LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

Amazon: Lord of the Rings for tv?

19 minutes ago, ZaklanoSrce said:

Based on current "cultural " climate and looking at Hobbit trilogy as an example .. you know Tauriel ... muh strong female character for sake of having muh strong female character .

White male rage ? Did you just assume my gender and race ? ¬†ūüėĀ

She got her ass handed to her and watched as her dwarf lover (lmao) died. Ripley was a strong female character.  Tauriel was eye candy at best.

Well, you made the hero-turned-villain-for-the-sake-of-pop-culture in your mythical story white and male so...yeah, I did.  :)

1 hour ago, ZaklanoSrce said:

Time to raise this thread,since stuff is moving forward .

Actual filming started in New Zealand .

I found this article that i honestly cannot tell if this is real or a parody,some quotes - 

" I reckon the idea of Gandalf being a kuia covered in beautiful moko and tattoos would be incredible. "

" Malcolm said it's time the perspective in the show was flipped, and should be less male-focussed than its film counterparts, in which Sir Ian McKellen played the wizard. "

" Malcolm wasn't concerned about "Tolkien purists out there who would violently disagree," pointing out that LoTR was first and foremost a fantasy. "

"We've had female Hamlets," she said. "Why not?"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/115915879/we-dont-need-another-old-white-dude-call-for-gandalf-to-be-female-in-lotr

So it seems we can expect black gender-queer purple haired feminist Sauron fighting for ork rights against evil white male Numenoreans .

I don't want to live in this world anymore |:(

We used to call similar ridiculous opinions from celebrities "virtue-signalling", however it seems there's no virtue in these sorts of things lately for it to be applicable. Leftist-signalling, maybe. I had no idea who that even was, but it turns out she played that one woman that sends her kids away on the horse in Rohan during the raid. Hired for a minimal invented diversity part. I'm similarly tired of SJWs trying to gender/race bend everything they can. I'd much rather see new franchises and let them sink or swim on their own merits, instead of having to ride on the coat-tails of what they see as "too male" or "too white".

However, it sounds like the "journalist" was twisting things for the sake of a clickbait headline (which worked). It seems more like she's saying it would be nice to see some female witchy stuff in there, and I actually agree. Some evil lieutenants of Sauron being female sorceresses, or some benevolent female hermits out there doing some shamanistic shiz, it could be interesting. She's saying a figure like Gandalf but female, i.e. a senior mystical figure to look to for counsel, which is different to actually wanting to change Gandalf. As long as what has already been established isn't fucked with, there's plenty of room of logical female characters. Maori would be difficult to explain away, considering the geographical limitations, but you could have a few rare darker characters that are seafarers from southern reaches. They'd have to be limited and not just something glossed over by other characters as "yeah Middle-earth is used to being multicultural nobody even sees colour", but I could see some room.

6 hours ago, Papi said:

She got her ass handed to her and watched as her dwarf lover (lmao) died. Ripley was a strong female character.  Tauriel was eye candy at best.

Well, you made the hero-turned-villain-for-the-sake-of-pop-culture in your mythical story white and male so...yeah, I did.  :)

That's like what happened in the summer, we had two action oriented films with a female lead, one had a well written and strong female lead, the other was set in the MCU.

Guess which one the media shilled for.....