LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
psalm8818

Vastin Takes a Dig at Dissatisfied Customers

Yeah, props to him that he admitted he fucked up. Still, him fucking up because he's a dev that doesn't actually know what the classes do and doesn't even seem to play the game, well that's just laziness. Either he oversold himself to his higher-ups about his competency, or he was thrown in at the deep end. Surely they have at least one person in the whole of Turbine 2.0 that knows the classes as well as players do, right?

Didn't many of the LOTRO programs from Turbine go to SSG ?  And my understanding was that anyone that new anything about the underpinnings of the LOTRO code at Turbine had long ago sailed to the west

13 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

He fucked up. 

When shown it - admitted publicly. 

Rare.

Anyone who calls him a moron - better have a look at yourself.

On the third hand..... https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?664842-22-2-2-broke-minstrel-Raise-Spirit-HoT

I think I'll just give up...

Listen, I understand he's only human, and that there's only so much one human can do.  The issue is that he thought it would be cute to jump in to the discourse, scold all the dissatisfied customers and assert that he knows better than them, and then shut down the discussion (see OP), yet now are all these examples that illustrate he clearly doesn't know better than the people who actually play the classes and the game, and that he's actually made a slew of unintentional changes.  "I apologize" isn't going to cut it, especially after that snarky, condescending jab.

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing AT ALL, and SSG had no business releasing an update in such a piss-poor state.  People on Bullroaror tried to tell him all this crap was broken, and they pleaded with him to fix them.  But he ignored them, just like he ignored the blue-line hunters who begged him not to balance the entire tree around pvmp.  Instead, like so many people today, he only listened to the praise, the ass-kissing, and the pats on the back from shills, most of whom were strict pvmpers who simply weren't skilled enough to counter blue hunters.

The german server stat page shows logins at an all-time low since the update.  Virtually everyone still playing had a blue hunter, either as a main or an alt.  Vastin's incompetence has affected the majority of remaining players, most of whom are sick and tired of having to completely regear, retrait, and relearn h2p with every shitty update.  He IS a moron, for not having listened to the feedback provided during testing, and for only listening to the folks who were saying what he wanted to "hear."  But as subs evaporate and revenue continues to fall, he's going to be told all of this from his bosses.  I only wonder if it was them that forced him to crap out such a horrible update in such an awful state?  But then again, that is exactly the same thing that's been said about almost every single update since Evendim….

4 hours ago, Woeg said:

Didn't many of the LOTRO programs from Turbine go to SSG ?  And my understanding was that anyone that new anything about the underpinnings of the LOTRO code at Turbine had long ago sailed to the west

SSG, like Turbine before it, is a developer's playground. There is no real project management going on, and it shows. They "develop" features right up until the release date, and drop whatever is done (or half-done) as a completed package. Severlin is the Executive Producer, and I assume that means one of his jobs is to act as a project manager. The PM typically determines the projects that should be included in a particular release, defines the scope of each project, and works with the development QA managers to determine the amount of time the project requires for completion and testing, as well as to determine which resources should be assigned to the project. None of that really seems to happen in the Turbine/SSG world. It seems like the developers are given a general direction and set loose to code on a whim.

In this type of environment, QA is a joke. There is simply no way QA can test and sign off on a feature when it is changing in fundamental ways 2 days before the release date. It shows when obvious bugs like the Lingering Wound or War-Chant issues were allowed to go live, not to mention the issue with some LM skills like Water-Lore not ticking the initial damage/heal or the missing cocoon in an intro quest.

I was in the closed beta for both RoI and RoR, and finally gave up trying to give feedback or test because they were literally changing the landscape and quest flow every few days, right up until the release dates.

14 hours ago, Talisman said:

SSG, like Turbine before it, is a developer's playground. There is no real project management going on, and it shows. They "develop" features right up until the release date, and drop whatever is done (or half-done) as a completed package. Severlin is the Executive Producer, and I assume that means one of his jobs is to act as a project manager. The PM typically determines the projects that should be included in a particular release, defines the scope of each project, and works with the development QA managers to determine the amount of time the project requires for completion and testing, as well as to determine which resources should be assigned to the project. None of that really seems to happen in the Turbine/SSG world. It seems like the developers are given a general direction and set loose to code on a whim.

In this type of environment, QA is a joke. There is simply no way QA can test and sign off on a feature when it is changing in fundamental ways 2 days before the release date. It shows when obvious bugs like the Lingering Wound or War-Chant issues were allowed to go live, not to mention the issue with some LM skills like Water-Lore not ticking the initial damage/heal or the missing cocoon in an intro quest.

I was in the closed beta for both RoI and RoR, and finally gave up trying to give feedback or test because they were literally changing the landscape and quest flow every few days, right up until the release dates.

That's my read too... they probably wouldn't know what a kanban board is if it bit them in the ass.

This sure does seem like a troll thread. I'm hardly the biggest fan of lotro these days .. but there's nothing wrong with Vastin's post.  Especially in the context of the handful of whingers on the forum making repeated assertions with nothing to back them up.

I was actually following the blue hunter whinge fest closely enough to debunk some of the entitled easy moders' absurd claims. No surprises, but I found the new supposedly "broken" blue hunter still wrecked its way through landscape like a hot knife through butter. 

6 hours ago, Bohemond said:

This sure does seem like a troll thread. I'm hardly the biggest fan of lotro these days .. but there's nothing wrong with Vastin's post.  Especially in the context of the handful of whingers on the forum making repeated assertions with nothing to back them up.

I was actually following the blue hunter whinge fest closely enough to debunk some of the entitled easy moders' absurd claims. No surprises, but I found the new supposedly "broken" blue hunter still wrecked its way through landscape like a hot knife through butter. 

Regardless of what anyone likes to claim, people love being OP.  A lot of players switched to blue line and basically abandoned red or they decided to create a hunter because of all the hype about how stupidly broken the class became.  Hours upon hours of creating the perfect LIs and then having to do it all over again because they destroyed their red ones or never made them in the first place is going to piss people off.  As an employee of a company it's never a good idea to even slightly appear to be a dickbag to the players.  

Now, I loathe the new crop of hunters and I equally loathe the players that claim the game is too easy(duh)and that they want every class nerfed, all the while posting endless dick measuring screenshots and dps numbers.  They're full of shit.  They wanted it to go back to a time when they were the king shits.  Frankly, this game is a pile of shit and should be destroyed.  At this point anyone who spends any money or hours upon hours playing the game should have their head examined.

1 hour ago, Amenhir said:

They're full of shit.  They wanted it to go back to a time when they were the king shits.

True for some, I'm sure, but a bit of an over generalisation. It'll never happen, but I'd love to return to an early SoA difficulty when I sure as hell wasn't king anything. In the early days, I floated between my hunter champ and burg. I remember once when I was back on my early 30s champ, after playing burg for a little while. A little rusty, and spoiled by my burg's avoidances, he pulled a couple too many worms in the ram duath, messed up his fervour gen and with N/A for BPE was shredded in no time. That is the kind of time I'd like to go back to. 

5 hours ago, Bohemond said:

True for some, I'm sure, but a bit of an over generalisation. It'll never happen, but I'd love to return to an early SoA difficulty when I sure as hell wasn't king anything. In the early days, I floated between my hunter champ and burg. I remember once when I was back on my early 30s champ, after playing burg for a little while. A little rusty, and spoiled by my burg's avoidances, he pulled a couple too many worms in the ram duath, messed up his fervour gen and with N/A for BPE was shredded in no time. That is the kind of time I'd like to go back to. 

The game is too old and the attention span of the average player is too little.  New players who might be attracted to the game due to the IP are not really interested in steep learning curves or bumps in difficulty.  Consider that a lot of games that are being played are these mobile games that most people go through like toilet paper during a shit storm.  They should have left well enough alone.  

As someone who signed on to blue line early (before it was "cool"), I noticed the changes right away.  When I played blue, I relied heavily on critical damage, speed and focus generation as ways to buff damage, using a little red line to do so.  When they moved Deadly Precision very far down the red tree, rather than near the top, that did slow me down a bit.  Having a longer Barrage cool-down didn't really help, either, especially as I used to turn on Rapid Fire and alternate between Barrage, Penetrating Shot and Merciful Shot for quick kills.  Yes, I have more healing options than before, but I shall miss the way I used to be able to hit fast and hard while on-the-move.

I haven't found the changes that noticeable for myself in all honesty (ymmv)  - my blue line seems about the same but my red line hits a lot harder now - perhaps its my build or play style - or lack thereof in both cases 😉   (this after more Mordor and finished off N.Mirkwood)  I tend to quest mostly in blue then if tackling harder instances or areas where I know I will draw aggro and need more firepower I switch to red (I suck at kiting ...)

I dusted off a L75 hunter recently, always ran it in red line so I saw no reason to change that. Solo'd Limlight Gorge on-level, no special build, no special weapons, no real knowledge of a good rotation. Since that was considered the hardest on-level content at the time (and something I needed my hybrid build guard or champ for to solo originally), I don't expect it to be much harder anywhere else.

fwiw - I found Mordor and N.Mirk a little harder (not like early SOA) - but I had to pay more attention to pulls or ended up doing a dirtnap (on more than one occasion)

21 hours ago, Woeg said:

fwiw - I found Mordor and N.Mirk a little harder (not like early SOA) - but I had to pay more attention to pulls or ended up doing a dirtnap (on more than one occasion)

The sudden jump in difficulty at level 106+ may be caused by this:

bxeJUN9.png

This looks okay

t. Truibin™/SSG™

On 7/2/2018 at 3:38 PM, Amenhir said:

The game is too old and the attention span of the average player is too little.  New players who might be attracted to the game due to the IP are not really interested in steep learning curves or bumps in difficulty.  Consider that a lot of games that are being played are these mobile games that most people go through like toilet paper during a shit storm.  They should have left well enough alone.  

... Have you even tried to play Warframe?

That's got a learning curve like a brick wall, and throwing more money at it (to buy platinum) isn't going to help you until you learn enough of the game mechanics that you'll probalby not need the platinum for a majority of the things while also figured out how to use warframe.market to sell stuff and generate platinum, essentially making it an effective F2P game that works... if you don't mind the work involved.

Oh, and it's also (at the time of writing) #4 at https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ .

On 7/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, Almagnus1 said:

... Have you even tried to play Warframe?

That's got a learning curve like a brick wall, and throwing more money at it (to buy platinum) isn't going to help you until you learn enough of the game mechanics that you'll probalby not need the platinum for a majority of the things while also figured out how to use warframe.market to sell stuff and generate platinum, essentially making it an effective F2P game that works... if you don't mind the work involved.

Oh, and it's also (at the time of writing) #4 at https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ .

What does warframe have to do with lotro.  Warframe is a shooter with a ton of action. Lotro is a tab targetting snoozefest in comparison.  There isn't much of learning curve in Warframe.  I managed to pick that up rather quickly.  Then I stopped playing after about six months because grinding more components to make weapons and frames got really boring.  Farming Akkad though sure is a ton of excitement. /s

9 hours ago, Amenhir said:

What does warframe have to do with lotro.  Warframe is a shooter with a ton of action. Lotro is a tab targetting snoozefest in comparison.  There isn't much of learning curve in Warframe.  I managed to pick that up rather quickly.  Then I stopped playing after about six months because grinding more components to make weapons and frames got really boring.  Farming Akkad though sure is a ton of excitement. /s

Both are MMOs, and they keep adding stuff to Warframe, and they're both F2P (I mean, PC Gamer just called it the best F2P PC game https://www.pcgamer.com/warframe-has-quietly-become-the-best-free-to-play-game-on-pc/ ).  Yeah, there's a lot of grinding (especially initially), but once you build up your resource reserves, it's not that big of an issue.  Most of the quests after Natah are actually interesting and mostly enjoyable, especially with the reveal of what the warframes really are and how you're able to control many of them.

That, and there's enough other game modes now that it's not just an Akkad snooze farm =P