Jump to content
LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

High Elf Race to be added to LotRO...

Recommended Posts

:eyeroll:

Do you think it will be a "premium" class?  Maybe it will come with purchasing the expansion, like warden/runekeeper with Moria?

Aside from that announcement, there's a whole lot of nuthin' in those interview answers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, warspeech said:

:eyeroll:

Do you think it will be a "premium" class?  Maybe it will come with purchasing the expansion, like warden/runekeeper with Moria?

Aside from that announcement, there's a whole lot of nuthin' in those interview answers.

 

there are a few lore reasons why introducing them now doesn't make sense.  Knowing the history with this team (and they can call themselves SSG all they want, this is still Turbine), it will probably be a premium class to help boost sales of the expansion--along with the new character models.  Class/Race combo maybe?  More than likely OP as fuck, but the devs don't care about class balance anyway so that's not really an issue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be a playable _race_, not a new class.

Doesn't change anything wrt. the rest of what you both said, though.

"Mainly focus on the existing user-base" and "bring attention to the new expansions", right. That new race will surely help with that. I can just imagine the die-hard lorites being especially fond about it.

SNy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darmokk said:

I didn't know they would be brave enough to put dope in.

To be fair there has been weed in the game since it launched

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who was around? Glorfindel, Galadriel, Celeborn, Cirdan? Maybe a couple more in Rivendell and Grey Havens? Elrond and offspring I suppose. That's about it, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Who was around? Glorfindel, Galadriel, Celeborn, Cirdan? Maybe a couple more in Rivendell and Grey Havens? Elrond and offspring I suppose. That's about it, right?

Cirdan, despite being the oldest elf left, isn't actually a high elf. He's one of the dark elves, that never made it to Aman.

And Elrond is such a mongrel that I'm unsure how to actually classify him (he's got various elven bloodlines, a number of half-elf ancestors, AND the blood of a Maia), but I think most class him as a high elf just for the sake of it.

So we're sitting at even less known true high elves than we started with (apparently Gildor is another high elf, though). They might as well be introducing an actual Dunedain race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure Celeborn ever made it to Aman either (prior eventually going in the 4th Age sometime of course).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Not sure Celeborn ever made it to Aman either (prior eventually going in the 4th Age sometime of course).

You're right. So that's another one down. We're running out of high elves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High Elves are those who specifically saw the light of the Two Trees of Valinor, specifically the Noldor, the Teleri and the Vanyar.  Of those three groups, only some of the Noldor remained in Middle-earth.

 

Some Noldor dwelt among the Elves of Beleriand who moved to the Grey Havens, but many moved to Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion to join with Celebrimbor and his smiths.  The precise number of those is not known.

 

When a number of them fled from the influence of Annatar/Sauron, some fled to Rivendell, others to the Grey Havens and others crossed the Misty Mountains and followed Galadriel (who was of the High Elves) and Celeborn.(who was not of the High Elves) to Lothlórien.  The precise number of that remnant is unknown.

 

A number of the more famous High Elves have been mentioned in this topic (Galadriel, Glorfindel, etc.), saying that there is only this-or-that number of them is like saying that the more popular or successful rugby players constitute the whole of the sport.

 

Can SSG keep their use lore-appropriate?  Given the prior track record, not likely, but what will happen will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Introducing another race at the 10th year when the discussion is how unplayable the new areas are, how the endgame is store driven and more grindy with every update, hence very alt-unfriendly... this is idiotic.

On the other hand, races are almost cosmetic in Lotro, except for some specific class choices. Either this high-elf should be able to be captain (is necessary a whole class for this? NO) or have an unique class, in other words: another jack-of-all-trades.

The whole point behind this is another gimmick for the store. Maybe to sell overpriced Mordor expansions. Same disease from DDO. (http://ddowiki.com/page/Iconic_Heroes). Not like the previous teams did it very well, but having Lotro in the same hands that converted DDO in a ghost town, is worrisome.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All High Elves possess all three Silmarils which correspond to trait trees:

Telperion tree - silver for healing tree. When a High Elf releases the power of Telperion it results in a 100 meter AOE that heals all fellowship 100% and simultaneously deals 100 meter AOE +5 Silver Vorpal Light damage to all enemies and produces a miniature Feanor pet that demoralizes the enemy with vicious French taunts declaring their mothers are hamsters and their fathers smell of elderberries! 

Laurelin tree - gold for damage tree. When a High Elf releases the power of Laurelin it deals a 100 meter AOE +5 Gold Vorpal Light damage to all enemies  and simultaneously releases a 100 meter AOE that heals all fellowship 100% and produces a miniature Feanor pet that farts in the enemies general direction. 

Idunno tree - silvery, goldy support and tanking and ranged damage and melee damage and fire damage and lightning damage and ice damage and .... lots of other damage and healing tree. When a High Elf releases the power of Idunno it results in a 100 meter AOE that heals all fellowship 100% and simultaneously deals 100 meter AOE +5 Idunno Vorpal Light damage to all enemies and produces a miniature Feanor Hobbit pet that eats all enemy food supplies and declares "none shall pass" and "I'm invincible". (this tree is considered slightly OP in Bullroarer)

All Tree Trees are instant cast and have instant cooldown... cause.... well, duh, cause they are Trees dumbass.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fittybolger said:

All High Elves possess all three Silmarils which correspond to trait trees:

Telperion tree - silver for healing tree. When a High Elf releases the power of Telperion it results in a 100 meter AOE that heals all fellowship 100% and simultaneously deals 100 meter AOE +5 Silver Vorpal Light damage to all enemies and produces a miniature Feanor pet that demoralizes the enemy with vicious French taunts declaring their mothers are hamsters and their fathers smell of elderberries! 

Laurelin tree - gold for damage tree. When a High Elf releases the power of Laurelin it deals a 100 meter AOE +5 Gold Vorpal Light damage to all enemies  and simultaneously releases a 100 meter AOE that heals all fellowship 100% and produces a miniature Feanor pet that farts in the enemies general direction. 

Idunno tree - silvery, goldy support and tanking and ranged damage and melee damage and fire damage and lightning damage and ice damage and .... lots of other damage and healing tree. When a High Elf releases the power of Idunno it results in a 100 meter AOE that heals all fellowship 100% and simultaneously deals 100 meter AOE +5 Idunno Vorpal Light damage to all enemies and produces a miniature Feanor Hobbit pet that eats all enemy food supplies and declares "none shall pass" and "I'm invincible". (this tree is considered slightly OP in Bullroarer)

All Tree Trees are instant cast and have instant cooldown... cause.... well, duh, cause they are Trees dumbass.

Good stuff, but they said playable race, not playable class ;)

10/10 for effort tho!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordVorontur said:

Good stuff, but they said playable race, not playable class ;)

10/10 for effort tho!!

Oh yes I forgot to mention...

High Elf trait trees are now racial traits.

Now go away Swedish bedwetting types or I shall taunt you a second time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's really not lore appropriate no matter how they spin this new race, but then, so aren't Hobbits being fantastic fighters, roaming as heroes all over Middle-earth. The whole game wouldn't exist if they stuck to the lore 100%. But, yeah, to me this does seem to be pushing the boundaries of the lore a bit too far.

The race is sure to annoy many die-hard Tolkien fans that are still playing, so I am a bit surprised they are going to go there and upset a significant part of their player base.  

I do agree that they are probably adding this race to make the expansion pack look more like an expansion as opposed to a quest pack, but surely they could have been more original than this? I think the people still play would be more than happy with the new avatar update dropping the same time as the EP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

High Elves are those who specifically saw the light of the Two Trees of Valinor, specifically the Noldor, the Teleri and the Vanyar.  Of those three groups, only some of the Noldor remained in Middle-earth.

 

Yeah, but now there are so many of those who have been there.

Because of the eagle mounts (store only).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mallorn said:

I think the people still play would be more than happy with...

At this point, I think they'd be happy with anything thrown at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Yeah, but now there are so many of those who have been there.

Because of the eagle mounts (store only).

giphy.gif

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21.1.2017 at 9:18 PM, Mallorn said:

but surely they could have been more original than this

Well, no, they could not have been, obviously. It's the same team as before their departure into a new company, remember?

I said it before, and maintain it: "development and operations of DDO and LotRO will continue as usual" was/is a threat, and not a promise.

SNy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...