LOTROCommunity

Installing from CM disks?

If it possible to install LOTRO on my computer using the disk I got from CM when it was released etc, I have the Original SoA and MoM disks, then after installing would I be able to just update it to the Turbine launcher? Its much quicker than and much safer than downloading vio their link.

You can still use the CM disks if you like (edit: errr... at least I'm quite certain. You should know soon enough if, after installation, the patcher can't find the correct Turbine address). I know of one, who still uses his beta client to install and patch up. You can just use the MoM disks, it came with a full installer and is a bit newer. No need for running SoA first.

I don't know how fast Turbines installer is. With CM it was advised to just download the most current full installer, as that usually was the quickest way.

If it possible to install LOTRO on my computer using the disk I got from CM when it was released etc, I have the Original SoA and MoM disks, then after installing would I be able to just update it to the Turbine launcher? Its much quicker than and much safer than downloading vio their link.

yes, you can.

Don't do it.

Even if the patcher switches to the correct version, there are a few issues with using the old CM disks which I would be very surprised if Turbine fixed them.

For one thing, it is possible that the shop will not work because the browser will not be installed or patched.

More important though, it is possible that the Moria content will not patch correctly and leave your characters stranded when you enter Moria.

Just download the most recent version and at least you can expect to have a working game. It may even be faster than patching from disk installation and the database should not be fragmented.

It is also possible to take over a complete Lotro Client from another computer (via external HDD a.s.o.) without install from any media or via download. Just did it on this way to safe time on a WIN7 64bit system.

More important though, it is possible that the Moria content will not patch correctly and leave your characters stranded when you enter Moria.

Just download the most recent version and at least you can expect to have a working game. It may even be faster than patching from disk installation and the database should not be fragmented.

This happened to me, my game froze every time I tried to enter Moria, only solution was to D/L the latest client.

I would strongly reccomend this as it saves time and frustration overall.