cossieuk

Here you go...

Another Monday 2fer! Captains and Lore-masters

Posted On: June 6th, 2011

Posted By:

Orion

View Profile

Posted in: Class Revision, Design Discussion

Raskolnikov gets credit for these change. I’ll be handling the role of messenger. Two more classes! Today’s offering, the Captain and the Lore-master.

Lore-master

Skill Consolidation

Warding Knowledge is collapsed into 1 skill and it now affects all Genus via the Ancient Master 4-set bonus.

Tend the Sick and Leechcraft are collapsed into a new skill Knolwedge of Cures

Knowledge of Cures removes 3 disease and 3 wound effects, can be used in combat. Cooldown is 10 seconds and it will have an increase to the power cost. It will not provide a buff to Resistances.

Level 62 upgrade will remove the induction and the trait Proof Against Ills makes the skill and AoE skill.

Sign of Battle: Wizardru and Sign of Battle: Wizard’s Fire are combined into 1 skill that is nearly identical to Wizard’s Fire. The skill cannot be resisted, although the DoT component’s individual ticks can be. § This is so reacting to ‘Flanked!’ cannot be resisted. The level 54 upgrade removes the cooldown. The trait Improved Sign of Battle now provides +25% damage to the skill.

Usability Changes

Back from the Brink has its range increased from 5 meters to 25 meters.

Blinding Flash is no longer restricted by Genus.

Ancient Wisdom is now a permanent toggle (without an upkeep cost.)

Post 66 skills:

Improved Sign of Power: Command - Becomes an AoE which can affect multiple targets.

Improved Staff-sweep - For each target hit, the Lore-master receives a stacking buff increasing critical hit chance of their next Fire skill by 33%. Upon scoring a crit strike with a Fire skill, the buffs are removed.

Friend to Aurochs - Summons an Aurochs as a pet.

Improved Sign of the Wild: Rage - Now also provides 10% Damage bonus,

Improved Burning Embers - The DoT portion of the skill can now stack multiple times.

Captain

Usability Changes

Time of Need - Cooldown reduced from 20 minutes to 5 minutes

Shield of the Dúnedain - Changed to a Fast skill and the cooldown is reduced from 10 minutes to 5 minutes.

War-cry - Now provided -15% Attack Duration from the start

In Defence of Middle-earth - Stats now increase with your level.

Herald of War - Stats now increase with level.

Heals - Heals that Crit will now heal for more than just the base value.

Trait Line Changes

Leader of Men

Improved Kick - Moves from 3-set bonus to the -set bonus

3-set bonus now provides -10 second cooldown to Threatening Shout

Adherent of Elendil - moved to the Lead the Charge line

New Trait! Echoin Shout - allows Threatening Shout to affect up to 3 targets

Captain of War becomes Alert Guard which provides the skill Defensive Strike a bonus to Parry

Hands of Healing

Relentless Optimism - Increases the bonus provided from 10% to 50%

Lead the Charge

Focused Strikes - this is replaced by the trait Adherent of Elendil

Post 66 skills

Improved Sure Strike - On a successful hit, reduces the active cooldown of Battle-shout by 2 seconds.

Improved Grave Wound - When striking a target affected by Cutting Attack, leaves the Cutting Attack DoT on the target and adds a second DoT.

Song-brother - Functions like Shield-brother, except the skills Inspire, Strength of Will and To Arms function differently. Inspire: Melee Attack plus a power-over-time heal. Strength of Will: -10% Reduced Power Cost for Healing. To Arms: +25% Outgoing Healing for 10 seconds.

Improved Cutting Attack - Target receives a -25% Movement Speed debuff for 20 seconds.

Blade-brother - Functions like Shield-brother, except the skills Inspire, Strength of Will and To Arms function differently. Inspire: Melee Attack plus a power-over-time heal. Strength of Will: -10% Reduced Threat from Damage. To Arms: +25% Damage for 10 seconds.

§ Note: The Shield-brother version of “To Arms” has been changed to -15% Incoming Damage for 10s.

Feel free to post feedback here and on your forums.

Got to agree that the cappy changes look good. Now please, prety please, fix our heralds and archer so we have a reason to leave the banners home, (or better yet fix our herealds and Archer and remove banners).

Overall they seem to be setting up LoM as a tanking line, which is nice, but honestly if they're going to do that they should move the LTC shadows lament capstone effect over, (TBH IMHO it should be the defualt minus the damage buff but whatever).

They also seem to be slightly de-emphesising the whole buffing side of LoM whilst upgrading other captains buffing a fair bit too.

The new borthers stuff is good, Song brother for your healer, Blade Brother for the DPS, and Sheild Brother for the tank. Should really make champs think twice for sitting round in Feverour all the time, and the power over time for the DPS side of things will be welcomed by DPS mini's.

Really fix herealds and Archers and cappys will be sorted IMHO.

Captain changes are solid for sure, albeit a bit underwhelming compared to what minstrels got.

I feel we lack solo dps and we had enough tools for offtanking mobs easily with tools we had, so whole boost to tanking is really pointless for me.

New song, shield, blade brother buffs are quite nice, but I'm disappointed that devs didn't clarify if You can use only one or all three simultaneous and overall lack of any blue posts.

Other changes are minor tweaks and long needed fixes(like slow or IDoME scaling).

I should think it oretty dammed obvious you can't use all 3 at once given how powerful that would be.

Likewise most of the tanking related stuff seems focused on raising our tanking game so it sits on par with our HoH healing game. Captains are currently the only class with only one real main role to speak off.

As for soloing, fix herealds and archers and 90% of that will take care of itself i'm sure. Yes i'd have liked to see Light of Elendill set to a 100% proc chance to up our DPS slightly, and maybe let us get say 50% of the healing of insire for ourselves, (with the option to use it without a sheild brother). But fixing herealds and Archers takes priority IMHO.

I should think it oretty dammed obvious you can't use all 3 at once given how powerful that would be.

Likewise most of the tanking related stuff seems focused on raising our tanking game so it sits on par with our HoH healing game. Captains are currently the only class with only one real main role to speak off.

As for soloing, fix herealds and archers and 90% of that will take care of itself i'm sure. Yes i'd have liked to see Light of Elendill set to a 100% proc chance to up our DPS slightly, and maybe let us get say 50% of the healing of insire for ourselves, (with the option to use it without a sheild brother). But fixing herealds and Archers takes priority IMHO.

I have not used a herald or archer for over a year, have got used to just Banner and the self heal from muster courage, a better mechanic or mechanics for self healing would be great then I might untrait it and try an archer / herald again could even try the potions then too.

I think self healing is a current albeit small weakness especially solo so anything that boosts that or gives more options for, get my support

Ironically I am playing around with dropping traiting muster courage anyway but wanted to see the extent of the new changes first.

ReD

KOFACME

Was just thing that they could redo heralds altogether and change how the work. You could have the archer for DPS, one that works a bit like the herbalist but not as strong for self heals, and one that buffs your stats. As well as the main role of each herald, they could also give buffs to ICMR and ICPR with these buffs being group wide

Powerful enough to make captain best buffer with no doubts as that's our main role. With Isen minstrels will get nice buffing boost and yet they're wayyyy ahead of captain in healing terms. Should also work other way around. I think You're overestimating captain. While it is very useful class in 6/12 man groups, he doesn't bring anything You absolutely need to succeed.

If You can upkeep only one buff at a time, this only adds more variety and is very slight buff to our main role. Given no changes to improve captain dps in his dps(LtC) line I'd expect something really nice for buffing/healing.

Captain main role is buffing or in more broad term support. Secondary would be healing with no doubts. Tanking while a part of captain class was never real role, merely offtanking tool. This update won't change that as I doubt buff will be enough to keep mobs vs any dps class doing AoE. Not to mention LOTRO has enough tanks(guardian, warden and RoI champ) that are much better than captains. Last time I remember being real main tank something out of choice was shortly after MoM when noble mark was bugged. Thus a pointless(but obviously not useless) change from my point of view.

Can You emphasize more about fixing heralds? Cause atm apart from traited archer which is good solo companion, heralds are next to useless when compared with banner. They do common and pitiful damage, costing Your own dps due to no banner, costing Your own morale due to no banner, their only useful skill is heal but at the same time You lose muster courage self heal so it's not a gain. Not to mention they can more than easily die and require micromanaging.

Archer comes wait too late in game to be real use for leveling and still don't offer meaningful boost over war banner, but it has it's uses. Should definitely come at lvl 20 or 30 and do same damage type as Your weapon.