LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
psalm8818

Vastin Takes a Dig at Dissatisfied Customers

Yeah, props to him that he admitted he fucked up. Still, him fucking up because he's a dev that doesn't actually know what the classes do and doesn't even seem to play the game, well that's just laziness. Either he oversold himself to his higher-ups about his competency, or he was thrown in at the deep end. Surely they have at least one person in the whole of Turbine 2.0 that knows the classes as well as players do, right?

Didn't many of the LOTRO programs from Turbine go to SSG ?  And my understanding was that anyone that new anything about the underpinnings of the LOTRO code at Turbine had long ago sailed to the west

13 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

He fucked up. 

When shown it - admitted publicly. 

Rare.

Anyone who calls him a moron - better have a look at yourself.

On the third hand..... https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?664842-22-2-2-broke-minstrel-Raise-Spirit-HoT

I think I'll just give up...

Listen, I understand he's only human, and that there's only so much one human can do.  The issue is that he thought it would be cute to jump in to the discourse, scold all the dissatisfied customers and assert that he knows better than them, and then shut down the discussion (see OP), yet now are all these examples that illustrate he clearly doesn't know better than the people who actually play the classes and the game, and that he's actually made a slew of unintentional changes.  "I apologize" isn't going to cut it, especially after that snarky, condescending jab.

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing AT ALL, and SSG had no business releasing an update in such a piss-poor state.  People on Bullroaror tried to tell him all this crap was broken, and they pleaded with him to fix them.  But he ignored them, just like he ignored the blue-line hunters who begged him not to balance the entire tree around pvmp.  Instead, like so many people today, he only listened to the praise, the ass-kissing, and the pats on the back from shills, most of whom were strict pvmpers who simply weren't skilled enough to counter blue hunters.

The german server stat page shows logins at an all-time low since the update.  Virtually everyone still playing had a blue hunter, either as a main or an alt.  Vastin's incompetence has affected the majority of remaining players, most of whom are sick and tired of having to completely regear, retrait, and relearn h2p with every shitty update.  He IS a moron, for not having listened to the feedback provided during testing, and for only listening to the folks who were saying what he wanted to "hear."  But as subs evaporate and revenue continues to fall, he's going to be told all of this from his bosses.  I only wonder if it was them that forced him to crap out such a horrible update in such an awful state?  But then again, that is exactly the same thing that's been said about almost every single update since Evendim….

4 hours ago, Woeg said:

Didn't many of the LOTRO programs from Turbine go to SSG ?  And my understanding was that anyone that new anything about the underpinnings of the LOTRO code at Turbine had long ago sailed to the west

SSG, like Turbine before it, is a developer's playground. There is no real project management going on, and it shows. They "develop" features right up until the release date, and drop whatever is done (or half-done) as a completed package. Severlin is the Executive Producer, and I assume that means one of his jobs is to act as a project manager. The PM typically determines the projects that should be included in a particular release, defines the scope of each project, and works with the development QA managers to determine the amount of time the project requires for completion and testing, as well as to determine which resources should be assigned to the project. None of that really seems to happen in the Turbine/SSG world. It seems like the developers are given a general direction and set loose to code on a whim.

In this type of environment, QA is a joke. There is simply no way QA can test and sign off on a feature when it is changing in fundamental ways 2 days before the release date. It shows when obvious bugs like the Lingering Wound or War-Chant issues were allowed to go live, not to mention the issue with some LM skills like Water-Lore not ticking the initial damage/heal or the missing cocoon in an intro quest.

I was in the closed beta for both RoI and RoR, and finally gave up trying to give feedback or test because they were literally changing the landscape and quest flow every few days, right up until the release dates.

14 hours ago, Talisman said:

SSG, like Turbine before it, is a developer's playground. There is no real project management going on, and it shows. They "develop" features right up until the release date, and drop whatever is done (or half-done) as a completed package. Severlin is the Executive Producer, and I assume that means one of his jobs is to act as a project manager. The PM typically determines the projects that should be included in a particular release, defines the scope of each project, and works with the development QA managers to determine the amount of time the project requires for completion and testing, as well as to determine which resources should be assigned to the project. None of that really seems to happen in the Turbine/SSG world. It seems like the developers are given a general direction and set loose to code on a whim.

In this type of environment, QA is a joke. There is simply no way QA can test and sign off on a feature when it is changing in fundamental ways 2 days before the release date. It shows when obvious bugs like the Lingering Wound or War-Chant issues were allowed to go live, not to mention the issue with some LM skills like Water-Lore not ticking the initial damage/heal or the missing cocoon in an intro quest.

I was in the closed beta for both RoI and RoR, and finally gave up trying to give feedback or test because they were literally changing the landscape and quest flow every few days, right up until the release dates.

That's my read too... they probably wouldn't know what a kanban board is if it bit them in the ass.