Jump to content
LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Minolas

Mordor Rant

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, my first post here, I've been lurking these forumes since early 2012 but never decided to make an account, untill now.

The title is pretty much self explanatory, I'm sick and tired of how stupid people can be, it just never ceases to amaze me.

The reason I'm writting this post is because I'm angry as fuck and I don't want to get banned on the OF. I've been playing LOTRO since late 2007, I was only 11 years old back then. I love the game. It's one of the very few games I play on my computer. No matter how shit it has become, no matter how many better games there are out there, I only play this MMO. It has a special place in my heart.

It's been difficult watching it being dumbed down and dragged through all of the shit over the years and now when we finally get a let's say 5% increase of difficulty of landscape with mordor, a number of stupid cunts are complaining that it is too hard and that SSG should dumb it down to what it was before.

I kindly say a big FUCK YOU! to those who think that way and have the audacity to post that shit on the OF. And I'm not defending SSG, it's actually still the same shit it was before with the diffrence of raised mit caps and finesse. It just shows that there is a stinking loser mentality in the game and some people think that if I can't kill a mob without pressing on more than 2 skills, it's already too hard and that now I need to go on OF and yell about how the game is too hard.

FFS, I mean how stupid can you get? If posting that shit on OF does anything, it just shows what a brainless twat you are.

And I think you guys should have a look at this one.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?657419-Mordor-too-hard-to-solo-quest-content/page5 

The first reply on the 5th page. This is the most stupid person I've ever seen. If anyone is interested they can have a look on what kind of bullshit she talks.

I'm saying it here and now, Wispsong is even worse than Amorey.

EDIT: I realised that the title was abit wrong and misleading, so I've changed it

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Wispsong. Read a few of their posts, wondering. This post you quoted above? Extra malus points for using a fucked-up unreadable font for the inline reply.

That alone should be enough to know everything one needs to know.

SNy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering about the comments (in another thread?) about the iLI losing its use because people have to trait differently in Mordor. Some say that SSG/Turbine has forgotten that because of iLI (which is a costly affair, mithril coins, legacy replacement scrolls etc.), the trait set up a player uses has more or less become fixed and that, because of the $investment of said player, it's not ok for the producers to make the drastic changes we see atm. Oversight or WAI?

Although I would have liked to see iLI output for myself, I am glad that I've never gone the imbue route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SNy said:

Yeah, Wispsong. Read a few of their posts, wondering. This post you quoted above? Extra malus points for using a fucked-up unreadable font for the inline reply.

That alone should be enough to know everything one needs to know.

SNy

That's the one yeah, one bullshit post after another, and it's a never ending story. Yes, that post with the fucked up text you can't even read properly. If you click on the show forum posts for that person, you'll see nothing but a sea of complaints and crying. particularly the post abit later in that thread which I linked fucked me off so much that I decided to write this.

I'm not defending SSG by any means, I hate them and Turdbine for what they've done to this game over the years.

But I love the game and I still play it as much as I can.

50 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

I am wondering about the comments (in another thread?) about the iLI losing its use because people have to trait differently in Mordor. Some say that SSG/Turbine has forgotten that because of iLI (which is a costly affair, mithril coins, legacy replacement scrolls etc.), the trait set up a player uses has more or less become fixed and that, because of the $investment of said player, it's not ok for the producers to make the drastic changes we see atm. Oversight or WAI?

Although I would have liked to see iLI output for myself, I am glad that I've never gone the imbue route.

I know that I'm probably one of the few who've done this, I have 4 chairs that I play and I made 2 LI's for each trait tree on almost every chair. I did my fair share of raiding and I like to have things sorted. 

But it's one hell of a grind, it takes time.

But all in all it isn't as bad as people post on the OF. LI's are still better than quest gear and landscape drops. And if you slot in the right type of essences you should be fine. It's all about finesse and mits now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havn't played mordor yet, but the idea of hard fighting mobs in LOTRO kinda annoying me.

The landscape fights are pretty much all the same no special abilities to the mobs just taking longer to kill mobs, and we did that so many times over and over again, Mordor is nothing new Angmar/Moria I believe were just hard as mordor, and many quests (mostly at Angmar) meant for fellowship. I guess my point is that I'm tired of doing this old shit again.

I would prefer to have series of quests with boss fighting mechanisms and a good story, than simply the same mindless grind/farming quests go there kill/explore/emote this and return.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 2:59 AM, berry said:

I havn't played mordor yet, but the idea of hard fighting mobs in LOTRO kinda annoying me.

The landscape fights are pretty much all the same no special abilities to the mobs just taking longer to kill mobs, and we did that so many times over and over again, Mordor is nothing new Angmar/Moria I believe were just hard as mordor, and many quests (mostly at Angmar) meant for fellowship. I guess my point is that I'm tired of doing this old shit again.

I would prefer to have series of quests with boss fighting mechanisms and a good story, than simply the same mindless grind/farming quests go there kill/explore/emote this and return.

Personally, landscape content should be kept to a minimum outside of interesting story driven quest chains.

I'm kinda glad that they borked the lore with the Orc Olympics, crossing a lore line for LotRO that should have never been approached IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time player. My brother and I bought lifetime accounts back when they were available. 

Since the birth of my niece, my brother stopped playing due to increased responsibilities and obligations, and justifiably so, leaving me mainly to creep PvP exclusively when I log in. We would usually just freep through PvE together because we live so far apart and it was a decent way to use VOIP and catch up while we levelled.

The first nail was radiance. Moria was fun. The initial instance cluster was challenging and varied. If memory serves, Im now in my late 40s, there were 6 different full fellowship instances each with radiance gear pieces that collectively provided you with a hope buff big enough to enter the 12 man raid. The introduction of the class traits afforded us interesting build differentials, allowing for adaptation to veritable environmental conditions, should one be so inclined to pursue best in slot items. We got these new weapons called Legendary Items that were rumored to grow in power with you. 

The only big problem, at that time, was grinding out the radiance so you weren't gated in the next 12 man raid. People got left behind and didn't get their radiance with the initial rush and once everyone had their boots or gloves, fuck the grand stairs, we're working on our shoulders and chest now. You could join a pug to pick up the pieces you needed, and try to catch up, but many couldn't find a seat at the table for Dar Narburgud, or whatever it's called due to lacking radiance. Bottom line at the time was it had a negative impact.

Many players left because they were gated from raids and couldn't participate with the radiance mechanic. Turbine eventually removed radiance gear and gates with Isengard if my memory serves. I credit them for fixing the mechanic.

Over time, the LIs became the second nail. Our kinship at the time lost a lot of players when Mirkwood item XP was different than Moria item XP and wouldn't empower your LI a single level. The legacy classifications and tiers were all random and at the time your level 60 LI was obsolete by 5 levels AND the deconstruction gave 0 item XP to any LI over 60. You couldn't change legacies and you could have spent a long time looking for a proper 2nd Age. They were drops only with Moria. 

 

By the time Mirkwood came around, a lot of folks didn't like having to reinvent the wheel on their LIs. Something that continued at 75, 85, 95, and finally at 100 if I'm not mistaken. Always, reinventing the wheel. The grind felt like it required a dedication and commitment to routinely logging a few hours a day to move the chains or stay current. Making another LI similar to the one you just spent a year polishing with best in slot relics, legacies, etc. Isengard wasn't too bad outside of reinventing the wheel again on all your equipment and LIs. 

The 3rd nail was mounted combat. Holy shit. Kiting NPCs through Rohan and rebuilding fucking Hytbold. Talk about a time to reflect on your life choices. 

The 4th nail was Big Battles. To these I can't really speak to from personal experience. The first one I did in the epic story line I never completed because I would fall asleep or just get up and walk away from the scripted combat. Holy shit awful. Disappointing as can be too. My imagination was never satisfied with any new expansion but Helms Deep was just Holy Shit awful.

The 5th nail was the introduction of the skill trees with Helms Deep and trait points. I recall thinking "Fuck that shit. I'm not going to grind out points to plug into these fucking trees" at the time. 

By the time Helms Deep came out I shelved all my freeps. It started with Moria because of the radiance, continued with Mirkwood because of LIs, the pendulum was mainly swinging further towards creeps through Isengard and Rohan. 

I haven't invested any time on freeps since 2011, maybe 12. So, it's been creeps when I log on for the last 5+ years. Creeps that play fulltime creeps are doing so because they're not going to grind levels and gear. The one thing they all have in common is how they'd describe their willingness to grind freep gear. 

From my perspective, Turbine and now Standing Stone have a long history of driving people away from the game with each expansion since Moria. The high water mark for me was The Rift of Nurz Gashu. The whole server would show up in Rivendell and wait for the player with the balrog's chain to turn it in so everyone got the hope buff. The community was awesome back then and it was something the whole server would show up for. Who was the hero with that fucking chain. It was a prestigious think to hold. Even inside your kinship, you didn't want someone to have the chain that wouldn't show up to turn it in. The whole server had a specific time to show up for the buff.

All that said, I have uninstalled my client a few times in the last couple of years but with Mordor, I don't think I'll be coming back.

TL;DR 

They've been fucking this game up for a long, long time. Accept it and move on from the title. Uninstall the client and just check the forums to see whats happening. Make it a process to log back in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, The_Donald said:

 

From my perspective, Turbine and now Standing Stone have a long history of driving people away from the game with each expansion since Moria. The high water mark for me was The Rift of Nurz Gashu. The whole server would show up in Rivendell and wait for the player with the balrog's chain to turn it in so everyone got the hope buff. The community was awesome back then and it was something the whole server would show up for. Who was the hero with that fucking chain. It was a prestigious think to hold. Even inside your kinship, you didn't want someone to have the chain that wouldn't show up to turn it in. The whole server had a specific time to show up for the buff.

+1. I got to know the whole server then. 

-1 for the nick. ;) The whole server got to know me... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Donald said:

From my perspective, Turbine and now Standing Stone have a long history of driving people away from the game with each expansion since Moria. The high water mark for me was The Rift of Nurz Gashu. The whole server would show up in Rivendell and wait for the player with the balrog's chain to turn it in so everyone got the hope buff. The community was awesome back then and it was something the whole server would show up for. Who was the hero with that fucking chain. It was a prestigious think to hold. Even inside your kinship, you didn't want someone to have the chain that wouldn't show up to turn it in. The whole server had a specific time to show up for the buff.

All that said, I have uninstalled my client a few times in the last couple of years but with Mordor, I don't think I'll be coming back.

TL;DR 

They've been fucking this game up for a long, long time. Accept it and move on from the title. Uninstall the client and just check the forums to see whats happening. Make it a process to log back in.

Couldn't say it better myself, their actions over the years drove people away.

The sad thing the last year was pretty good for them, they introduce new raid, people came back, and now they drove people again with their pricing agenda.

I have no idea who is calling the shots at lotro but In my opinion he is doing really bad job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've maintained for years that they're actively trying to sabotage their own studio (and succeeding quite well at it), and I've taken a lot of stick for that belief.  But the proof is in the pudding.  No one could possibly be THAT stupid unless it's by design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

I've maintained for years that they're actively trying to sabotage their own studio (and succeeding quite well at it), and I've taken a lot of stick for that belief.  But the proof is in the pudding.  No one could possibly be THAT stupid unless it's by design.

I've worked in support (normally as an escalation point or with devs, NOT consumers), and you'd be surprised at how stupid some of the things they do are.

Consumers, on the other hand, prove that the average human is dumber than a pile of rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

I've maintained for years that they're actively trying to sabotage their own studio (and succeeding quite well at it), and I've taken a lot of stick for that belief.  But the proof is in the pudding.  No one could possibly be THAT stupid unless it's by design.

why would they want to sabotage their money making product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, berry said:

why would they want to sabotage their money making product?

That's the million dollar question.

From a player's point of view (my point of view): they said they couldn't change housing, for years. Then it turned out: they could and they did, with movable hooks. (They implemented it when they could monetize it in an acceptable way through the Belfalas neighborhood).

They said, for years: we can't do cosmetic weapons. But they could, and eventually, they did.

They said, for years: we can't give you a weapon that grows with you. But eventually they made it and monetized it.

From what I have seen, systematically, what players would ask for, they would not get: no raids ('there is no raiding community'), and above points. Many players also feel that there has been a lack of promotion and advertisement of the game. Quite often, on the OF, a player asks 'enhance VIP', but I don't think it's necessary, there are enough people who pay for VIP on a continuous basis.

When people would get what they asked for, it often appeared in a way very different from what expected (based on the past). Look at the crafting tier: who would have ever thought that collecting regular crafting recipes would be placed behind grinding landscape quests? Crafting was also sabotaged in favor of essence gear.

The players also got what they didn't ask for or expressed they didn't want: a store, hobbit gifts, loot boxes with keys in the store, advantage through the store, trait trees, avatar make overs, big battles. And there is more, but I can't care to remember it.

For years, Lotro supplied money for gaming endeavors that led to nothing. That money didn't make it back into the game.

For years, players thought that 'WB made them do it', but SSG admitted that that was never the case.

So it's either that indeed, they are that stupid, or: this tactic has made them a lot of money. If it's the latter, then what appears as 'sabotage' is WAI.

Paiz said: they will keep playing (and paying) regardless of what you throw at them. And I guess that has turned out to be true. If their strategy is to keep the whales, with as little expense on Turbine/SSG's side, then I think they are succeeding quite nicely. That the game is a mess does not matter to them. And that that doesn't make sense to the player base is understandable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Paiz said: they will keep playing (and paying) regardless of what you throw at them. And I guess that has turned out to be true. If their strategy is to keep the whales, with as little expense on Turbine/SSG's side, then I think they are succeeding quite nicely. That the game is a mess does not matter to them. And that that doesn't make sense to the player base is understandable.

 

I agree with what you said, I don't understand their choices over years, I was wondering if they are actually trying to drive players away. I tried to understand turbine's tactics over the years and it never made any sense to me.

But I still don't understand why would they do it in deliberately. Maybe the whalers are really keep this game alive. I wish we could see the real number behind the game how many players still playing, and how much money this game even makes this days.

And I got to ask when Paiz said that? do you have a source for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While being a worthy member of our "cesspool of negativity" and basically agreeing with all the shit thrown at "Turd/SSG" I would like to say something.

As lifer, I decided to wait for Mordor to become available for points, and was just walking about, using tasks etc... Then hearing instances approaching, good reviews from kinnies, scared of being left behind, I coughed up the 30 quids and bought Mordor. 

 

IT IS WORTH IT. 

If you can save on a couple of Pizzas - buy it. If lifer without an active kin - sure, wait and buy with points. But don't post any rubbish about how horrible it is, without playing it  - it's a decent expansion. Instances and raid will decide its fate for me, there are some silly bugs, silly grind for new equipment etc - but I'm having fun. 

That's all I'm willing to share so far. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, berry said:

I agree with what you said, I don't understand their choices over years, I was wondering if they are actually trying to drive players away. I tried to understand turbine's tactics over the years and it never made any sense to me.

But I still don't understand why would they do it in deliberately. Maybe the whalers are really keep this game alive. I wish we could see the real number behind the game how many players still playing, and how much money this game even makes this days.

And I got to ask when Paiz said that? do you have a source for that?

It only makes sense when players are wrong in assuming that the choices they see made, and that they don't like/want, leads to less income for the company. Then it makes sense from a business sense of view: the game is a means to the end: more money.

There is the clip in this thread:

 

but I don't know whether that's exactly what I was referring to. Maybe another poster has a better link. I seem to remember a much longer audio tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...