LOTROCommunity
Spheric

What Can't Be Said At Turbine.

I eagerly await bad people to arrive to smack them with my Ban Runestone!

You already smacked a few Russian spammers. Calm down, young padawan.

One of my Turbine infractions, earned while discussing the anniversary mounts was for saying:

[...]

you got infractions for that? (8> Can only shake my head about this.

Btw, the topic still exists, I saved the link B-)

I'll probably log to Turbine forums on my F2P account, but not on my Lifetime account, just to keep it safe. Still, I intend to mostly read about what's what and keep the venting, what-if-fing and lol-ling to other, more considerate forums.

I don't think this forum will be just for raging at the big T. We already got a very decent forum covering many angles of the game. Good people too.

Exactly my plan too. Read and maybe give some feedback when asked on my f2p account, but not doing more.

As for this forum, I honestly love this place and will stay here. Also I hope it won't focus too much on raging about Turbine

Thanks for the information Vix, that is quite helpful while pondering what is possibly considered as infracting!

Btw, the topic still exists, I saved the link B-)

Wow... there were two persons breaking the CoC, other persons immediately said this was not okay, and this is the reason Sapience closed the thread? Wow.

You've got to love a company that advertises their anniversary celebration, then prohibits all discussion of it in their forums during said "celebration," and then slaps down and infracts anyone who isn't having a good time.

Yeh, I got infracted for that thread, too. It seems I'm a troll.

I was watching that thread just before the lock and saw many, many posts get removed (including yours, I believe) for no legitimate reason whatsoever (I wasn't even close to trolling with my post).

I personally believe it is incredibly stupid in a business sense for Turbine to behave this way or allow Sapience to do so. I can tell you that it has personally left a bad taste in my mouth and greatly diminished the image I have of Turbine.

Either Sapience has gone rogue and the company can't control him, or they as a company have a very low and disgusting view of their customers. Perhaps F2P has changed Turbine's image of their customer base, but the interesting thing is that most players targeted by Sapience appear to be long-term paying customers (they do tend to bitch more, since they are more heavily invested in the game).

I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels this way now - that Turbine has a very low regard for its customers. Allowing (and actually encouraging) that negative feeling to spread is so incredibly short-sighted and will not end well for Turbine if allowed to continue. If I were an investor, it would be a determining factor in whether I wished to open my wallet up to them.

And as a paying customer, the same applies. Not one penny more until they begin to address their customers and their customers concerns with the respect we deserve. They want the game to be F2P? Well, I am currently more than willing to oblige.

</rant off>

• Upvote 1

You already smacked a few Russian spammers. Calm down, young padawan.

Ah, the Russian spammers. I ".ru.member" them well. Smack one for me, please. :w

I eagerly await bad people to arrive to smack them with my Ban Runestone!

I eagerly await bad people, so I can be sarcastic at them. >:) I don't have to play *quite* as nice round here as I do elsewhere... Not so far, anyway (yes, you two, I know there are still limits! ;)).

Either Sapience has gone rogue and the company can't control him...

Surely the answer here is that someone needs to do a bit of investigation into Turbine's chain of command. Find the names & emails of people above him with clout, or with an interest in the negative publicity he's generating. If they get enough calm & reasonable communication from enough people about the damage Sap is doing to the company image, they might take some action to rein him in & change the board policy.

In short, complaining on Turbine's forum is pointless. You get deletions, infractions, and bans, because Sap has The Power.

Complaining here is going to achieve nothing (except for possibly lowering your blood pressure! ;)).

Find out who is in charge of the Community Manager, of the Forums, of the LOTRO game, find out who the company executives are, the CEO. Complaining anywhere else to anyone else is wasted effort.

Muahaha ;) Guess what. There's another "Forums here, forums there"-Thread,...

and there must have been some pointless deletions there:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?392985-Why-a-forum-is-not-a-forum-About-the-German-CM-forum/page4

hilarious :)

@ #74 ... extremely ridiculous infractions there...

the Sap.ience link speaks for itself... this is not how a "professional" (payed) mod acts...

Indeed it is rather disappointing a company to have such behaviour.

I always thought that constructive criticism does miracles.

But it seems they are more eager to keep everything under the carpet than fix any potential problems and make customers happy. :(

Complaining here is going to achieve nothing (except for possibly lowering your blood pressure! ;)).

Which at my age is not an insignificant achievement. Oooooommmmmm... :*)

As to your actual point, you are probably one hundred percent correct. I wonder how many in upper management are even aware of Turbine's current public image across much of the social interwebs. That kind of stuff is frequently left for techies and underlings to deal with. I doubt many of them surf the internet forums looking for comments. Sure, they read the internet press releases and "media" coverage and interviews, but if that is all they are exposed to, they might have a very different view than most of their customers and potential customers. And be very surprised when things don't turn out the way they were projected.

• Upvote 1

As to your actual point, you are probably one hundred percent correct. I wonder how many in upper management are even aware of Turbine's current public image across much of the social interwebs. That kind of stuff is frequently left for techies and underlings to deal with. I doubt many of them surf the internet forums looking for comments. Sure, they read the internet press releases and "media" coverage and interviews, but if that is all they are exposed to, they might have a very different view than most of their customers and potential customers. And be very surprised when things don't turn out the way they were projected.

Undoubtably. It's unfortunate that the larger gaming sites that feature LOTRO news and interviews (A Casual Stroll to Mordor, TenTonHammer, etc.) have to denounce much of the criticism out there to get interview opportunities (and contest prize supplies). An independent gaming review site should be able to cite the criticism, get the "official" word from Turbine, weigh the two together, and see which one has the greater ring of truth. As a result, Warner Brothers would get a better picture of where their development and customer-facing efforts are bearing fruit...and where they are causing problems.

I think I heard something like 'x weeks after registering you can post anywhere', at least I can post anywhere I like on my US account and I've never spent a penny on it.

This would be correct. I have an account on the Turbine forums I use only for posting in the forums which I can do across the whole forum. It's strictly a "Free Player" account/no characters, no purchases, no personal info other than trash email account just for the purpose of the game account.

I daresay that the majority of discussions that used to erupt on Laurelin's forum will now result in a lot of bans, if said on Turbine's forums.

We did have a lot of freedom there, and it will be something I shall miss. Currently, I'm actually pondering if I should post there or not?

I won't. I refuse to fear or favour anyone. And I do have a habit of, errr, waxing eloquent! A forum that dishes out infractions to people expressing honest opinions holds no attraction.

I won't. I refuse to fear or favour anyone. And I do have a habit of, errr, waxing eloquent! A forum that dishes out infractions to people expressing honest opinions holds no attraction.

Indeed.

It's the whole..."You do NOT have the freedom of speech here" thing. Yet they all go on about it...rather peculiar, if I do say so myself.

Ah, well, a dictatorship always starts off eager to reassure people how inclusive they are, how they are doing what the people want, how they are there for you (secret police at the door...). And sycophants flourish under all regimes, so there will always be plenty to tell how it really is free. Provided you are willing to pay the price...

Ah, well, a dictatorship always starts off eager to reassure people how inclusive they are, how they are doing what the people want, how they are there for you (secret police at the door...). And sycophants flourish under all regimes, so there will always be plenty to tell how it really is free. Provided you are willing to pay the price...

Ah, yes - the whole..."Jump! We'll follow after we see it's safe!" thing?

On the whole, I daresay most of this topic would've resulted in a few bans already.

If there's a need for bans I can randomly suspend some accounts in this thread for a day or two? ;)

And sycophants flourish under all regimes, so there will always be plenty to tell how it really is free. Provided you are willing to pay the price...

I'm currently reading Freedom by Daniel Suarez (the sequel to Daemon). Including MMO bits within real life. :D

Anyways, in some parts he's arguing how democracies aren't very different from dictatorships. Only that people in dictatorships don't lie to themselves about it. ;)

Quite an interesting thought and he brings up scary examples (corn subsidies, food patents, global production chains, ...).

"These people aren’t citizens of anything, Sergeant. America is just another brand purchased for its goodwill value. For that excellent *** logo. ... No conspiracy necessary. It’s a process that’s been happening for thousands of years. Wealth aggregates and becomes political power. Simple as that.

‘Corporation’ is just the most recent name for it. In the Middle Ages it was the Catholic Church. They had a great logo, too. You might have seen it, and they had more branches than Starbucks. Go back before that, and it was Imperial Rome. It’s a natural process as old as humanity."

• Upvote 1

I'm currently reading Freedom by Daniel Suarez (the sequel to Daemon). Including MMO bits within real life. :D

Definitely one of the must-reads of the past few years. Comes with a nice Utopia I can relate to. :)

If there's a need for bans I can randomly suspend some accounts in this thread for a day or two? ;)

Provided you start with your own... :P

Oh dear, this sounds far too much like another company that hosted the MMO I played for a few years previously =/ They would warn/ban anyone for criticising the company, giving negative feedback, and call it 'flaming'. No-one could express an opinion about them without a risk of ban...

Oh great, reading this I might concider using my account created just for posting when I want to use the TBforum. I might get a ban if I can't speak my mind there...

Lucky we have this forum. Don't mistake that with the 'we can do all we want here' thinkin. But when you can't always agree with everyone, not even with a company that creates games...

As I said in that other thread "when god wishes to punish us, he answers our prayers"

People have been wishing Turbine to take over the EU services for a long time(not naming names).