LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Livyeth

Touché, Turbine!

Don't forget the not-really-grindable stat tomes...

Yeah, it really seems to be their strategy to have the players slowly accustom to it, like the frog sitting in the bowl of water: If you heat it quickly, the frog will jump out. But if you only heat it slowly...

...and of course that's the way it is and always will be. The only question is how Turbine choose to balance their short(e.g. store and pre-orders) and long term (e.g. subscriber base) revenue options and what makes most sense from a life cycle perspective :)

I agree. Turbine/Warner want to make money. They probably enjoy the job they're doing (too much crunch time not to ;)), but they want and need to make as much money as possible with it. Albeit the way how to achieve it has to be balanced. They can't just give everything away. But neither can they aggravate the playerbase beyond limits.

Delaying release for one group could be such a move.

Lets hope they got smart enough decision makers to do it... err... rightish.

Ok, it started earlier. But in the beginning, they "promised" (convenience not advantage) that nothing will change for us subscribers, that we won't need the shop for anything but "time saving".

They broke the promise with the introduction of shop-only potions (maybe to "test" how the community's reaction will be), continued with disabling relict removal inGame but through scrolls. But those where only tiny steps, nothing what really bothered me.

That's a bit unfair (and I'm not known for speaking up in defence of Titbind (sic)). They made a business decision at the time and they told us what they envisaged at the time. If they'd refused to say anything, people would have been moaning about that; a no-win situation for them. They've since made a different business decision. The whys & wherefores of that we can all be highly cynical about, sure, but businesses that don't re-evaluate past decisions often end up in trouble.

The real question here would be did they tell us something they knew they weren't going to hold too (a false promise), or did they themselves believe that they would be able to abide by their statement when they made it? If it's the latter, I wouldn't beat them up over it. We'll never know what caused them to change their minds. At the end of the day, all you can do is vote with your feet, if you don't like a company's product, or the way it conducts its business.

The real question here would be did they tell us something they knew they weren't going to hold too (a false promise), or did they themselves believe that they would be able to abide by their statement when they made it? If it's the latter, I wouldn't beat them up over it. We'll never know what caused them to change their minds. At the end of the day, all you can do is vote with your feet, if you don't like a company's product, or the way it conducts its business.

Probably someone who survived the move to F2P in DDO should speak here but from what i remember reading, in DDO there were "pay to win" items in the store before F2P was announced in LOTRO?

If it is the case then for me it was abvious the same would happen in LOTRO and everyone who believed it's gonna be otherwise was a bit naive in my opinion.

But that doesnt change the fact that they said, only convinience items will be in the store and later they changed their mind. Everything that happened after they changed their mind tells me that from the begining they planned to place "pay to win" items in the store ( why else would they remove every single mention of only convinience items in the store from their forums and websites and other sources?). This is simply lies given out to the customers. Nothing else but planned lies.

To me it is clear that this was all staged to not make the community explode with anger. Things were added systematically and slowly people got used to them. From this point there is no return.

I also was saying from the begining on CM boards that with Isengard, gear or parts of gear or some means to get the gear will be available in store. People were saying that it will not happen...but will they tell me the same now? All signs on earth tells me that "pay to win" will soon be the main model of this once great game.

They've since made a different business decision. The whys & wherefores of that we can all be highly cynical about, sure, but businesses that don't re-evaluate past decisions often end up in trouble.

Hmm, that's a good point.

Battlefield Heroes is a perfect example of that. They started out with only fluff being in the shop plus some ways to boost XP gain. Whereas now you pretty much have to get certain weapons and potions to play. Well you can play without them... if you're really good or don't mind dying a lot.

I suppose they had the choice of changing the business plan or shutting off the servers.

To me it is clear that this was all staged to not make the community explode with anger. Things were added systematically and slowly people got used to them. From this point there is no return.

In our case I see no rescue but leaving the game, or at least never ever spend anymore real money for TPs. I can only hope, that noone will buy TPs anymore. But I doubt it :(

In our case I see no rescue but leaving the game, or at least never ever spend anymore real money for TPs. I can only hope, that noone will buy TPs anymore. But I doubt it :(

I barely play the game anyway.

After playing in the two new instances i'm surely not closer to play more but i'm even further away from the game.

In the Halls of Night when i was walking on this asteroid i was wondering if i'm playing EVE online maybe?

Inn of the Forsaken is Indiana Jones combined with Goonies. 0 lore in both of those instances and all of them can be done on T2 on first try without ever reading anything about the instances.

Explorable Orthanc in next expansion, another Dragon (or is it something else) while there are none dragons alive after Smaug etc.

Turbine is aiming at $$ nothing more like they did since F2P.

Oh, I don't know. Bad publicity makes for considerable pressure on a company, if enough of it congeals together. ;)

I'm wondering if the price of the expansion ingame is already known because you might be better off buying the expansion now then having to buy TP to buy it ingame as that might be more expensive.

Sodt is right when he says that we were aware of the fact we'd have to buy the expansion when we entered a lifetime subscription. The option to buy it ingame with TP is an added bonus but I do like the fluff and it might be handy to buy one for my girlfriend who is F2P and refuses to pay for online games so I have been grinding for TP on her account but if I buy the expansion it gives some quest packs that she doesn't have yet and I might get away with her not wanting me to spend any money for her on TP :P

I only have to ask what colour horse she wants now or maybe get legendary for her :)

I only have to ask what colour horse she wants now or maybe get legendary for her :)

Since she is F2P und you only get all the regions with legendary, it is the only option for her.

Since she is F2P und you only get all the regions with legendary, it is the only option for her.

I came to that conclusion today also and as I know her login I can just get the code apply it and get one of the pre-orders for myself too.

Getting the expansion for free, even if I have to wait for a couple of weeks, is so sweet!

I have absolutely no inclination to give even 1 cent to Turbine any more. My money is better saved to be spent on GW2 and SWTOR.

• Upvote 1

Well I can't blame Turbine. Like alot of other people I have been saving TP to buy RoI and was a bit annoyed I could only use $$$ to pay for the pre-order. On the other hand $50,- once a year is not that much to spend on daily entertainment. Not even if you have 3 accounts.

Only fools believe Turbine can keep the servers running and content coming without people buying stuff. Be it on a subscription, TP or a yearly expansion... So yes, they got my money and I hope they spend it well!