LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Moderate Peril

Do you have a project for 2017?

I like projects. But I also have all the baggage that comes with real life. IE making money, relationships and not dying. However I reckon if you organise your life adequately you can fit in side tasks and stick with them.

So I'm back to writing blog content everyday this year. I've done it before and it just takes a bit of discipline. I'm also working on a new monthly podcast about movies. It's going to be in-depth and aimed at those who consider themselves buffs.

If memory serves, quite a lot of you folk are creative and do "stuff". Anyone else got themselves a project(s) for 2017 (not to be confused with bullshit resolutions that never get achieved :) )?

• Upvote 1

I want to learn some tailoring skills so I can alter some favorite clothes that are too good to throw out but don't fit quite right anymore.  (I've lost some weight and lots of my clothes are way too baggy now).  Buying new stuff is fun, but finding things in stores that I actually want to wear is subject to the whims of the fashion industry.  Styles and/or colors of items in the shops aren't always flattering to me so I'd like to have a little more control over that.  Plus who wants to look like everyone else on the street?

Instead of my usual "dive in then see how deep it is" approach, I'm breaking it down into steps to research sewing machines before I buy one, revisit fabric shops, and look for library books and online guides on how to make alterations.  There's a good chance that for some things it'll be safer and less frustrating to take them to an alteration shop, but I'm sure that for other things I should be perfectly fine doing it myself.  I used to sew when I was younger (a *lot* younger :) ) and I'd like to get back to it.

I've got three pseudonyms I write under and I've got an arseload of books to finish up this year. The sci-fi/horror/fantasy stories don't sell well but I always look forward to writing it, whereas the erotica and young adult shit keeps me afloat but I fucking hate it. Who knew that teenaged girls and middle-aged women were the biggest readers?

I wish I had more time for projects. Maybe finally finish my Telecaster project, and also starting on the other 2 guitars I am going to build. Start driving lessons again, and hopefully get a license, which would lead to me not having to get up as early, lol.

I (finally) decided on (and actually bought) a guitar and am in the process of learning to play it. Intend to practice every day. Fingers mostly stopped hurting by now. :P

SNy

3 hours ago, SNy said:

I (finally) decided on (and actually bought) a guitar and am in the process of learning to play it. Intend to practice every day. Fingers mostly stopped hurting by now. :P

SNy

ever heard of Rocksmith?

Such an excellent learning tool, plus got cool things like arcade games where you use your guitar. Lessons included as well, plus Learn A Song.

So many DLC's as well with song packs. The original Rocksmith's been out 5 years, and there's a 2014 version which is more upto date, and also, has recently been remastered with a lot of improvements. I try and play as much as possible. Uses a real guitar, not one of them guitar hero plastic jobbies!

Btw, acoustic or electric?

And what brand/model?

2 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

ever heard of Rocksmith?

Such an excellent learning tool, plus got cool things like arcade games where you use your guitar. Lessons included as well, plus Learn A Song.

So many DLC's as well with song packs. The original Rocksmith's been out 5 years, and there's a 2014 version which is more upto date, and also, has recently been remastered with a lot of improvements. I try and play as much as possible. Uses a real guitar, not one of them guitar hero plastic jobbies!

Btw, acoustic or electric?

And what brand/model?

Yeah, I had borrowed a friend's electric years ago, and also played a bit Rocksmith, and Rocksmith 2014. They are cool, but I disagree about the learning tool. Didactically, they aren't that good, because there's just no learning curve. It gets way to hard+fast way too quickly and there's no actual ramp-up to it.

So I let it lay dormant for quite some time, then after the longest while decided to get one for myself in summer, and finally got it at the end of November.

I did intend to get an electrical, either way, to use it with the games, but then decided on a middle ground between them, and got a steel-string acoustic with a pickup. Ibanez Talman TCM50 in Vintage Sunburst. Currently I do some easy lessons from online media and two DIY tutorial books, christmas and children's songs aren't that difficult to do and I am beginning to get the hang of changing chords while strumming, so I am having fun. :)

SNy

46 minutes ago, SNy said:

Yeah, I had borrowed a friend's electric years ago, and also played a bit Rocksmith, and Rocksmith 2014. They are cool, but I disagree about the learning tool. Didactically, they aren't that good, because there's just no learning curve. It gets way to hard+fast way too quickly and there's no actual ramp-up to it.

So I let it lay dormant for quite some time, then after the longest while decided to get one for myself in summer, and finally got it at the end of November.

I did intend to get an electrical, either way, to use it with the games, but then decided on a middle ground between them, and got a steel-string acoustic with a pickup. Ibanez Talman TCM50 in Vintage Sunburst. Currently I do some easy lessons from online media and two DIY tutorial books, christmas and children's songs aren't that difficult to do and I am beginning to get the hang of changing chords while strumming, so I am having fun. :)

SNy

As long as it remains fun, you're doing it right :D

I've backed Kingdom Death: Monster on kickstarter so my big 2017 project will be assembling and painting 15 million minatures at the end of the year.

But my real project this year is self improvement.  Started working out and plan on losing 10kg by the end of the year.  My business is growing and I plan on really devoting myself to make that work (whilst still being the primary carer for my kids which makes it hard).