LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

Letter from Executive Producer Rob Ciccolini: A Look Ahead

2 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Eh, if they take the FFXIV approach to PvP (where every class is assigned stats and has ~10 skills, down from the PvE 36 or so), then all gear does is make you look pretty.  That and LotRO would need to replace the name with the class (so you only see Captains, hunters, guards, champs, and Valar mini instead of char name).

It's too late in the LotRO PvMP scene for a change like that to work, and I'm convinced that something of that nature is absolutely required to balance PvP in an MMO because otherwise there's too many vairables in play.

not to derail this thread by interjecting some FFXIV sanity, but I agree 100%.  PvP should be more about the skill of the player than anything else.  The PvP scene is thriving (at least on my server) especially with the intro of the new 48 person rival wings, it's fucking brilliant and more importantly it's fun.

back to the thread...the prod letter is all spin and no meat.  the fanboys/girls are salivating over the idea that Erebor will be of the same magnitude as Moria which of course is impossible with the current "indie" team.  while my lotro obsession panged a bit at the thought of seeing dale and laketown considering they haven't even mentioned anything about what they are doing to actually improve the performance all the pretty landscape doesn't mean shit in the end.

Then there's the entire debacle over Battlefront 2 and lootboxes which is going to cause issues with gaming because (so far):

• EU is probably going to ban lootboxes
  • Hawaii is looking into this issue, and will probably classify Battlefront 2 as a gambling game due to loot boxes (which means other US states are soon to follow)
  • EA so badly screwed the pooch that it now has has Disney mad at EA because of the damage done to the Star Wars brand

If the keys for the lootboxes and mithril coins for hobbit slots are a significant chunk of the LotRO revenue... that's a really bad thing for LotRO because another company's stupidity is going to hurt LotRO.

It's one thing when they do it to themselves, it's another when (how did Warframe put it... oh yes) "A Cult Worshipping Money" does it to everyone else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Then there's the entire debacle over Battlefront 2 and lootboxes which is going to cause issues with gaming because (so far):

• EU is probably going to ban lootboxes
  • Hawaii is looking into this issue, and will probably classify Battlefront 2 as a gambling game due to loot boxes (which means other US states are soon to follow)
  • EA so badly screwed the pooch that it now has has Disney mad at EA because of the damage done to the Star Wars brand

If the keys for the lootboxes and mithril coins for hobbit slots are a significant chunk of the LotRO revenue... that's a really bad thing for LotRO because another company's stupidity is going to hurt LotRO.

It's one thing when they do it to themselves, it's another when (how did Warframe put it... oh yes) "A Cult Worshipping Money" does it to everyone else.

As much as I love lotro, I don't care about the fate of the game or the company who runs it cause I don't feel like they were being honest with us or treated their fan base with fairness, I know many will disagree with me and maybe it's not true, but this is the way I feel about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, berry said:

As much as I love lotro, I don't care about the fate of the game or the company who runs it cause I don't feel like they were being honest with us or treated their fan base with fairness, I know many will disagree with me and maybe it's not true, but this is the way I feel about it.

I feel the same way.  People were way off when they thought that not being on WB's boot was going to be the saving grace of Lotro.  They just traded one publisher for another who is even more nefarious in their ways of gouging the customer than WB was.

• Like 1

I don't actually have an issue with the gambling aspect of lootboxes, I'm an adult, I can make decisions about how to spend my money. If people think kids will end up gambling addicts because of lootboxes then look at their parents for blame first. 

My only real issue with lootboxes is that, as we see with battlefront, major parts of the game are held behind a grind or a gamble. If you have already spent £60 on a star wars game you certainly would expect to be able to play as Luke skywalker without paying extra or grinding 40-50 hours for it. That annoys me. Limit lootboxes to CCGs and in game cosmetics (see overwatch) and I think they are fine to be honest, I can choose to ignore them. 

EU won't ban lootboxes, they may look at the age rating of games with lootboxes and probably ask companies to reveal the odds but they won't get banned completely 

20 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

I don't actually have an issue with the gambling aspect of lootboxes, I'm an adult, I can make decisions about how to spend my money. If people think kids will end up gambling addicts because of lootboxes then look at their parents for blame first. 

My only real issue with lootboxes is that, as we see with battlefront, major parts of the game are held behind a grind or a gamble. If you have already spent £60 on a star wars game you certainly would expect to be able to play as Luke skywalker without paying extra or grinding 40-50 hours for it. That annoys me. Limit lootboxes to CCGs and in game cosmetics (see overwatch) and I think they are fine to be honest, I can choose to ignore them. 

EU won't ban lootboxes, they may look at the age rating of games with lootboxes and probably ask companies to reveal the odds but they won't get banned completely 

That's just it, we're asking a bunch of lawyers to do something right.

I'd bet the Shire that they won't.

They should have sticked to a subscription only game with a store for fluff. Same with games these days. I pay 60 euro's for them and only have a part of the game. I'd prefer to pay 80 euro's and have the complete game.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I feel the same way.  People were way off when they thought that not being on WB's boot was going to be the saving grace of Lotro.  They just traded one publisher for another who is even more nefarious in their ways of gouging the customer than WB was.

I agree with you and berry.  I think they really believe that being the only Middle-Earth MMO lets them get away with anything.  In fact they pretty much confirmed that that's their attitude when they talked about the "ultimate fan" edition of Mordor.  Look for the video of that stream if they still have it up, it's amazing how upfront they are about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, warspeech said:

... it's amazing how upfront they are about it.

When you've got so many wet-blankets as customers, you can be as blatant with your scam as you like.

• Like 1

Agreed, I have very little sympathy for fanbois.  Especially the vocal ones on the OF.  They bear much of the blame for what LOTRO devolved into, and they've spent much of the past seven years bent over with a smile on their face while being reamed by the Horn of Gondor.

4 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Agreed, I have very little sympathy for fanbois.  Especially the vocal ones on the OF.  They bear much of the blame for what LOTRO devolved into, and they've spent much of the past seven years bent over with a smile on their face while being reamed by the Horn of Gondor.

Better be careful or one of those idiots are going to screenshot a post from here, post a pic of it on the OF, and then try to beat you over the head with it.

Especially the losers with no spine and no way to beat you in a fair argument.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:36 AM, warspeech said:

I agree with you and berry.  I think they really believe that being the only Middle-Earth MMO lets them get away with anything.  In fact they pretty much confirmed that that's their attitude when they talked about the "ultimate fan" edition of Mordor.  Look for the video of that stream if they still have it up, it's amazing how upfront they are about it.

They have a dedicated percentage of whales playing the game that thank them for everything they do.  "Thanks oh benevolent lords of Lotro for bestowing upon us a huge waste of money."  I've bought things over the years that some people would consider a waste of money.  However, I like to get value for my dollar and no digital release is ever going to be worth 130 bucks.  Other companies charge those kind of figures but at least they give you tangible items you can display.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amenhir said:

They have a dedicated percentage of whales playing the game that thank them for everything they do.  "Thanks oh benevolent lords of Lotro for bestowing upon us a huge waste of money."  I've bought things over the years that some people would consider a waste of money.  However, I like to get value for my dollar and no digital release is ever going to be worth 130 bucks.  Other companies charge those kind of figures but at least they give you tangible items you can display.

And yet, there's Star Citizen >.>

27 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

And yet, there's Star Citizen >.>

I'm waiting for the day when that all blows up.

10 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I'm waiting for the day when that all blows up.

Until I see a public beta for it, I'm calling it the world's greatest vaporware scam.

On ‎25‎-‎11‎-‎2017 at 12:36 AM, Almagnus1 said:

Better be careful or one of those idiots are going to screenshot a post from here, post a pic of it on the OF, and then try to beat you over the head with it.

Especially the losers with no spine and no way to beat you in a fair argument.

Feel safe, that is against the new rules.

The letter, not much to say about it... "we are excited and will continue developing Lotro". With the lootboxes and the progression (it's designed for lootboxes) tied to them, I'd think twice before spending in this company/game anymore.

43 minutes ago, Trisswyn said:

Feel safe, that is against the new rules.

The letter, not much to say about it... "we are excited and will continue developing Lotro". With the lootboxes and the progression (it's designed for lootboxes) tied to them, I'd think twice before spending in this company/game anymore.

I stopped subbing about 5 months ago and I've logged in a total of three times in the last month.  Once was to help a family member do some quests.  The other two times lasted about five minutes  and then I was immediately reminded why I stopped.  It wasn't the lootboxes that did me in, it was the haphazard attempt at balancing and the shitty gear for light armor classes.  The release of Mordor was the first time that leveling up actually made me weaker and taking a second stab at radiance was a stupid idea.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:03 AM, psalm8818 said:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?659957-SSG-what-is-the-date-for-the-games-closing

Yeah, it's a stupid thread, but the CM's ONE JOB is to say "We have no plans to shut down LOTRO", instead of being a massive cockmaster in an attempt to amuse the shills and fanbois.  Answer the fucking question and don't be a douche to your community members.  Is that too much to ask from a COMMUNITY RELATIONS MANAGER?

Christian.s aka Splay,Brammble

A stupid thread it may be. However imo it was a necessary to show the level of stupid that is SSG to the LotRo community. Most of who still play,purposely choose to remain blind to the health of the game,which many love and hold dear even when confronted with the larger truth. The game turned into a shitfest money grab,when it could have been so much more. In the end Cordovan gave me the free uninhibited opportunity to trollfuck him and SSG until their very last day. Cordovan with his cocky hubris gave me 5 billion years to spit that back at him with impunity.

I didn't see a comment from Sev. Honestly,I didn't expect to anyway. After watching Cord and Sev in ytube clips and live streams,to me the writing on the wall was clear. A neckbeard who likely hates his job and an ocd fucktard who can't even answer the simplest of questions in a live stream without getting a brain spasm and just stutters until Cord saves him.

• Like 1

Oh he definitely hates his job.  It's perfectly obvious he resents being the CM for LOTRO.  His baby was Dungeons and Dragons Online, but when Frelorn proved to be just as inadequate as Sapience, Cordovan was shoehorned into replacing him.  Cordovan has demonstrated time and again through his livestreams that he not only doesn't actually PLAY LOTRO, but he doesn't understand the game mechanics.  But most importantly, he doesn't understand the community.  Nor does he want to.  Do you know why?  Because he doesn't have to.  Turbine/SSG won't hold him accountable for being unable to relate to the community of which he is the COMMUNITY RELATIONS MANAGER.  As long as Cordovan censors and suppresses public criticism of their product from the eyes and ears of the shareholders and/or CEOs (which is all he is capable of doing on the OF), then he meets their expectations.

Which is exactly what is wrong with LOTRO.  It only strives to meet the expectations of individuals who don't even play it.