LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Undo

Name change policy

For one it is nice how Turbine does take naming serious, especially for RP.

But when there's a forced rename due to naming regulations there's no more free rename token. It's not Turbine policy.

One either has to live with what the GM picked, pay for a rename, or re-roll the character. :?

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?398911-Help!-My-Character-s-Name-has-spontaneously-changed!

Which does seem rather harsh?

Harsh indeed, especially since we EUs have been used to a different policy. On the other hand, it may cause players to be more careful from scratch, and ease the work of the name-sherif a bit.

On the other hand, question is which names the Turbs DO accept.

/whisper: They did not rename yours to Redo, dit they? *ducks*

I agree it's harsh. I didn't even know they had changed the policy:

In Game Support Naming Violation Policy Update

04-04-2011

In an effort to provide a more immersive gameplay environment, we are happy to announce a change to the way that naming violations are handled.

In the past, when a name was found in violation, the player was offered their choice of a new name. If they were not online (or unable to think of one) then we gave them a “renamed” name. Alas, we found that playing with Renamedroc was not much more fun than playing with Sergeantrock.

With that in mind, effective April 4, 2011, we will be changing names that are found to be violations to a suitable fantasy name of the Game Master’s choice. The player that is found in violation of the policy will not have a choice of a new name.

We encourage that each player thoroughly review our Naming Policy prior to creating a character. Violations of the policy will result in a more suitable name being applied to the character and, if appropriate, action being taken against the player’s account.

You may certainly still appeal the name change by visiting support.turbine.com. You may also choose to purchase a new name if you are unhappy with the name that was provided to you.

*Note* Additional naming violations may result in further actions against your account.

http://support.turbine.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=24001t

When I was playing DAoC, I was forced to change my surname from Numbwit to something else. I had 3 days to decide or a GM would pick it for me. Luckily I found another name... Oncunnynge! -)

LOTRO used to have the same policy when it was released with SoA. They would give you 3 days to come up with a new name or it would be changed for you. Now it seems that if you get a bad GM, they will change it to whatever they want.

Welcome to the new "improved" (read: corporation-minded) Turbine. "We are the Wolves and you are the Sheep"

/whisper: They did not rename yours to Redo, dit they? *ducks*

Arrrr, opening old wounds! I tried getting an alt named Redo for years now... no luck. Still slapping myself for not thinking of reserving it in time. :(

On a more serious note... I'm not sure I could game on if my name was up for rename. True, it's a silly one, albeit born while playing around with the suggested syllables. But it's been 4 years. It is me. Not even getting to pick a replacement myself? *yikes* :$

Alas, we found that playing with Renamedroc was not much more fun than playing with Sergeantrock.

That hits the point pretty clearly, imho.

Arrrr, opening old wounds! I tried getting an alt named Redo for years now... no luck. Still slapping myself for not thinking of reserving it in time. :(

On a more serious note... I'm not sure I could game on if my name was up for rename. True, it's a silly one, albeit born while playing around with the suggested syllables. But it's been 4 years. It is me. Not even getting to pick a replacement myself? *yikes* :$

Ahhh you should not stop gaming in that worst case! After all, your toon is innocent and would miss your handling. You would not be able to delete him, would you? And as Tolkien used Odo, you should regard yourself protected anyway :)

What worries me is: what if someone just wants to harm with reporting his/her name. Would the Turbs investigate at all?

Apparently this policy onlycame into force just before the transfer: up until then it seems they had something similar to us. The original thread bringing this up has been deleted (shock, horror - and my first post to vanish off Turbine's forums heh), and this is a much watered down version.

Makes for worrying thinking if Turbine have either got so greedy or so desperate that they have to resort to enforcing name change purchases for GM-changed names.

As for the investigation policy, I'm not sure they have one. The first guy who's thread got deleted tried to explain his name on the forums (it was perfectly rational) but it remained changed anyway.

Codies GMs were no better. They were so inconsistent when it came to name-changes that they'd change perfectly acceptable names and keep ones that weren't.

My favourite ever name change was for a top notch warg on my server, Devilwarg. The GM's said he had to change it, his name being too religious or something, so he asked 'can I be called Angelwarg?' They agreed to that.

Logic of the GM's, eh?

Seems very harsh to just change a name and not at least give you a choice. Just imagine getting you level 65 characters name changed to something you dont like, now you either have to accept it or pay for a name change 7(8)7

There is someone that has had their name changed after 4 years

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?398622-GM-Turbine-changed-my-character-name-after-having-it-4-years.

So, to sum up Turbine's new policy..

In an effort to provide a more immersive gameplay environment, we are happy to announce a change to the way that naming violations are handled. We make money off of them if you disagree with the sub-par imagination of our GMs. Good for us

When I rolled a character on Landroval the other day I had a loremaster standing next to me named "Elitist". Upon reporting the name, I got the response that the name was perfectly fitting within the naming rules. Seriously?

So, to sum up Turbine's new policy..

When I rolled a character on Landroval the other day I had a loremaster standing next to me named "Elitist". Upon reporting the name, I got the response that the name was perfectly fitting within the naming rules. Seriously?

A bit harsh to report that name in the first place, if you ask me :/

And yet Roughalin they change... there's no consistency and that's a huge issue.

And yet Roughalin they change... there's no consistency and that's a huge issue.

Someone on the US thread posted this about Roughalin while trying to justify changing it

I think you're missing a step. The movie "The Hangover" (2009) introduced, or at least popularized "roofalin" as a slang term for "roofies". While roughalin and roofies are pretty dissimilar, roughalin and roofalin are definitely close enough.

So does this mean that a character name from say 2007 could be changed because a new film comes out and uses the name in the film title or uses it in the film in reference to drugs, if so then how on Middle Earth are you meant to find a name.

Look what happen to the kin on Snowborun, The Grey Company, they were made to change there name because Turbine wanted to add The Grey Company to the game. Where does this stop, would you have to rename you character just because Turbine added an NPC with the same name

The problem with their(and earlier with Codies) naming policy is not about rules themselves but incentive behind enforcement. It's all about player reports and reasoning behind those. Roughalin wasn't a bad name, but report came after that player visit to a PvMP. So someone prolly lost and reported him making up a reasoning behind. The problem is that policy is so wide(to protect company), that if smart enough You could always find a reason for virtually any name as policy breaking, either by literal meaning in some language or just mistype or missound!. That was a case in Rough-alin(Roofalin being some kind of slang drug name in some movie if I got it right).

While You could complain about Codies policy, at least You got a free rename not a "buy a new one for 995 TP". It's that part that makes it fishy, as gives GMs incentive to rename it despite being harmless. Because why not. And appealing to CS feels so kafkaesque, almost like reading automatic reply, that will always favor system.

Look what happen to the kin on Snowborun, The Grey Company, they were made to change there name because Turbine wanted to add The Grey Company to the game. Where does this stop, would you have to rename you character just because Turbine added an NPC with the same name

The funny thing for me is, that while the reason for the naming policy is to create names that fit into Tolkien's world and thus should add to immersion, the name change in itself is contra-immersive again. Think of a toon whose name gets reported by a player, some gamemaster agrees -> namechange. Next player reports this very new name again -> namechange. And while the poor toon runs around with his third name he meets someone in Bree who picked up his first name. Finally the game-makers think that the third name would be a nice name for a new NPC.

Also one of the names that got change, Santaclaws, is used on many servers and still exists on them. Surely if a GM is making a name change they should the check all server for that name and change them unless the name change is done on an RP server but the name would be ok else where

Presumably because Landroval is RP encouraged, or however it is they put it. I can't remember where the link is that I followed, but the way that I read what Turbine said about RP, the only place where the naming policy will be fully enforced will be the ex-CM RP servers.

As to the general point of no more free renames... The rules are there; they're not hidden. If you want / wanted to take a chance on ignoring or blatantly disobeying those rules, that's up to you. You could have made sure that you gave yourself a name that fit within the rules. Harsh? Perhaps. Unfair? No, not really. Having had one free chance to give yourself a 'proper name', why should you get a second?

I will agree, though, that there are borderline names, names that abide by the guidelines given, but still manage to inadvertantly break the actual rules somehow. If you are online at the time, it would make sense, and be far better customer service if the GMs were given the leeway to make a decision, talk to the player concerned, and agree a new name. But Santaclaws? Nah, sorry, someone was ignoring the rules & (lamely) trying to be funny. I don't see how his supposed new name of Chief is within the rules either...

Naming policies are a very tough nut to work out as one name I'd consider is fine and someone else may not. In my opinion a gm should still issue a free re-name token and not expect the name they are given as what your stuck with. At least it won't really affect us all much except if your on a to server it seems.

Does that mean that my Elf "Ensafety", Lore- Master would be allowed on Landroval? d;)b

or maybe "AtLeastI'aveMe" Elf....

:$ :$ I'll shut up now

The worrying thing here isn't really the policy of renaming where its innapropriate but that you have to pay to then pick your own name again. What if one month Turbine find they're a bit light on cash, I can just imagine the GM meetings now "right $200 bonus to the first GM to find 50 people to rename".