LOTROCommunity

Orions blog on Minstrel changes

Deals strong light damage to up to 3 targets in a 5m radius and reduces mounted speed by 10%, normal movement speed by 25% and increases the attack speed of the targets by 10% for 15 seconds. Cooldown 60 seconds.

Hmmmmmm interesting, very interesting. Mounted combat?

What's suggested is a major overhaul of how the class is played at present. I'm not sure such drastic change is worth the alleged dps / heal output increase. I don't want to be a RK!

The issue surely is how to make minstrel's more survivable when soloing. With pretty much all base content designed to be solo'd, minstrel's need some help here. I acknowledge minstrels don't have to quest to gain xp (repeat instances or skirms instead) but questing whilst dps traited can be fun IMO. Some thoughts:

Option 1 - Increase dps and leave self heals and armour as is. This would mirror RKs.

Option 2 - Leave dps as is (it's good enough IMO) and do not penalise minstrel self heals when in war speech.

Option 3 - At present I can retrait for dps but have to keep light armour (annuminas set excluded) and slotted LI relics that complement healing output. Perhaps the 'call of war' legendary skill could be enhanced to allow minstrels to throw up a bubble similar to 'lay of the hammerhead' that increases armour and damage output? Or (following other class examples) 5 red traits would convert 'war speach' into a greater skill that significantly increases armour? 8)7

He stated primarly that..

The minstrel is a good healer. In fact, the minstrel can be the best healer in the game. They lack a little efficiency for healing, but overall they are still better than their newer cousin - the Rune-keeper.

He is simply in technical terms making the minstrel choose which ballads to use at what specific times. He is not turning us into RK's. One set of ballads for healing, one for WS and one for primary buffs that saves power cost. To focus on what to use in situations and not need to spam mercilessness to get the result in which you would prefer.

He is technically using the same tactic in the proposed Warden changes, making wardens choose what gambits they use in combat and getting a % chance of potency in which the gambit will re stack itself.

I see lots of changes with all classes in the future in which we all have to think before we do.

As for the WS stuff I have not really paid much attention to it as WS isn't something I generally do on my minstrel.

Edited by Ardhuial

Why do minstrels need better armour when rune-keepers don't? Because of better CC?

Well RKs wear light armour but throw out much more dps than a minstrel can and they also have some CC skills. In other words a RK will get the fight over with much quicker than a minstrel can and therefore the RK is more survivable.

RK and minstrel are of course the two main healing classes. IMO minstrel should be great at healing and reasonable at dps, whereas RK should be great at dps and reasonable at healing. This would help with class separation.

Improving armour / damage resistance is one way to improve minstrel survivability without tuning up their dps output.

The issue surely is how to make minstrel's more survivable when soloing. With pretty much all base content designed to be solo'd, minstrel's need some help here.

Why? I don't have any trouble surviving solo. The only two problems I've ever really found in solo play across all the classes (and I've been here since Day One of Open Beta, & have had every class at the cap before it's been raised, barring BRG & CPT before they gave us 9 slots on a single server) is the Hunter's difficulty in taking down Elites, and everyone else's inability to travel quickly around the world (remember Vol1 Bk15 as it originally was? I swore off ever doing that again, once I'd done it on LM (in company with a HNT) and as a HNT. Until such time as I found it revamped anyway...).

The real problem lies in the fact that far too many players sit around whining about how their class can't do what such&such can do, blatantly ignoring the fact that that class can't do several things that you can. Every time Turbine go a through process of "Month of the...", all we get is a game in which all of the classes become increasingly alike. And let's be honest, it's not a difficult game in the first place, unless you set yourself artifically difficult goals such as 6 manning raids, soloing instances / instance bosses / Elite Masters+, etc. By the time we get to Mordor, they'll be able to dispense with the class selection. They'll be able to just give you a straight choice between Jack-of-all-trades, and Uber Jack-of-all-trades (i.e. RK / WDN compound) if you've purchased access.

Yes, I'm melodramatically exagerrating, as well as being extremely cynical, but you get my general drift. If you want the abilities of the other class so much, play the other class & sacrifice the ones you've got. Otherwise, what is the point of bothering with classes at all? I'm reminded of the dreadful Elder Scrolls series, where it's always been possible (as far I can remember; certainly in Oblivion) to grind every skill to 100%...

Accept that some classes do some things better than others, and therefore some classes can exploit (in the non-pejorative sense) some scenarios better than others. I can remember a BRG kinnie in SoA complaining that he was struggling to reach the L50 cap. Why? He'd run out of quests, because he'd been finishing most of them by sneaking round the mobs, so hadn't racked up the killing ixp over the course of time... Cherish the differences & stop asking for changes before you find that they're all alike... ;)

And if a Mod happens by, shouldn't this thread be in the Minstrel section, as other "Proposed Changes" threads are? ;)

And if a Mod happens by, shouldn't this thread be in the Minstrel section, as other "Proposed Changes" threads are? ;)

It is linked in the Minstrel forum, but this forum is for game updates and these changes are game updates

No they're not, they're ideas for changes. Just like in the e.g. Warden's forum. Glad I never voted for you as "Font of Wisdom"! :P Besides which, they are class specific, not generic game updates, or wide-ranging patches, and so only of interests to Minstrels. And yes, you can argue "also to those interested in Minstrel changes" which is most people probably, but nevertheless it remains a class specific thread! Therefore! ;)

Not having huge minstrel experience but I don't see any major overhauls here. Orion seems to just makes people think before using buffs, more or less like You do it on captain. Ballads(weakest) will be used "before" fight and just do their job as they'll be permanent. Anthem(better) will be more reactive buffs played before or after some stage in the fight. Codas(biggest effect) will be some kind of emergency skills(healing) or finishers(dps) as they penalize You by removing all ballads.

As Orion explained this change is meant to add depth to minstrel gameplay. Healing itself will be unchanged and easiest part of the class. Buffing will allow You to get better if only You spend time on thinking what buffs You'll need or want to have ready as emergency.

As for class homogenization I think it's a good thing as long as they differ in their style. For example captain and minstrel both can be healers, but they have completely different feeling.

• 2 weeks later...