LOTROCommunity
Spheric

What Can't Be Said At Turbine.

Heck, I've never been the nicest person on the CM boards either.

Oh, Rhy. Oh, Rhy... I had to sign up just to be able to reply to this one comment. You have never been the nicest person *anywhere*. And I'm *still* better than you! :P

I mean frequent/regular poster - say 1000 posts or more. Beleg? Futsie? Radhruin? Korrigan? Oh wait - he's already banned from the EU forums. Perhaps we need some nominations before making a poll!

First, quantity doesn't equal quality. Second, you've picked some pretty poor examples. I don't wish to start my posting history here with a load of ad hominem, but... I've had one contact on the CM forums with Korrigan. It didn't leave a good impression. I stopped engaging in anything that Beleg took part in, because of the sheer waste of effort. Third, Radhruin knows his lore, I'll grant you, but otherwise I've always found him to be another Beleg. So, I'm sorry, but all three, in my experience, subtract more than they add.

In short, post count is meaningless. I've been a member of the CM forums for 4+ years. My post count there is still only 432, a fraction of others. But (I hope) I post longer & more considered posts, because I wish to get a point across. Not to boost my post count as a matter of e-peen. Or because I can't recognise when I'm belabouring a point beyond people's interest. And then there are those who just put you off regularaly engaging on a forum... ;)

I have always found it to be funny the US forums of any game is more strict then the European once it seems that the land of the Free isn't that free after all but it would also be good if Sapience and other Turbine moderators join this forum so they know that is going on in the community and take notice of it without them having the power to ban anyone.

• Upvote 1

Agreed

That forum has become worthless. Anything of any interest, no matter how well-written, is removed if it is in the least bit critical.

I advise the use of outside forums such as this and MMORPG.com until they notice that quite a few have left.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, but all three, in my experience, subtract more than they add.

Actually, that's exactly the reason I picked them - I wonder what Turbine will think of their style and sometimes abrasive and dismissive attitudes

Agreed

That forum has become worthless. Anything of any interest, no matter how well-written, is removed if it is in the least bit critical.

I advise the use of outside forums such as this and MMORPG.com until they notice that quite a few have left.

First post and I agree fully.

I received an infraction for just calling a player out who claimed he was sure it took a lot of resources and time to implement a toggle so players who are annoyed by the numerous store buttons on the UI panels could make then invisible.

I replied to that dude that my feeling was that programming such a toggle would not be THAT much work and told him also that his remark to me to "Just ignore them" is not a solution and I getting a little bit tired of hearing that BS over and over again from the Turbine fanclub.

My post was deleted and got an infraction with the remark that that other player as closer in his estimate then I was and I should not berating another player by guessing. Duh?

I replied to Sapience that the other player did not estimate but acted like he knew it all and that is why I replied with "I take it you have the code in front of you".

Never received an answer from him and the infraction is still there. So that was for me the sign to look for other forums.

Glad I found these forums.

Thanks and greetings from a native Dutch living in the USA.

Here is an interesting set of impressions, and some not-widely-known information about Sapience that may be an interesting read, especially concerning his days as a Hellgate: London forum mod.

(Link)

• Upvote 2

Here is an interesting set of impressions, and some not-widely-known information about Sapience that may be an interesting read, especially concerning his days as a Hellgate: London forum mod.

(Link)

thanks for the link.

oh how i remember this:

This upcoming patch, which could be better known as the WoW patch, intends to dumb the game down. Self-rez, quest directional arrows, nerfing all enemies, and reducing the XP level up tables were those first steps into the wrong direction.

because of this very reason I stopped playing for 3 months and the kin I was with fell apart.

(Link)

Interesting read thanks for the link d;)b

Even more reason not to post on Turbine's Forums :*)

Interesting read thanks for the link d;)b

Even more reason not to post on Turbine's Forums :*)

absolutely, I think I'll keep quiet over there. After all, after the server move we can finally use the lotteries.... :x>:)

(Link)

That's hardly surprising. It seems there are no Turbine or Codemasters forum moderators who don't have some personal vendetta against some posters.

Broadly speaking, in Europe the concepts of freedom of speech and privacy filter down from those enshrined in law to the private sector. They have legal obligations.

In the US, it seems to be the opposite of that. The lawyers set the agenda then create the rules to protect the status quo.

This is one of the reasons I think the US forums are of less relevance.

I also dislike their physical layout and design. I find the posts often to be very hard to read due to the overwhelming size of the user signatures and sundry embellishments.

I find the same problem with many blogs and websites. To get close and chummy with the developers, they have to make concessions regarding matters like criticism and complaint.

Sure they are "free to do so" if they want to, but pretty soon find themselves out of the loop.

That's why I favour the independent option, every time.

Well done for making us a place to speak freely :)

this is why i came over. the censorship is so bad it was making me sick. i got infracted upon for saying crappy

I also dislike their physical layout and design. I find the posts often to be very hard to read due to the overwhelming size of the user signatures and sundry embellishments.

That's why I've turned off signatures. EVERY forum that allows pictures in their signatures I just turn them off. It's ridiculous. I love the calmness of the forum of gathering.tweakers.net (Dutch tech forum) for example, no pictures, max amount of lines, small and not intrusive. (I've still turned them off there regardless! :+ )

Just a FYI that you can turn them off. ;)

What I do dislike about their site is the SPEED. I can make coffee (I don't even like coffee!) while I'm trying to load their site. :P

I agree, the US forums aren't very user-friendly. I hate having to load every page twice so that it keeps me logged in! Also the long lines in posts (since the avatar/user info isn't in a separate column to the left like here) make them harder to read - I think optimal post width should be between 500 and 750 pixels (US forums are about 900px wide). I've also blocked all the signatures and banner graphics with adblock :).

I like these boards, they're simple and they load faster :).

Yes their forum is not very user friendly or browser friendly for me either.

I use konqueror because I find it lightweight and it is integrated into my O/S of choice but their forum makes it a bit unresponsive though I have no problems at all with CM forums.

I hate having to load every page twice so that it keeps me logged in!

So true and even more true and scary when you log on and suddenly you are logged in as a different user. Happened to me in february and I read in April it happened to some a few users as well. The topic was moved, of course, and noone answered. I wonder how this can happen actually. How can the board mix me up with another user who has a totally different username and password..? }:|:?

I've had that happen before on other poorly designed systems but not recently I hasten to add. Someone logs out but their connection doesn't get closed at the forum end for some reason. You come along and quite innocently latch onto it. This is more likely to happen when people don't specifically log out before shutting the browser window. A chance you take I guess...

Yes, their forums are a technical disaster and a huge security risk. Being able to accidentally log into someone else's account when that account is so heavily tied to the actual in-game account is a disaster waiting to happen. If it can happen accidentally, it can happen intentionally and hackers know this. It may take a while for them to figure it out, but they are a persistent lot if nothing else.

I'm not quite sure of the "legality" of it, but I would like to point out that with F2P there's really no limit on how many Turbine accounts you can make and use the forum with... or? That's to say, (if it works like it works here in the EU) it doesn't have to be your main account with your billing information and characters on it.

Actually, that's exactly the reason I picked them - I wonder what Turbine will think of their style and sometimes abrasive and dismissive attitudes

From what little I remember, I suspect K. will end up in trouble first, R. second. B. will probably get away with it for a while. I always found him oily, smarmy & sneering, rather than outright abrasive.

From what little I remember, I suspect K. will end up in trouble first, R. second. B. will probably get away with it for a while. I always found him oily, smarmy & sneering, rather than outright abrasive.

Unless I manage to do it on my US account ;)

I'm not quite sure of the "legality" of it, but I would like to point out that with F2P there's really no limit on how many Turbine accounts you can make and use the forum with... or? That's to say, (if it works like it works here in the EU) it doesn't have to be your main account with your billing information and characters on it.

that would be a thought and an idea, but in order to be able to post across the forum you need to be at least premium, means you need to have bought some TP. Otherwise you can only post in their f2p forum. Granted, if only for reading this would work, yet it wouldn't need an account at all, cause you can read while not being logged in.

But as far as I am aware, you are only allowed one active forum account per person. The other accounts have to be gagged so that you can't post.

that would be a thought and an idea, but in order to be able to post across the forum you need to be at least premium, means you need to have bought some TP. Otherwise you can only post in their f2p forum.

I think I heard something like 'x weeks after registering you can post anywhere', at least I can post anywhere I like on my US account and I've never spent a penny on it.

I think I heard something like 'x weeks after registering you can post anywhere', at least I can post anywhere I like on my US account and I've never spent a penny on it.

Yeah thats right, I think its two weeks then you can post anywhere.