared more toward eroding support for Trump in Congress and thus kill his agenda.

16 hours ago, fittybolger said:

My thinking was Citizens Advice served as a sort of traffic cop directing people through the spiders web of various government agencies, charities, churches... that might offer specific assistance for their particular needs?

As for Trump...

Tomorrow will be four weeks since he was sworn in. The "honeymoon" most elected officials enjoy ended on election night for Trump and confrontation began... or rather confrontation continued and dramatically increased from where the campaign left off. I think it is geared more toward eroding support for Trump in Congress and thus kill his agenda.

Well, not quite, Fitty. Citizens Advice IS a Charity. We don't tend to direct people to government agencies as it's usually about government agencies they want advice ;) We provide advice on a massive range of topics. It's only when it starts becoming more legal(such as family law, employment tribunals, complex immigration cases)where we start finding alternatives. Where I work, we do have Family Law and Employment Law Solicitors coming into the office on specific days to see Clients who get referred to them, for a free consultation. We used to have Immigration Solicitors coming in as well, but we do have alternative services to direct people to.

The two main topics we have Clients coming in about, both locally and nationally, are Benefits and Debt. Free Debt Advice is a godsend for most of our Clients. Free Benefit advice, help with forms, help with appeals and potential representation at Tribunals, this is something we specialize in.

The only thing we really use a church connection for in my area are for foodbanks and homeless shelters.

Also, we do research into issues that affect the local area, and the wider area, as well as nationally, and campaign for change.

That sounds awesome!

I wish we had a similar umbrella service here in Canada. I have been spending time with disadvantaged individuals for the last few months and even what I had suggested before (traffic cop directing to appropriate agencies) would be of benefit for many.

Our Social Services (welfare, disability...) are terribly understaffed, overworked and under appreciated even though I feel they are, in general, caring people who want to help... but are simply burnt-out.

My personal pet peeve is something as simple as helping people who lack adequate budgeting skills. I know people who abuse alcohol and drugs and, well, they will never be able to budget for that but others simply lack the proper decision making ability and also don't fit the criteria for an appointed trustee... fall through the cracks.

Well done!

On 2/15/2017 at 10:50 PM, Jedy2 said:

Dear  LasraellLarson,

Once you've finished fucking Ukraine, please go, get a room and fuck yourself. 

oh ease up.  two things:

1.) here is a Canadian article from the usually left east coast & the author openly bashes Stephan Harper (former Conservative PM of Can.) offering up some material to consider regarding the Ukraine...

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/7146728-canada-should-not-renew-mission-to-ukraine/

my opinion on Ukraine is actually counter to what Trump and his cabinet have so far publicly stated, which granted isn't much, but the sanctions against Russia over Crimea remain in place so far.

&

2.) you think Poland is magically immune to attack should this escalate to boiling point?

having all those NATO troops stationed in Poland, what if conventional means are bypassed for a quick Victory?  ...  all those troops gone & most of Poland in the process.  this sabre rattling is foolish, when backed by massive conventional maneuvers.

18 hours ago, Laurinaohtar said:

i am sure you meant dick or ass... a twat would just lie down and get fucked repeatedly by the media.  Trump will never be a twat.  EVER.

i quite enjoyed the press conference.

even with the electoral collage blunder;  this was classic Trump & he has put the "VERY" fake news & scumbag leakers on notice.

my favorite moment was with the CNN stooge who got told to shut up and sit down in the previous press conference in January 11:

18 hours ago, Doro said:

Been watching loads of backdated footage of his awkward-as-fuck handshake and it's becoming more and more evident he's overcompensating for his age (not that the vague suggestion he calls hair wasn't enough to tell). Pulling people around in a weird attempt at dominance just shows him as more of a weak bully than someone to respect.

i assume you are taking about the John Oliver piece, rather than some exhaustive research?

regardless, photo-shoots tend to be awkwardly long in general.  not sure this is actual indication of anything really.

i do however suspect there is an element to Trumps presentation that invites some to perceive him in a less than flattering light...  i'll get to that next reply.

16 hours ago, fittybolger said:

As for Trump...

perhaps.

John McCain & Lindsey Graham are the biggest concerns.  also Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio & John Kasich for that matter. even Jeb Bush to a degree.  we shall see just how long and how hard they oppose as the days and weeks progress.

remember this from back on January 11?:

rather a simple test really, simple enough that many would underestimate him, yet again...

but what if this whole episode with Flynn was nothing more than a canary trap?  Flynn was the 18th director of the DIA.  it is well within the realm of the possible that he could have designed a much more sophisticated version of the above.  high risk gambit, all the same.  this certainly did fire, what appears to be all engines, in attack formation, pretty much across the board.

Trump has very competent people in his employ.  i think selling him short is a mistake.

we shall see if the leaks continue & who falls in line...

the fallout, whilst intense, is predictable.  time, as always, will tell if he weathers this storm.

13 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

i assume you are taking about the John Oliver piece, rather than some exhaustive research?

Nope, I'm talking about watching a load of videos on YouTube of Trump trying to shake people's hands (though it seems he thinks it's more like tug of war). I wouldn't watch John Oliver if I was riddled with space-aids and his clips were the only cure.

8 minutes ago, Doro said:

Nope, I'm talking about watching a load of videos on YouTube of Trump trying to shake people's hands (though it seems he thinks it's more like tug of war). I wouldn't watch John Oliver if I was riddled with space-aids and his clips were the only cure.

ah capiche.  i guess we just have a different read on it.  to me photo-shoots aside, it seems more playful antics in line with these theatrics:

theatrics.

also, this is a really fantastic photo!

c4tul0gwqae3y_3.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

the guy is not going to present what would be considered convention for a president.  should he weather the early storms, i do see a significant shift, (more than the current Rasmussen polls) in favorability.  he is going to get tons of things done.  & just like canceling TPP, there will be other issues that he knocks down, that will be key outside his perceived base.

also, John Oliver reminds me of a weasel.

1 hour ago, LasraelLarson said:

ah capiche.  i guess we just have a different read on it.  to me photo-shoots aside, it seems more playful antics in line with these theatrics:

1 hour ago, LasraelLarson said:

theatrics.

Theatrics? Trump just tweeted that the news media is "the enemy of the people". This goes beyond theatrics. What's alarming is that people like you can't see how dangerous that rhetoric truly is.

25 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

how exactly is it dangerous?

dangerous to what?

he has not locked out the media.

No, he hasn't locked out the media.  In this day and age, one would hope that he would never be able to do so. 

He spends way too much time trying to discredit the news media--even when he's fact-checked on the spot and tries to blame it on someone else.  It's a distraction, he should stick to running the country.

The latest news conference should have been about policy, highlighting all the "ton of stuff" he's been able to accomplish, but it was an hour long rant against...oh yeah, the press.

He is widening his attacks to basically every media outlet that doesn't cover him favorably.  Freedom of speech/the press is integral to our Constitution and his attempts to discredit the press speaks volumes.  

Even members of his political party are publicly asking him to stay on message and stop with the distractions.  All of this just adds fire to the division already existing in our country. 

10 minutes ago, Papi said:

No, he hasn't locked out the media.  In this day and age, one would hope that he would never be able to do so. 

He spends way too much time trying to discredit the news media--even when he's fact-checked on the spot and tries to blame it on someone else.  It's a distraction, he should stick to running the country.

The latest news conference should have been about policy, highlighting all the "ton of stuff" he's been able to accomplish, but it was an hour long rant against...oh yeah, the press.

He is widening his attacks to basically every media outlet that doesn't cover him favorably.  Freedom of speech/the press is integral to our Constitution and his attempts to discredit the press speaks volumes.  

Even members of his political party are publicly asking him to stay on message and stop with the distractions.  All of this just adds fire to the division already existing in our country.

from video:

- Michael Flynn resigned, not exactly the same thing as being fired.  it is actually an important distinction.  Flynn may be back.  i can't predict Trump here, but i don't think Flynn is actually gone, merely not in front of the scenes. he may be back, he may continue to operate outside of an official tittle.

also Flynn's lie was an omission, one that could have been manufactured to leak various versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_trap

the actual transcript of Flynn's conversation with Russian ambassador is unpublished.  all the media did was inform the public of a leak, with no details.

you assume only one version was leaked.  yet not one media actually published a transcript.

the leaks ARE real; the news is fake.

additionally you haven't yet unpacked the danger.  what is risked by Trump repeatedly lambasting the media?

Chris Como's hurt feelings?

co-anchor even laughed at Como's hyperbole.

the press has remained free to lambast Trump non stop since he officially started to run against Clinton News Networks cherished nominee Hillary (& even before, though the focus was much different when it was just against other Republicans.)  & Trump will continue to use that against them.

again, what is the danger?  outline & unpack that please, because i don't see a danger.

Just now, LasraelLarson said:

- Michael Flynn resigned, not exactly the same thing as being fired.  it is actually an important distinction.  Flynn may be back.  i can't predict Trump here, but i don't think Flynn is actually gone, merely not in front of the scenes. he may be back, he may continue to operate outside of an official tittle.

Depends of what he actually discussed.  Potentially what he did was illegal and he could face prosecution.

What we do know is the sanctions are holding up a $500 billion oil deal that Exxon has with Russia, given who is the secretary of state, it would be a massive shock it that deal was not discussed in relation to the sanctions.

9 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

from video:

- Michael Flynn resigned, not exactly the same thing as being fired.  it is actually an important distinction. 

again, what is the danger?  outline & unpack that please, because i don't see a danger.

if you don't see the potential danger in the POTUS actively trying to diminish freedom of the press by discrediting them (simply because he doesn't like what they say), then what else more needs to be said?

Also, Flynn was asked to resign, he didn't voluntarily come forward.  Trump has said that repeatedly, even in the latest news conference (granted, his mouth pieces have tried to say the opposite the past few days).  Translation, he was fired.

48 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

Depends of what he actually discussed.  Potentially what he did was illegal and he could face prosecution.

What we do know is the sanctions are holding up a $500 billion oil deal that Exxon has with Russia, given who is the secretary of state, it would be a massive shock it that deal was not discussed in relation to the sanctions.

you don't think General Michael Flynn knew he was being recorded?

and yes it does depend on what he actually discussed.  curious that was not actually made print, no?

now if the IC did have an actual case (FBI having listened to the tapes of conversation in question cleared Flynn on January 23, 2017) spooks would NOT leak, in fact if they had a legitimate case, they WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT LEAK!

so the initial press to talk, (Washington Post & New York Times) whilst they do not produce a transcript, the do seem to be 2 separate versions of the leak.  now did all the other media just repeat these 2 alleged claims, or where there more than just the 2 versions?

could be a canary trap like gambit after all...

40 minutes ago, Papi said:

if you don't see the potential danger in the POTUS actively trying to diminish freedom of the press by discrediting them (simply because he doesn't like what they say), then what else more needs to be said?

Also, Flynn was asked to resign, he didn't voluntarily come forward.  Trump has said that repeatedly, even in the latest news conference (granted, his mouth pieces have tried to say the opposite the past few days).  Translation, he was fired.

so if the press can maintain credibility, does their freedom still diminish?

i fail to see how being critical, does anything more, than challenge a narrative.

does the narrative not stand or fall on it's own "soundness?"

how has the press been stifled from reporting in a single way due to actions of Trump?

On 2/17/2017 at 4:42 PM, Almagnus1 said:

Freedom of the press was created so the press can actually be journalists...

Not propagandists.

actually no.  Editorial & Opinion are fully credible.

all freedom of the press guarantees is not being subject to government regulations or licensing.

it is no protection against libel, however.  http://www.schooljournalism.org/libel-laws-freedom-of-the-press-and-journalistic-ethics/

On 2/16/2017 at 4:22 PM, Doro said:

watching loads of backdated footage of his awkward-as-fuck handshake...

had to revisit this as a showdown may be in the works:

heh.

What the hell was Trump on about last night, what happened in Sweden.  In his speech about refugees he said something happen last night in Sweden.  Yet more fake stories from Trump about refugees.  He goes on about the media and fake news, yet he and his team are often the ones spouting fake news.

2 hours ago, cossieuk said:

What the hell was Trump on about last night, what happened in Sweden.  In his speech about refugees he said something happen last night in Sweden.  Yet more fake stories from Trump about refugees.  He goes on about the media and fake news, yet he and his team are often the ones spouting fake news.

Edit- seems the tweet I linked got removed