LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

New Producer's Letter

33 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

3 updates for the entire year

well, two "updates" and one "expansion"...although I'm curious how the expansion will compare...

2 hours ago, cossieuk said:

3 updates for the entire year

Yes, been that way for almost the entire run of the game, I think. (Maybe less over the past several years.)

They don't want to talk about update 22.

Why do I get the feeling that it's because what they have planned is a store-driven, lore-breaking, grindfest that they know will cause people to get upset?

Better to get that sweet, sweet "Destruction of the Ring" expansion money first, keep the loyal players in the dark about what's to come, and unleash the "We're just going to throw together whatever we want to now because we can" stuff on them afterward.

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

They don't want to talk about update 22.

Why do I get the feeling that it's because what they have planned is a store-driven, lore-breaking, grindfest that they know will cause people to get upset?

Better to get that sweet, sweet "Destruction of the Ring" expansion money first, keep the loyal players in the dark about what's to come, and unleash the "We're just going to throw together whatever we want to now because we can" stuff on them afterward.

Possibly, but I think Update 21 (the actual expansion, I'm assuming) is where the store-driven, lore-breaking, grind-fest will actually begin..."With Update 21, we shatter the Black Gates and march into Mordor for our first expansion in nearly four years! In it, we will cover the fate of the One Ring and then embark on new epic tales, foraying into multiple regions of Mordor after the fall. There, we will encounter strange new monsters, new mechanics, and new treasures to be won. We will begin whole new storylines that look deep into Mordor and hint at things yet to come. We are making plans to debut a new playable race, the High Elf, along with aesthetic improvements to all playable races across the board. We also plan to add large group challenge content in the ensuing update.

• Upvote 1

That "interview" doesn't even have a name of a person being interviewed.  

Apparently they just emailed a bunch of questions and got back a batch of individual press releases with no actual information in there. Probably written by somebody who never played the game.

Of course it is also possible that mmoprg.com now offers the service of writing such "answers" for you, since zero actual knowledge of either the game or of internal information is required for those.

8 hours ago, Papi said:

Possibly, but I think Update 21 (the actual expansion, I'm assuming) is where the store-driven, lore-breaking, grind-fest will actually begin..."With Update 21, we shatter the Black Gates and march into Mordor for our first expansion in nearly four years! In it, we will cover the fate of the One Ring and then embark on new epic tales, foraying into multiple regions of Mordor after the fall. There, we will encounter strange new monsters, new mechanics, and new treasures to be won. We will begin whole new storylines that look deep into Mordor and hint at things yet to come. We are making plans to debut a new playable race, the High Elf, along with aesthetic improvements to all playable races across the board. We also plan to add large group challenge content in the ensuing update.

Oh, you're right, Papi.  That doesn't sound very good, does it?  The ring and Sauron get destroyed and then we have to fuss around in Mordor? Bleah.

1 minute ago, warspeech said:

Oh, you're right, Papi.  That doesn't sound very good, does it?  The ring and Sauron get destroyed and then we have to fuss around in Mordor? Bleah.

To be fair we have been on clean up duty since day 1, so having to clean up Mordor not really a surprise

along with aesthetic improvements to all playable races across the board.

This is also an opportunity for a trainwreck.

Geez, you negative nellies, I thought the Producer Letter was quite good. It laid out post-Mordor stuff! We are going to clear out Eastern Morder it would seem, which is a great area for vast evil.

I'm fairly excited about the 3 big updates.

12 hours ago, TheStormKing said:

Geez, you negative nellies, I thought the Producer Letter was quite good. It laid out post-Mordor stuff! We are going to clear out Eastern Morder it would seem, which is a great area for vast evil.

I'm fairly excited about the 3 big updates.

I haven't purchased a thing since the Minas Tirith Update. I really do not know how, or why, I forced myself to complete that content. The poorly designed Minas Tirith, the fetch and talk to so and so quests along with the insultingly bad Forlong quest chain, has seriously put me off ever giving them any of my money. 

And now finding out that all of the poor decisions were actually by the developers and not WB, no, not excited to see what they do next.

Remember when folks used to joke about how the destruction of the ring will probably be a "session play"...well, take a gander at the first question posed to MoL here:  http://www.mmo-central.com/2017/01/31/going-mordor-standing-stone-games/

Well, this is a really easy one actually, so thank you very much for the softball to get started. The reason that we can enter Mordor and not interfere with Frodo and Sam’s mission is because the majority of the Mordor expansion is going to take place after they’ve already gotten to Mount Doom. It would not be appropriate, I don’t think, for adventurers to be gallivanting in Mordor concurrent with Frodo and Sam doing their thing. That’s against the very spirit of everything we’ve been building up to over the course of the game. So, this is one of those things where monitoring chatter on community sites and whatnot, people seem to be very concerned with ‘how are they… we’re going into Mordor in the Mordor expansion, isn’t this like going to be playing right into Sauron’s hands? I can’t believe they’d do this!’ And the answer is no, we’re not doing that. We’re trying to remain as faithful as we’ve always had. So, like fairly early on in the expansion, I think you’ll see that things get sorted out in a way, and then Mordor is our oyster.

The bit about "strange new monsters" looks interesting. Shame they scrapped their online bestiary, though.

I just paid for a 3 month sub, first time in nearly 2 years. I logged in just out of curiosity and actually found myself enjoying it, I think I will catch up with the new content I missed (everything from Gondor onwards) and then see how I feel, I doubt I will renew after I have caught up as I can't see myself getting involved in the end game stuff but right now I'm kind of enjoying it again.

If there is some new content coming along within those 3 months though then I may stick around to finish that off.

On 2/2/2017 at 4:47 AM, Laurinaohtar said:

I just paid for a 3 month sub, first time in nearly 2 years. I logged in just out of curiosity and actually found myself enjoying it, I think I will catch up with the new content I missed (everything from Gondor onwards) and then see how I feel, I doubt I will renew after I have caught up as I can't see myself getting involved in the end game stuff but right now I'm kind of enjoying it again.

If there is some new content coming along within those 3 months though then I may stick around to finish that off.

I actually liked the March of the King update quite a lot, flower picking and all.  I got all the herbalist gear and one of the gold rings for my main, and put her on hold again till something new comes out.  I think it helped that I ran it during that North Ithlien flower-picking event they had late last year.

I"ll see how the next update looks when it comes out and then decide whether I want to get it or not.  Have fun!