LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Woeg

Standing Stone Games Aquisition of LOTRO and DDO

The game could be profitable, but not profitable enough for WB.  A small company may be happy with the current levels of profit the game makes.

If SSG is truly independent, and if their only games are Lotro and DDO, then this could be the best thing for Lotro. I guess it depends if SSG will have the money to keep running and put money into the game.  

If Daybreak is only the publisher, maybe they can't mess up development.

It is hard to imagine that the game gets worse under the new ownership. Looking forward to it.

And maybe the new owners will be a bit more willing to say specifically what the license status is.

I am wary of everything these days. Caution, I urge. It could be good. It could be bad. I am going to see how it all transpires before making a prediction either way.

2 minutes ago, LordVorontur said:

Damn you, Papi, I cannae get distracted! I have loads of paperwork, lol.

my apologies :)

6 hours ago, warspeech said:

new accounts can't be created, but existing accounts can access servers til December 31 2017!  2017?  can't help but wonder if that is a typo and should be 2016?  regardless i very much doubt Turbine will host til the end of 2017.

9 hours ago, warspeech said:

Maybe not right away, but once the Game of Thrones mobile game tanks, the folks let go from Turb could hopefully get picked up by Standing Stone. 

only active Title Turbine has right now is Batman Arkham Underworld & the record breaking budget earmarked for the game of thrones mobile game...  i think that budget will stay on the books until all current assets are transferred completely & then it will be recouped for purpose of sale of Warner as a whole.

i still think Turbine will be completely shuttered by Warner shortly after it transfers out, or closes out all current properties... or long before the end of 2017.

as for Standing Stone going on a hiring spree?  not likely.

this whole move to publisher "Daybreak Games.LLC" (LLC stands for Limited Liability Company) which is owned by Columbus Nova:

Founded in 2000, Columbus Nova ("CN") is a multi-strategy investment firm managing assets through its own funds and affiliated

portfolio companies. CN has a broad investment mandate which allows investments across all levels of the capital structure from senior secured debt to equity. CN takes a value-oriented, long-term view to investing and seeks consistent returns with an emphasis on capital preservation. CN is headquartered in New York.

i'll say again, Warner is cleaning up the accounting books for sale/merger.

Lotro & DDO will continue, but the operation needs to be VERY lean.  minimal investment, maximum return.  this isn't the "Renaissence" for Lotro, but merely a move that allows for it to continue.  and given the nature of laws surrounding LLC companies & multi strategy investment firms like Columbus Nova, that would be another 3 year window max.

1 hour ago, LordVorontur said:

Lasrael, it says 31st JANUARY 2017.

ah, indeed it does.  well, that makes a great deal more sense now.

January 31st 2017 is a much shorter time frame (than December 31st.)  ;)

hmmm...

in that case, i think it is very likely Turbine will completely shutter within the first quarter of 2017 (or by April.)

Whoever owns it, I doubt they'll overturn the stupid trait trees, so it's still not the game I paid a Lifetime account for. Especially when it seems that this is no more than creating a sub-company of Turbine rejects to keep the game going. Not a great sign, in my eyes.

As a side note: This actually made me go visit the restricted forums for the first time in ages, and I was amazed to find that Radhruin (or whatever his name is) is STILL acting like a prat and thinks he's the be all and end all of lore. That level of dedication to pettiness deserves some sort of knobhead medal, surely?

16 hours ago, Doro said:

As a side note: This actually made me go visit the restricted forums for the first time in ages, and I was amazed to find that Radhruin (or whatever his name is) is STILL acting like a prat and thinks he's the be all and end all of lore. That level of dedication to pettiness deserves some sort of knobhead medal, surely?

The vilest of all trolls. Always the first in all my ignore lists. (Had to use alt account for a while due to forum trouble.)

On topic, I'm on the cautiously optimistic side with a grain of wishfullness added :P

On 19.12.2016 at 7:54 PM, Tarantula said:

What does this mean?
It’s business as usual for both LOTRO and DDO’s operations and development.

To be perfectly honest, this comes rather across as a threat than as a promise.

SCNR

SNy

On 12/20/2016 at 8:13 PM, Darmokk said:

And maybe the new owners will be a bit more willing to say specifically what the license status is.

Per Cordovan on the OF today...."As stated in the FAQ, the license has been renewed. Since this license is no different from every other IP license, and since it's a standard piece of behind the scenes business, it is not something we are going to provide further specifics on. Suffice it to say, the license will continue to be a non-issue for the rest of the game's life, and we expect to continue developing LOTRO for many, many years to come, with your support."

On 12/20/2016 at 3:13 PM, Darmokk said:

It is hard to imagine that the game gets worse under the new ownership. Looking forward to it.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649812-An-open-letter-to-the-new-Standing-Stone-team&p=7678093#post7678093

According to Cordovan it has been renewed

20 hours ago, Doro said:

Haha I see him spouting off in the open letter thread.  I havent touched the fanboi forums in ages until this new announcement.  Really wish they would have acted on my ticket instead of ignoring it

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649812-An-open-letter-to-the-new-Standing-Stone-team&p=7678093#post7678093

Ive tried to search the FAQ there, there is no FAQ, the FAQ page gives you a search box. I type in license and it says no results.  I think we have a Sapience™ run around going here.  If anybody with forum access can find this so called license renewal announcement Id love to see it

1 hour ago, Papi said:

Per Cordovan on the OF today...."As stated in the FAQ, the license has been renewed. Since this license is no different from every other IP license, and since it's a standard piece of behind the scenes business, it is not something we are going to provide further specifics on. Suffice it to say, the license will continue to be a non-issue for the rest of the game's life, and we expect to continue developing LOTRO for many, many years to come, with your support."

Which license? LOTRO to Saentz? Or Saentz to Tolkien enterprises.

Why do they refuse to give further specifics? Such as how long the license runs now?

2 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Which license? LOTRO to Saentz? Or Saentz to Tolkien (enterprises.) Estate.

Why do they refuse to give further specifics? Such as how long the license runs now?

Saul Zaentz Company IS Tolkien Enterprises, same entity.  you mean Tolkien Estate, which is Christopher & the heirs.

as for specifics, don't even bother; there aren't any (no public announcements anyway.)

the license issue is no longer relevant.  the Tolkien Estate settled out of Court (process started in December of last year.)  nothing was made public.  the formalities are out of view of the public eye & will likely remain that way (as it was likely conditioned into the new agreements.)  there is no more lawsuit.

just like Cordovan's predecessor (Hea-tool) had no leeway to clarify details, neither does Cordovan.

Lotro will continue into 2017 and probably beyond.

as to specifics?  given the current structuring of the developer & publisher, you won't get any.

but if my novice understanding of how Companies like Columbus Nova operate, we are looking at another 3 year window (2020.)  more than enough time to complete the Trilogy story & putz around with other monitization concepts to milk as much revenue out of a small development team.

ask Cordovan how many people currently work at Standing Stone games... i bet it is less than a dozen. ;)

but as for clarification details regarding licensing & shelf life of the game...  you've already been told everything there is to tell.

13 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

the license issue is no longer relevant.  the Tolkien Estate settled out of Court (process started in December of last year.)  nothing was made public.  the formalities are out of view of the public eye & will likely remain that way (as it was likely conditioned into the new agreements.)  there is no more lawsuit.

Linkage?

9 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

Linkage?

there are no news sources to link.  the parties agreed to settlement talks last December, just prior to the first court date for the actual lawsuit case.  it wasn't covered anywhere.  the case never made it to court.

also ask Cordovan if the new team of Standing Stone games all took a pay cut?

8 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

Saul Zaentz Company IS Tolkien Enterprises, same entity.  you mean Tolkien Estate, which is Christopher & the heirs.

as for specifics, don't even bother; there aren't any (no public announcements anyway.)

just like Cordovan's predecessor (Hea-tool) had no leeway to clarify details, neither does Cordovan.

as to specifics?  given the current structuring of the developer & publisher, you won't get any.

but if my novice understanding of how Companies like Columbus Nova operate, we are looking at another 3 year window (2020.)  more than enough time to complete the Trilogy story & putz around with other monitization concepts to milk as much revenue out of a small development team.

ask Cordovan how many people currently work at Standing Stone games... i bet it is less than a dozen. ;)

but as for clarification details regarding licensing & shelf life of the game...  you've already been told everything there is to tell.

Ahh thanks. I really dont care for details, just more do care that it is extended. Thanks for that clarification even if its totally unclear.

Lotro is currently the only game Im mucking around in and its more to hang with old friends than honest to goodness gaming.  More or less biding time until D3 Necro, hopefully that breathes some life back into that game

On 12/20/2016 at 9:20 PM, Doro said:

Ugh, that guy.  I scroll past his stuff now, but every once in a while the odd phrase catches my eye.  Knobhead is a great word for him.

10 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

Thank you!  

15 hours ago, Papi said:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7678093#post7678093 here is the link for those who are too lazy to search ;)

And if the license has a line like "when the license ends, the plug has to be pulled" the above statement is always true. Because when the license expires, the game ends, so it's not alive anymore, thus not an issue ;)