LOTROCommunity
Godomir

So now...what about pings?

~150 ms

In my opinion it's totally ok for a MMORPG. They improved some other things I doubt. ie. my shop opens up within millis now, before it took ~3 seconds the first time you open it up.

...my shop opens up within millis now, before it took ~3 seconds the first time you open it up.

Ha! No surprises there!!

my shop opens up within millis now, before it took ~3 seconds the first time you open it up.

Yeah I noticed that aswell.

But like Raedwulf said: no suprise there

In short: I am surprised about the quality of the servers thus far.

I think we'll notice the quality of the servers when something unexpected happens in the data centre. Boston is all nice and shiny, but Amsterdam (where the servers from Codies were) has the best peering in the world (to my knowledge). When the core routers fail there, their backup takes over within 10 minutes. Should that one fail, they've got another backup plan. I'm not sure if the Boston DC has as advanced equipment and planning.

Before: 50-60 ms

Now: 150ms (spike @ 220)

As a warden I can say, it really affects my play. In a DD-rota with more than one click per second for example (19 or 20 clicks in ~16 sec.), it is understandable. I had some trouble with queuing my next gambit-builder, yesterday.

Haven't noticed much difference, to be honest, even on my warden. Ping is about 100 higher than it used to be on CM servers, but there have been no ill effects so far. Bear in mind I don't raid, nor PvP.

I mean, the good thing is that we are talking about a constant latency of 150ms, the spike lasted only for about a minute.

Yet, the gameplay is recognizably slower than before, at least to me. The next gambit is already past, you know? It should work out fine if I slow down the overall pace, however, interrupts and other fast-paced play are suffering from the ping - the rest, only I suffer from. ;(

Before: 20-30

now: 100-110

Did both new instances with no noticeable difference to before the move. There was a massive lag spike across the whole server at one point though

Most people I see here get around 100-130ms (micro seconds).

Just nitpicking here but those are milli seconds. Micro seconds are μsec. The rest is right though, 130 ms = 0,13 sec.

Anyway, does anyone know their server address so I can do a few traces? I hate to start digging in their forum for that info. If someone has it handy it will spare me of some boring search.

Just nitpicking here but those are milli seconds. Micro seconds are μsec. The rest is right though, 130 ms = 0,13 sec.

Anyway, does anyone know their server address so I can do a few traces? I hate to start digging in their forum for that info. If someone has it handy it will spare me of some boring search.

you're absolutely right, my bad :)

@Bacho, I too am a warden, but I hardly feel/see/notice a difference. Maybe because I am used to queueing my skills? As said in earlier post, ofcourse for CJ's and interupts every bit counts, but hey... makes us again a bit a harder to play and thus interesting? ;-)

@Bacho, I too am a warden, but I hardly feel/see/notice a difference. Maybe because I am used to queueing my skills? As said in earlier post, ofcourse for CJ's and interupts every bit counts, but hey... makes us again a bit a harder to play and thus interesting? ;-)

it's more that I am used to queuing (I hate typing this word...), and especially that I am used to when I can click the next button just as fast as I can before I ruin the queue, you know? In the German sub-forum someone described the gameplay as somewhat gooey (I'm not sure whether it is the right word in this context, but I think you understand).

it's more that I am used to queuing (I hate typing this word...), and especially that I am used to when I can click the next button just as fast as I can before I ruin the queue, you know? In the German sub-forum someone described the gameplay as somewhat gooey (I'm not sure whether it is the right word in this context, but I think you understand).

Must admit, just 1 hour ago I played the Forsaken inn instance with 2 others and I did notice some 'glue' to my character. So am afraid you were right after all. We'll see how it goes in more hectic 6-12 man instances.

glue describes it nicely, tho I think we players have to think ahead a bit more now, like when healing and incoming damage.

As for lag, we did a few 3mans already and so far I haven't noticed any lag at all.

Before (post from 22.03.2011): http://archive.lotrocommunity.eu/technische-hilfe-1319/459226-latency-fixing-script-leatrix-3.html#post6977485

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Username>ping lotroeugls.com 

Ping wird ausgeführt für lotroeugls.com [94.75.194.7] mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 94.75.194.7: Bytes=32 Zeit=19ms TTL=121

Antwort von 94.75.194.7: Bytes=32 Zeit=14ms TTL=121

Ping-Statistik für 94.75.194.7:

Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 4, Verloren = 0

Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:

Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 19ms, Mittelwert = 15ms
Now:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Username>ping gls.lotro.com

Ping wird ausgeführt für gls.lotro.com [74.201.102.12] mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 74.201.102.12: Bytes=32 Zeit=108ms TTL=239

Antwort von 74.201.102.12: Bytes=32 Zeit=107ms TTL=239

Ping-Statistik für 74.201.102.12:

Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 4, Verloren = 0 (0% Verlust),

Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:

Minimum = 107ms, Maximum = 108ms, Mittelwert = 107ms

Don't know what mine was previously but it is now 123.

No noticeable difference in gameplay (for a solo champion).