LOTROCommunity
Godomir

So now...what about pings?

40 to 50 before, now 140 to 150 ms. Aside a few freeze 'n sprints I haven't noticed much difference. Packet loss seems to be 0.0 to 0.3 %.

I'm finding it alot more jumpy than it used to be. I've reduce my gfx settings to try and even it out.

Not been in a fellowship/raid yet so concerned to see how it is then!

"Jumpy" is a good way of describing it. I haven't been in a tough situation yet like FS/raid or even in a life-or-death solo situation. But just moving, opening doors, using items (like doors, harvesting resources) and using skills feels slightly laggy.

Sluggish. Like playing underwater. I'm finding it's messing up my skill rotations slightly as my timing is off, especially using the mouse.

Did a group instancefor the first time last night and wasn't too from where I was sitting (admittedly I was just pew-pewing). Latency has gone from 45ms to about 100ms but no packetloss. Tonight will be the acid test in a raid...

well ... before it was around 20ms with minor loss, now it's 150/180ms at the best of times with a constant loss of around 2-4%. sucks at the moment, big time.

anybody here, who knows which ports lotro uses? (maybe I can tweak the system by forwarding these ports.)

The several times I checked my ping has been in the 140-160 range. No idea what it was to EU servers, but obviously it was lower than that. No loss, thankfully.

Store speedup is an odd thing. The only explanation making sense would be, the traffic is routed through the LotRO server (for purposes of security). So in case of EU, it was the EU server contacting the store server across the pond, then forwarding it to your IE-in-a-box store interface. Now that the store is right next door, the call is just about instant, and the only thing taking time is transferring it to your client along with the rest of the client's traffic.

Before: 40 - 50ms

After: 180 - 220ms

Although I have been having some connection trouble in general the last few days (had no internet at all for 2 days :( ) so this may be skewing my results. Hopefully it'll improve once my connection is stable again.

This however isn't really the main problem, its the random server wide lag spikes that are causing problems. The game can be freezing for 5 - 10 seconds at a time, which is causing problems in groups.

I also have a kinnie, who is getting botted from the game whenever he has one of these huge lag spikes.

I hope these problems get sorted soon once the servers are more stable.

Before: 40 - 50ms

After: 180 - 220ms

Yoinks, that is a big jump. Ping of approx. 200 would be playable in my experience (for MMO anyway) but those freezes are indeed the killer. I briefly tried out my free account wee level 10 minstrel and game was mostly playable, but I had packet loss of 0 to 0.1% most of the time. When I last played I had packet loss of 0.3% and up, and the jumps and freezing were much more noticeable, even if game was still mostly playable.

I must again state my hope that this is only a phase due to the migration and that Turbine will address the issue. If I had just started playing and wouldn't know any better, I would say the game runs okay (some MMO's lag more for me). But after 4 or so years even this tiny bit of delay is an annoyance.

A bit of a silly question maybe. But how do you check the pings?

Options > UI Settings > Show Connection Status in Alerts Panel.

Hovering mouse over the icon shows you the ping and some other stats.

Been doing some gaming, some raiding and some PvP and pings are between 110 and 130. Not seen any spikes yet and gaming goes very smoothly all together.

No complaints so far.

Gameplay whilst raiding is really suffering from the increased delays/losses :( apart from that it's ok

I really have a very good connection so:

Before 2ms.

After 82ms.

No noticeable difference for me but it is a lot higher.

Dunno what it was before but get around 100ms with no packet loss. Am I right in thinking the no packet loss is just as key to no lag?

PJ :)

from 20ms to 120ms.

Solo gameplay and any non serious gameplay is fine. yes notice game feels sluggish but still playable. Raids are meh hate to see my dps now with damage meters but I feel it is reduced.. just don't seem to be able to knock things as dead as quickly (playing a hunter) nor target as sharp. Ettenmoors I'm not going to even bother with which is a shame as I actully quite enjoyed that. oh well

So not going to resub or spend any money on game now. I'll just play as a premium account in a non serious fashion while I wait for SWTOR.

Solo play yesterday and today. Especially this morning I experienced no problems what so ever. Could have been somewhat sluggish or jumpy, but in the heat of battle I really couldn't tell. Maybe it was just the lack of coffee. Still waiting to test serious big raid or fellowship action.

CM: 30-60ms

TB: 60-90ms

Connection type: Fibre channel

Fastpath: activated

At first, I can't help it, but I'm really pleased about the new servers, I don't tend to fanboyism though. Basically I don't mind who is hosting these, as long as everything works smoothly. And for me the Turbine servers do better in most circumstances. (Though the ping is slightly higher it feels more agile, reactive, 'better', especially in the Ettenmoors. Obviously ping is not everthing.)

Yesterday's Ost Dunhoth raid strengthened my first impressions. Everything worked out pretty well and we had no problems killing the first bosses in T2. Exactly the opposite of the case: No well-known lags, no life-lasting progress bars, just smooth gameplay.

So far, I'm not impressed. I notice the increase in latency, to the point where I log off after a single skirmish because I just don't want to play like this.

The worst thing for me so far are the European people who've always played on Turbine servers and attempt to berate people complaining. "It's always been good for me". Of course it bloody well is, you're not used to 25ms pings, you git. "It's your ISP". Yes, my ISP forces me to go through this damned transatlantic cable. I which they wouldn't and just.. oh wait.

Even if my gameplay hasn't been affected much, I am concerned about the pings. Once money starts talking (ergo, people stop p(l)aying), something will hopefully be done about the issue.

Well, it has always been good for me, MueR! :P

But I think it's mostly a case of getting used to it? I mean, Europeans who always played on the US servers can play the game fine overall.. you guys just aren't used to it yet. I would expect it's just a matter of time.

Perhaps Trinsec. But when does the "get used to it" argument become "suck it up, idiot"? As far as the store is concerned, it is already there. Moderation of the US forums: already there. A more grindy gameplay: already there (reputation solely by repeatable quests, OD armour sets, skirmishes). I am not okay with 150ms ping and random lagspikes. On my champion, I've died two times so far because the delay between me clicking a potion or panic skill and it's application is > 1 second.

I cannot accept the website and forums Turbine host. The codebase on them is poor, the hosting is ludicrous. The security, I can't even begin to describe it. Last week I found a leak in their site that allowed me to read everyone's private messages. They just checked if I was logged in, not if I was actually entitled to read that information. That, coupled with the random logons as someone other user, leaves me to conclude that Turbine knows about as much on web development as I did back in the Geocities era. In that time however, I did not build credit card storage systems.

I have no choice but to accept all of the above, as Turbine just forced it down my throat and then took a long pole to stuff it down even further.