LOTROCommunity

Morder Pre-Purchase Packages Announced

I'm not surprised they have some mega expensive bundles. I kind of expected it, as they will need to rake in as much money as they can from the expansion pack. I don't really see it as shady business - a desperate cash grab, arrogance etc. - because a game with a small playerbase is going to have to charge a lot of money to stay afloat. Most things in life if they are not very mainstream and popular are priced at premium  - they wouldn't be available otherwise.

The people still playing obviously enjoy the game and if they want it to continue have to face reality that they are going to be paying over the odds for new content. It's a ten year old game that is no longer popular, which has, one assumes, to pay for its licensed I.P., not to mention SSG staff wages, server rental etc. as well as funding new content and the publishing costs with Daybreak.

I'm not sure if I will purchase this EP. I haven't purchased anything since the Minas Tirith Update. I can't say seeing Mordor interests me and I don't think whatever story they have conjured up will be remotely interesting.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Edit: on that note, I don't want to go and put on my big boy pants, but if everyone could simmer down and stop bringing up Amorey, we can all go back to the peace and quiet we had before. Normally I'm

Modbreak: Right, mod powers activated, tidied an already spiraling derail.

Well aren't you the Square Enix shill?

Posted Images

That part about the new story is one of the reasons I'm not all that keen on getting the expansion immediately either.  I don't care about the remaining Mordor factions, it'll probably be the Rohan Thanes all over again just on the losing side.  Hard to tell one from the other and who cares anyways.

A lot of people on the OF seem to forget that HD wasn't available in the store for a month or so after launch.  It also cost over 4000tp.  This Mordor expac is only slightly more than Far Anorien was.  They clearly believe that the expac is only worth about 25 bucks and are charging for the AoV insta level item.  It's kind of stupid to think that a 25 dollar expansion they want  a minimum of 40 dollars for would be available for currency you can get from playing the game.  Grinding out 2500 LP isn't that difficult and people love putting in more time and effort into getting something for nothing than it would ever take to outright buy.  I have kinmates that are staunchly F2P and have spent a total of 15 bucks on the game in the many years they've been playing.

49 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

A lot of people on the OF seem to forget that HD wasn't available in the store for a month or so after launch.

Are you sure? I don't remember having to wait to play that abomination, and I definitely didn't pay any money for it.

32 minutes ago, Doro said:

Are you sure? I don't remember having to wait to play that abomination, and I definitely didn't pay any money for it.

I'm pretty sure it was delayed.  I remember the same shit storm when HD wasn't available right away for TP.  The whole HD launch was a shit storm.  

59 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

I'm pretty sure it was delayed.  I remember the same shit storm when HD wasn't available right away for TP.  The whole HD launch was a shit storm.  

All I can remember is that there wasn't any way to pre-purchase the previous expansions with TP, and a bit of confusion with RoR as to whether the TP purchase included the instance cluster or not. Anyone got any old threads about HD's disaster? I played so briefly after that I barely remember.

This was just released, and it's a joke:

https://lotro.com/en/u21-Crafting

It confirms that I saw recipes with the Westemnet guild tier (which were later removed) as requirement.

I expect that those are the recipes which are gated behind the Allegiance System. Those will be the 'best in game'.

The rest of the recipes seems to be barterable from the QM, The grind to obtain the barter items and the grind to complete the Allegiance System is the new grind for crafters... The only good thing is that the rest of the recipes is 'freely' available to the respective professions. I don't think I have seen new crafting tools though.

10 hours ago, Tarantula said:

It confirms that I saw recipes with the Westemnet guild tier (which were later removed) as requirement.

I expect that those are the recipes which are gated behind the Allegiance System. Those will be the 'best in game'.

The rest of the recipes seems to be barterable from the QM, The grind to obtain the barter items and the grind to complete the Allegiance System is the new grind for crafters... The only good thing is that the rest of the recipes is 'freely' available to the respective professions. I don't think I have seen new crafting tools though.

I saw that too, and couldn't believe how sparse it was.  This "meh" approach to giving details and answers to specific questions is not a good sign.

4 hours ago, warspeech said:

I saw that too, and couldn't believe how sparse it was.  This "meh" approach to giving details and answers to specific questions is not a good sign.

I wonder whether 'no one left' cares about crafting anymore. Well done Turbi..SSG, well done.

There is almost no response about this on the OF.

Just a thought: update to the game in prep for Mordor takes 12 hours today.

Conveniently enough the forums are offline all day as well. Could this be to 'lower the forum temperature', in the hope that those who continue to express their negative opinion will 'shut up'?! 

I have to give Cordovan some credit.  The OF is full of negative threads about the Mordor pricing and launch.  He could very easily shut them all down and claim it's due to fighting or insults or whatever.  He hasn't done that save for a couple of them.  Allowing people to vent their frustrations is a lot different than how another CM handled things during the last expac roll out.

18 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Seriously is that it? Why bother doing an interview?

42 minutes ago, SNy said:

"Admittedly it's understandable you would forget about Beornings, SSG forgot about them immediately after releasing them." [source]

This made my evening.

SNy

That thread you've sourced has more cancer in it than a Fukushima fisherman. So many blind fanboys getting all ruffled over what is effectively just a pretentious blog post, one that's much less harsh than LotRO deserves.

They still haven't said anything about what is in Aria of the Valar, did they?

I'm in doubt if I'm going to buy it, at least it will be the $40,- version. Which, if they included the High Elf, would be a reasonable price for an expansion. You get 10 extra lvl's (okay, you get access to them if you buy it or not, but that's not very usefull without the expansion), an instance cluster, a new race and a sort of new system/ reputation grind.

5 hours ago, Thrabath said:

They still haven't said anything about what is in Aria of the Valar, did they?

They have somewhere I think. The only difference is the level (95 > 105) and "level appropriate gear". No class trait, virtues or ILI catchup = trash.

The only thing that GoV/BoV thing has done is create trade and world chat spam with people trying to buy and flip them.  Everyone I know that's used one has used them for classes they already know, or they're the type of player that is pretty good with most classes.  Then they complain about having to go back and grind trait points and virtues.  I'm sure when mordor rolls out we'll see a ton of lvl 105 High Elf capts running around complaining that people are racist because they wont invite them to their raids.

3 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Everyone I know that's used one has used them for classes they already know, or they're the type of player that is pretty good with most classes.  Then they complain about having to go back and grind trait points and virtues.

Like me. Used one for my copycat main after the server merges split us into two. Took me ages to go back farm all the shit.

Oh, btw they reportedly confirmed that this new Valar flick wll be non-tradeable. Makes trash trasher I guess.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Talisman said:

New Dev Interview about the allegiance system: https://www.lotro.com/en/u21-Allegiances

Quartermaster U clarified on the official stream today that these are not Dev Diaries, but preliminary to the Dev Diary. I suspect the are preliminary to nothing.

I get the feeling that someone stands behind the dev diary writer with a stopwatch, tells them they have ten minutes to produce a diary, and then says "Go!" 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Urwendil said:

Like me. Used one for my copycat main after the server merges split us into two. Took me ages to go back farm all the shit.

Oh, btw they reportedly confirmed that this new Valar flick wll be non-tradeable. Makes trash trasher I guess.

I used one for my warden on my 2nd lifetime account that I hadn't login into for 3 years, thinking I'd be ready to join endgame with an alt quickly. That was wrong ;)

• Upvote 1
On 7/20/2017 at 4:52 PM, Urwendil said:

13 hours ago, Thrabath said:

I used one for my warden on my 2nd lifetime account that I hadn't login into for 3 years, thinking I'd be ready to join endgame with an alt quickly. That was wrong ;)

I used a Blessing to catch up with some friends that were leveling in Moria. It was a mistake for 2 reason. First, the friends stopped playing soon after. Second, even with the virtues & the gear in the package, I had to complete the Moria intro & unlock the LI system, and Moria itself was not really a pleasant experience. The guys I was running with intended to do the instances on-level, but the toon was completely not ready, and it took a lot of work to get him even remotely ready.

• Upvote 1