LOTROCommunity
Spheric

What Can't Be Said At Turbine.

The LOTRO forums over at Turbine are first and foremost an outlet for PR propaganda. Information gathering, feedback, and community building are all secondary to that main objective. I think this becomes obvious when you look at the current Anniversary debacle.

Turbine has determined that enough has been said on the subject and has locked or deleted every thread on the subject with one notable exception - What I like about the anniversary event.... This thread is allowed to stay open and only negative comments are removed (they would, of course, be off topic and probably considered trolling).

I think that basically sums up the "fairness" of Turbine's forum moderation tactics and clearly flies in the face of Sapience's self-serving assertion on the CM forums. In case you didn't catch it:

Oddly enough we allow a lot of that on the US forums as it is. I know there is a perception of the Turbine forums being very tightly controlled and negative comments being removed, but it's very far from the truth. Yes we do remove inappropriate comments because honestly, I don't think anyone likes having profanity and inappropriate things said to them or about them. That applies to comments directed at players and employees alike. We have a saying, "It's not what you say, it's how you choose to say it".

Link to forum page

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more, it appears that as soon as something becomes overly critical over at Turbine its "Working as intended, thread closed" and any other threads about the topic are closed and infraction handed out.

For all that Codemaster may have done wrong there moderation of the forums was always something they more or less got right.

• Upvote 1

I did catch those words of Sapience posted on CM's forums. I posted there what i think about it, there is no need to bring it up again. By that one post he made me never ever wan't to join their boards as it is simply a lie for me.

Anyway, we are not lost anymore. We now have "European" boards and let us hope they will grow nicely. We should not make Turbine our main topic but rather have LOTRO as a main focus point.

Turbine's actions be it good or bad will come up here during the existance of the game but at least here we will be able to voice our dissapointments about some changes.

I also hope Sapience and his moderator padawns will be aware of existance of these boards.

Was wondering if there is any (legal) way in which Turbine could force closing of boards like this one? They did not do it with CM because they were partners but is it in any way possible that turbine will cause shut down of such boards as these because of "bad things" beeing said about them? was just curious.

I had years of experience with US Game Company Forums.

Its quite normal for them to deleted or lock threads that contain any form of criticism, even constructive criticism.

My main concern is the possibility of Game Accounts getting banned for something said on a Forum Account; I've seen it happen.

All The Best

I had years of experience with US Game Company Forums.

Its quite normal for them to deleted or lock threads that contain any form of criticism, even constructive criticism.

My main concern is the possibility of Game Accounts getting banned for something said on a Forum Account; I've seen it happen.

All The Best

This is a legitimate concern considering that the forum account is so tightly bound to the game account and Sapience has consistently ignored the question (among others).

This is a legitimate concern considering that the forum account is so tightly bound to the game account and Sapience has consistently ignored the question (among others).

Sapience has answered my question >>>here<<<. It is possible for a Game Account to be banned from infractions on the Forum Account linked to it; but you'd have to apparently work hard at it. As I said, I've seen it happen, more than once.

All The Best

Sapience has answered my question >>>here<<<. It is possible for a Game Account to be banned from infractions on the Forum Account linked to it; but you'd have to apparently work hard at it. As I said, I've seen it happen, more than once.

All The Best

Thanks for that. It appears I'm a bit slow about keeping up with things. Seems he posted that over there before I posted over here.

Was wondering if there is any (legal) way in which Turbine could force closing of boards like this one? They did not do it with CM because they were partners but is it in any way possible that turbine will cause shut down of such boards as these because of "bad things" beeing said about them? was just curious.

No. I think US law has some loopholes which would allow it but since this forum and its associated domain are operated, registered and hosted in the Netherlands all that is said here is effectively only subject to Dutch law. Which in short means complete freedom of speech as long as there's no direct slander, copyright infringements or related stuff, and even for slander they'd have to get a Dutch judge to agree that the moderators are not responding appropriately and there is indeed a legal violation going on. So in practice the answer to the question is a rather explicit 'no'.

Additionally the same goes for IP logs and such - without a Dutch court order they're not getting them, so even if you use the same name here as in game you can always do a 'wasn't me' if they ban you for actions or posts here. The true question in that case is whether you have the legal power to fight the ban ;)

board looks great, love the speed d;)b

thx for doing this!

If you love the speed now, just wait until it's gets moved. The new server waiting for us is even bigger and better ;)

Anyway, we are not lost anymore. We now have "European" boards and let us hope they will grow nicely. We should not make Turbine our main topic but rather have LOTRO as a main focus point.

Turbine's actions be it good or bad will come up here during the existance of the game but at least here we will be able to voice our dissapointments about some changes.

As long as it's not downright abusive, it should be fine. Heck, I've never been the nicest person on the CM boards either. I got slapped by Satine at some point. Constructive criticism is fine, Turbine should be able to take it, just as Codemasters does/did.

I also hope Sapience and his moderator padawns will be aware of existance of these boards.

If they are, they're welcome to sign up. If I can verify it's actually them, they'll even get a fancy blue name like Satine has.

If they are, they're welcome to sign up. If I can verify it's actually them, they'll even get a fancy blue name like Satine has.

I already disagree :P

Satine diserves a proper place in here while Sapience and his team can have special titles but on their forums. Unless the title for them would be "The tyrant and censor of US LOTRO forums" :P

In here they should be equal to us.

• Upvote 1

A blue name here does not mean moderator powers ;) Just a simple visual identifier that they actually are Turbine staff.

Yay for not being warned about infraction points for disagreeing that it would be unfair for the americans if we EU users got points for our troubles, and basically telling him if the shoe was on the other foot, he'd be whinging worse than we are doing atm.

big-brother-is-watching-you_thumbna.png

Turbine (not only them) will not let you criticize them and their product on their forums.

Forget about that. No matter how much you are right, even more, bigger reason for you to be silenced.

If they wrong you only way to go is to be silent about it and accept it or face forum ban.

We are used to criticize them on CM forums, lets see how many ppl will get banned when they try that on Turbine forums, and I say again, no matter if you're absolutely right.

This was c/p of my post on CM forums about Turbine forum.

• Upvote 1

Don't see me posting on the US boards - not happy about forum action possibly meaning game ban.

Maybe somebody should start a poll (Can we do polls on these boards?) as to who will bw the 1st 'name' from the EU side to be banned - by 'name' I mean frequent/regular poster - say 1000 posts or more. Beleg? Futsie? Radhruin? Korrigan? Oh wait - he's already banned from the EU forums. Perhaps we need some nominations before making a poll!

Korrigan? Oh wait - he's already banned from the EU forums. Perhaps we need some nominations before making a poll!

Hmm, have not seen him in a while. IS he really banned from Codies forums? I dont think i can see why he would be banned...

Hmm, have not seen him in a while. IS he really banned from Codies forums? I dont think i can see why he would be banned...

Aye don't know why he was banned but if you click his name on the forums it says banned.

Can't say i always agreed with what he posted but i never personally saw anything that would warrant a ban.

He is banned. I remember him having a couple of temp bans but this one seems to be permanent. Hopefully his game accout is not banned, he always wanted to be on Turbines servers and now he will get his wish.

Can't say i always agreed with what he posted but i never personally saw anything that would warrant a ban.

I actually agreed with him in many aspects, but i never saw anything that would lead to a ban, even to a temp ban.

I have never gotten a single infraction so thats why it makes me even more curious, why he was banned.

If something someone said lead to an infraction, it was probably removed from the forums and maybe that's why you've never seen it ;)

• Upvote 1

I just joined these forums and the reason being that I wan't to be able to voice my concerns if they crop up. I have been pretty open minded so far regarding the move, but if the strict line that has been brought up so many times here and on the CM forums really is true I won't be posting at all on the US forums. Rather stay here then and communicate in an open way.

Can I start a petition about something!!! *O*

Loving the smilies :) Anyway the US forums are very much about censorship and I dont see me spending much time there, I will probably put up a recruiting post and thats about it.

Great site here well done all involved!

I personally will be staying clear of the US forums aside from checking for announcements and Bullroarer feedback.

On Codies forums I was/am pretty vocal, and it has lead to a couple of temp bans, if Turbine are as bad as they appear, regardless of what Sapience says I won't be posting there as I don't want to go through the hassle of having deleted posts and bans for disagreeing.

• Upvote 1