LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Livyeth

Touché, Turbine!

...for making the pre-order Rise of Isengard not purchasable using the LOTRO store and its points.

That way, people either will have to wait to get it when it is released. Then they will forfeit the cosmetic items. Or they get it now, but won't be able to use their accumulated points, thusly handing more money over to Turbine.

If I was a bean counter with maybe a bit of a lack of customer appreciation, I would do the same, I guess.

Why should they not do it the way they did? Those who don't want to spent real money just have to wait till release.

And possibly, at some point, buy the cosmetics from the Store(because it's foolish to think every single piece of the outfits won't end up in there at some point).

Either way, it might end up being more costly getting expansion, cosmetics and mounts through the store than to fork out on the pre-order.(Actually, scratch that, it will end up being more costly)

As a Founder who isn't concerned with the cosmetics and mounts, I'll wait and let Turbine's free points buy me the ROI expansion. I've been allowing them to pay me for playing for over two years; I see no reason to stop that now.

As for the other players who didn't initially invest in the game as I had, I do have sympathy for those free-to-players and VIP who have already banked/purchased points in advance and would have liked to have had the option to get the promotional items but won't until later (if at all).

I bought it (the legendary version) and quite frankly it's not a bad price even for someone who is tight on money. just use dollars instead of euro currency and I think you'll find it cheaper for you as well! :)

I didn't say they shouldn't do this. I'm actually quite accustomed to this, I've played Team Fortress 2 for a long time.

You don't need it, but may wish to do so. It's a good method to squeeze some more money out of customers that have already stacked up quite some points for the store. And in that it seems to be a good one, looking at the forums.

it's a product *shrug* to be honest I'd rather save my points for the relic removal stuff if I need it

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-lord-of-the-rings-onlines-rise-of-isengard-expansion-will-eventually-be-sold-from-in-game-cash-shop/

The digital-only expansion will only be available for pre-order on Turbine’s official website – not in-game. Turbine only wants to sell things in the cash shop after they are available in the game, so that there’s no confusion of, “Hey, I just paid for this, why don’t I have it?” in the cash shop. To that end, the Rise of Isengard expansion, set to release September 27, will be availabe in the cash-shop after that date, but will be unavailable for any pre-order bonuses.

I don't usually buy points as I'm a lifetime member who accumulates points overtime, so I'm not too bothered about buying one expansion a year. By withholding RoI from the store it's forcing a lot of players like myself to actually buy it which I think is the right thing to do, otherwise we'd be getting it basically for free.

I do sympathise with players who bought points in advance hoping to use them towards RoI, hopefully it will get added to the store before launch so those players can take advantage of the pre-orders. Though I suspect if this happens it won't be until much closer to launch when they've got as many cash pre-orders as possible.

The problem now is the lack of payment methods. Some people do not have the proper typeof credit card and the only other option is Pay by Cash which does not support European countries. How on Earth Turbine wants people to pay for subscriptions or expansions if there are only 2 payment options that arfe limited to certain people only?

When I initially purchased my Lifetime Sub I knew I would have to pay cash for all expansions, and have been prepared to do that ever since.

With the 500TP / month I now have the opportunity of waiting and getting the expansion for free, so I see it that I have been given more choice than I initially had... which is nice. d;)b

I decided, on this occasion, however to pay for the expansion and get the fluff now... I can't see a problem with this situation at all to be honest

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-lord-of-the-rings-onlines-rise-of-isengard-expansion-will-eventually-be-sold-from-in-game-cash-shop/

That seems like a pretty lame excuse to me. How are people going to be more confused if they use TP than they are if they use cash? Sounds good, I guess, if you don't think about it too hard. But, I don't for one second believe that is the real reason. People know what pre-order means in either case.

I understand that Turbine may prefer to actually sell expansions rather than give them away for TP under the F2P model they have adopted. That makes perfect sense. And, the less people are hoarding TP to pay for the expansion, the better all around. But, making up silly excuses is, well, just plain dumb.

IMHO

I paid all the previous extensions with cash up to now, but these offers are really poor for a lifer. There's nothing there for me, no need for xp bonus on my 65s, no need for horses (got plenty and coolers), no need to be a copycat, no need for quest packs...

If Turbine does nothing to get my money, they certainly won't get it.

You (Maelendil) are a perfect candidate then for just buying the final version for ingame points once it's released.

There is nothing wrong with that, everyone can chose what he wants.

not even for the basic edition? well ... then there's nothing they can do ... and if you have the time, to wait til it's released to the store (if they're in any way clever, they will wait with that for a while after the initial release), everything's fine.

;)

I paid all the previous extensions with cash up to now, but these offers are really poor for a lifer. There's nothing there for me, no need for xp bonus on my 65s, no need for horses (got plenty and coolers), no need to be a copycat, no need for quest packs...

If Turbine does nothing to get my money, they certainly won't get it.

You should be happy then, they are providing you with a way to get it absolutely free (assuming you have been saving your 500TPs every month) and if you don't want any of the fluff then there is absoltely no reason why you would need to pre-order it :*)

They have never before offered an option to get expansions for "free" to lifers.

if they're in any way clever, they will wait with that for a while after the initial release

What Cossie quoted hints at that somewhat, doesn't it?

"Rise of Isengard expansion, set to release September 27, will be availabe in the cash-shop after that date"

That could mean anything from release on the same day or some time after that, trying to coerce players who held out to pay real cash after all. My pre-order of MoM didn't arrive, and after watching my friends explore the mines for a few days I went out and just got an extra standard version in a store. You don't wanna be left behind for a week. }:|

Turbine may make some extra money if they keep TPointers waiting. But they won't make any friends with such a move. So lets it will be the 27th for all.

What Cossie quoted hints at that somewhat, doesn't it?

"Rise of Isengard expansion, set to release September 27, will be availabe in the cash-shop after that date"

That could mean anything from release on the same day or some time after that, trying to coerce players who held out to pay real cash after all. My pre-order of MoM didn't arrive, and after watching my friends explore the mines for a few days I went out and just got an extra standard version in a store. You don't wanna be left behind for a week. }:|

Turbine may make some extra money if they keep TPointers waiting. But they won't make any friends with such a move. So lets it will be the 27th for all.

Only, the pre-order runs until September 26th. Also, "after that date" can also mean it includes that date.

No, I think the expansion itself and some of the pre-order bonuses will be available for purchase in the store on the 27th.

Knowing Turbine nasty practices it well might get to store like week after launch, as they prefer money from everyone rather than spending saved up TP. They'll just say that store will need an update and You'll have to wait. A bit like with last update where premiums had to wait few days to get new instances/skirmishes.

But they won't make any friends with such a move. So lets it will be the 27th for all.

Turbine started to give a shit about 'friends' the moment they decided to make non-fluff-stuff store-only (relicts). The only thing that counts for WB/Turbine is, how much $$$ they can make with the game.

Turbine started to give a shit about 'friends' the moment they decided to make non-fluff-stuff store-only (relicts). The only thing that counts for WB/Turbine is, how much $$$ they can make with the game.

Ofc this is true but it started much earlier. It started with the move to F2P not with relics beeing introduced to the store. I always tried to show that this company is oriented ONLY on money making with complete disregard to the needs of the customers. People never wanted to listen, hopefyllu their eyes will start to open.

...and of course that's the way it is and always will be. The only question is how Turbine choose to balance their short(e.g. store and pre-orders) and long term (e.g. subscriber base) revenue options and what makes most sense from a life cycle perspective :) If paying customers don't vote with their feet then of course Turbine will continue to crank up store revenues. "Look, a 1st age LI lvl 75 for only 2,995 TP! We just launch it as a convenient option to save you some time" :)

Ok, it started earlier. But in the beginning, they "promised" (convenience not advantage) that nothing will change for us subscribers, that we won't need the shop for anything but "time saving".

They broke the promise with the introduction of shop-only potions (maybe to "test" how the community's reaction will be), continued with disabling relict removal inGame but through scrolls. But those where only tiny steps, nothing what really bothered me.

But with store-only-relicts and the denial of their "convenience not advantage"-message it has really begun...