LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Silirien

Half A Year (Minimum) To Complete A Deed?

I've seen many people on both EU and US servers complaining about the number of medalions required for Ost Dunhoth sets, but I haven't seen any comments about the deed that requires you to kill Ivar's champions in all 24 combinations.

24 kills equals 24 weeks of succesfull Lock 5 raiding provided that you kill them in different order each time.

Because of the nature of the fight, many of the combinations will be avoided on both Tier I and II by majority of the players which means that few, if any, will have this deed (and subsequently meta deed for OD) completed before Isengard.

This is the first deed with mechanics like that, and longest to obtain ever. You can't speed it up because each part completes on a separate fight and because locks reset once a week. Some parts of the deed will be almost imposible to complete for majority of raiders because of how effects will tier up.

I can't help but think Turbine is either having hard time with realising implications of their design (for example, how relic combinations worked originally and Dev's replying that "id doesn't really require that many relics to get max tiers, I've tested it" when in fact it required thousands of TI relics, odds of getting decent/desired LI combinations, 4th Grindversary event, etc etc) or they intentionally opt for grind that would perfectly suit most renowned korean grinders...

I, for one, decided to play "western" game to avoid this kind of grind.

While the raid itself with it's mechanics (and removal of radiance) is a step in the right direction, associated rewards are sub-par and pretty much out of reach of casual players, especially alters.

I must say that such mechanics indeed deprive any fun from the game.

I have decided long ago to avoid playing in such a manner and I prefer to leisurely explore the game and have as much fun as possible.

Truth is that I am not a great MMO player as this was my first game of this kind and as it looks like the only one which make sense for me due to a 'tight' story.

So I may not be a good example but I must say I fully understand why you chosen to play that way.

I agree that getting the new sets is a grind fest. Regarding the deed, I think it's something nice to work for when everyone in your kin gets the pieces, weapons, etc.

The truth is that Grinds are lazy and more importantly cheap game design.

Minimum effort from designers and developers, maximum time return from players.

Which combined with the new Lord Of The Stores "pay to win" approach means more money.

All The Best

• Upvote 1

The truth is that Grinds are lazy and more importantly cheap game design.

Minimum effort from designers and developers, maximum time return from players.

Which combined with the new Lord Of The Stores "pay to win" approach means more money.

All The Best

Indeed, it may not be the case with this particular deed but you can guarantee that some of the grinds are made artificially high to encourage people to use the store when the reward eventually appears there. I'm sure that dispite being told it wont happen, the anniversary rewards will appear in the store at some point in the future.

This is my main problem with the store I think, it encourages the game designers to always think "how can we make more money out of this new system\raid\instance?"

The new relic system, new character panel, new legendary item system could all have been much better done if they didn't also try to use them to squeeze a bit more cash out of us.

Indeed, it may not be the case with this particular deed but you can guarantee that some of the grinds are made artificially high to encourage people to use the store when the reward eventually appears there. I'm sure that dispite being told it wont happen, the anniversary rewards will appear in the store at some point in the future.

This is my main problem with the store I think, it encourages the game designers to always think "how can we make more money out of this new system\raid\instance?"

The new relic system, new character panel, new legendary item system could all have been much better done if they didn't also try to use them to squeeze a bit more cash out of us.

Indeed. So far every item from the festivals appears at the store a few days after the festival ends; that includes horses, outfits, consumablles, etc. I have no doubt that this anniversary items will make an appearance at the store as well.

I must say that I find the rewards in the raid not really that good. First Ages are ofcourse the thing we long for the most, but rewards in the instances are better than what I have seen from the raid so far. Just picked up the shoulders, but it is really a trade-off in the armor sets. Don't think I will ever go for the full set as a Cappy.

At first I wanted to get the set for my LM, as it's a really nice set, but once I saw what is needed I decided not to. Am not the person to really raid, but would have done it, to be honest. But the amount needed is just way too much for me. So I won't bother with it at all.

At first I wanted to get the set for my LM, as it's a really nice set, but once I saw what is needed I decided not to. Am not the person to really raid, but would have done it, to be honest. But the amount needed is just way too much for me. So I won't bother with it at all.

have to agree, you would have to do each ini once a day for who knows how long. I think it's just the devs way of trying to keep players busy so they won't notice bugs, server lags, changes to the game...

have to agree, you would have to do each ini once a day for who knows how long. I think it's just the devs way of trying to keep players busy so they won't notice bugs, server lags, changes to the game...

I think turbine did this to keep us busy until Isengard comes out, and I suspect they knew they were not delivering the next raid at the anniversary as promised.

Altough I do understand that line of tough, I think it's a big fail. How many people do they have working on lotro? Perhaps it's time to hire some more people.

As a casual PvE'r there is no way I would be able to complete the deed or acquire all the gear, I thought the removal of radiance was introduced to allow PuG's and casual raiders to acquire the gear? But clearly, this isnt the case with the enormous grind they implemented.

As for Turbines work effort and performance I am pretty sure some amateur programmers could out perform them, although the world design is top notch but unfortunately thats all there is good about Turbine.

I find the grind for Galladhrim gold stars bad enough, certainly won't be bothering with this. Even without the locks it would be a pain but those locks just make it too long winded. For me the locks and the plethora of invisible walls are making the game more frustrating than fun...

@ the pic: lol!

well, surely they wanted us to be busy and all. I rather go and roll another toon before I sink my teeth into this grindfeast. World is busy enough, but doing a fulltime job ingame is not everyone's idea about 'fun'.

When I look at STO and the load of content they publish with their little group of people at Cryptic... it can be done. At least DStahl and the devs are busy at the forum, comunicate there with the playerbase and also allow them to post critics etc. And sometimes it also happens that a dev posts he finds the ideas good and hasn't thought of it yet.

It can work the other way around too and very well, if they choose to.

That's something I really don't understand when it comes to MMO Devs.

I think it is safe to say 95% of the community has alts, most of that number has high-level alts they'd like to play the end-game with. Why blocking the end-game for these toons?

If alting was made more friendly, people would keep themselves busy for months without the need to introduce obstacles like this.

With the removal of Radiance they *did* make lotro more alt-friendly. And they idea that you could complete all deeds was smashed long, long, ago... Take a look at the Ettens deeds ;)

Have you ever heared of Deed-Completionists? Welcome! :D

This.Yes it's a kind of fixation but some people aim at having multiple characters at high level, others - like me - have one character and aim to clear their deed-logs.

I'd love the new set of armour for my Minstrel, but the only grinding I can tolerate without falling asleep and/or going insane is the reputation grind. At this point in time I have 95 medallions, but you need around 300 for one piece of armour. No thanks! :r

I haven't seen any comments about the deed that requires you to kill Ivar's champions in all 24 combinations.

That's because LOTRO has normal deeds, obsessive deeds and utterly barmy, bouncing-off-the-walls deeds that nobody will even think of completing. This is one of them.

The reason no one has complained about the deed is because it's an optional extra.

Deeds such as that are all about E-peen boasting they don't actually add any benefits to your character.

Hence why people complain about medallions, it doesn't make much - if any sense, to have a grind which takes 6-8 weeks of t2 HM raid clearances, and each end game instance twice a week.

While some would argue that current grinds exist in the same, if not worse capacity, the difference is those grinds have been 'hidden' in that, you do them, but you don't really notice it.

The medallion grind is so blatantly obvious that it's just one big massive time sink, that people resent it, not the actual amount required, but it's resented on the pure basis it wasn't added as a means to get the armour, but a means to stop people running out of content.

And some poor sods suffer from both the alt- and deed-thingy

Oh yes. OH YES! I wouldn't mind, but I'm not even her Darling Beloved. It's still only a matter of time before I get "We have to kill them in this sequence this week!" In truth, I don't I don't think this deed is such a bad thing, because the fight is very fluid, according to which sequence you take them in. It changes significantly, even ignoring Tier 2.

Is that bad? Well, I'm an extreme multi-alter (all 9 classes at L65), though I wouldn't claim that all ready to raid, even without radiance. So the chances of me completing this even once are small, but... I'm a Raid Leader, a Kin Leader, an Alliance Leader. I'm going to get this in the neck from people that want to do it, but... It's a challenge. It doesn't matter to me whether I do it all on one alt, but I do like a challenge. So ultimately, I suspect that both Sil & I will get our challenges done. Her's will be accompanied by an in-game title, mine won't. But we'll have both done what we wanted to, and isn't that what an MMO sets out to do? Cater to all tastes?