LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
MegaSuperUltra

Is this viable?

Me and some friends started playing this like last week (yeah we're late lol) and we didn't really go into the game thinking of a good setup to play as and just went with what we liked. There are three of us, Champion, Minstrel and Hunter. Is this trio an okay setup to have? Basically for Skirmishes and other instances, or will we have to LF tank or LF healz to actually get through instances and stuff? (the small fellowship stuff ofcourse) We've already done some skirmishes which are fun, but we get out ass beaten by the instances.

it's a good setup in my eyes as your champ is a tank if you don't have a guardian

as long as your minstrel keeps up with the healing and the champ and hunter take all aggro you should be fine for most things unless you have an instance which will need 6 players - if it's an instance or a hard fight, don't let your minstrel fight too much, make them heal heal heal heal :)

Me and some friends started playing this like last week (yeah we're late lol) and we didn't really go into the game thinking of a good setup to play as and just went with what we liked. There are three of us, Champion, Minstrel and Hunter. Is this trio an okay setup to have? Basically for Skirmishes and other instances, or will we have to LF tank or LF healz to actually get through instances and stuff? (the small fellowship stuff ofcourse) We've already done some skirmishes which are fun, but we get out ass beaten by the instances.<br/>
<br />You have your group heals in your Minnie but I would consider trading out the Champ for a Guard. Reasoning you might want to keep the Hunter for the limited CC. If you prefer to keep the Champ, you might switch out the Hunter for a Captain. Also remember your traits which will become more effective at around 30s and up. A lot of people overlook or forget about traits until near endgame because they aren't as effective at lowbie levels but they can start to become a defining point to your character's build as early as mid/upper 20s.

EDIT: Maowin is correct as well. Your Minnie will definately have to keep on their healing toes to keep the current trio.

Me and some friends started playing this like last week (yeah we're late lol) and we didn't really go into the game thinking of a good setup to play as and just went with what we liked. There are three of us, Champion, Minstrel and Hunter. Is this trio an okay setup to have? Basically for Skirmishes and other instances, or will we have to LF tank or LF healz to actually get through instances and stuff? (the small fellowship stuff ofcourse) We've already done some skirmishes which are fun, but we get out ass beaten by the instances.

A tanking champion with melee AoE attacks, a hunter with ranged DPS, and a minstrel with heals and buffs should be able to rip through just about any on level skirmishes/small fellowship instances without problems. The key to success, though, is everyone learning their role in the party.

I would say that for levelling, and the early small fellowship instances, pretty much any combination of three classes would work, provided everyone knows what they are doing. Skirmishes are even easier because if you lack any specific role you can use soldiers to have every angle covered.

Obviously for 6-man instances (like Greater Barrows which are the first instances you meet) you'll need some more players, but these can be pretty much any class.

Personally, I would have loved to have had two other people to group with constantly throughout levelling etc. Good luck in Middle Earth :-)

Thanks for clearing that up guys, now I don't have to worry about getting to a high level and realising we chose the wrong setup to play with us three mainly :P (I don't have a problem with getting someone else, but having to find someone to do a certain role everytime was one of the reasons I got bored of WoW fast) Looks like im going to start tanking :)

Yeah its pretty sweet leveling consistantly with friends, makes questing easier/funner :)

Thanks for clearing that up guys, now I don't have to worry about getting to a high level and realising we chose the wrong setup to play with us three mainly :P (I don't have a problem with getting someone else, but having to find someone to do a certain role everytime was one of the reasons I got bored of WoW fast) Looks like im going to start tanking :)

Yeah its pretty sweet leveling consistantly with friends, makes questing easier/funner :)

you shouldnt have any worries, just plenty fun *O* also, tell your hunter dude to switch into his endurance stance if he's pullin too much agro onto himself (available lvl 28 i think) ;)

but aye, you should breeze through levelin & skirms no bother with those 3

Levelling with a premade group is a very nice option to have, and the classes you have picked would definitely work.

The only thing that you might want to be aware of is that as the Champion you might find yourself switching roles if you join larger groups. In the end that isn't a downside, as long as you are aware of the possible need to retrait or adjust gear based on the circumstances.

The only class that has ever been "necessary" has been the MNS (and that before the RK was available). There are times you need an out-and-out healer. Beyond that, skilled players should be able to adapt their tactics to suit what they have to hand. I've spent 4 years in this game, and I've pretty much avoided like the plague any group LFFing "Need GDN / MNS". All that says to me is you can't figure out another way of doing things...