LOTROCommunity
Theird

What to do other than join a kin.....

Hi

Like a lot of players, I just don't have the time to join a kinship and so I find myself at the mercy of strangers to help with quest completion :) I've been stuck trying to finish Tomb of Elendil since Febuary and its getting really frustrating!!!!! I just needed to share that. Thanks for reading.

If you're on Eldar, just tell Tomsil or Anantomuil some time, if I'm on, i'd be happy to help.

Otherwise, try to use the lff channel or one of the user channels globallff or glff to ask for companions.

You can add the user channels by typing /joinchannel globallff or /joinchannel glff in the gamechat window.

Only takes 2 seconds to join a kin really ;) But if that's too long, what you can do is build up a friends list of people you've grouped with who were nice and helpful, group with them on a more regular basis and hey presto, you have your very own non-kin.

Look for a kin that suits your needs. That is, if you don't have time, I assume that you mean you don't get to play that often? Look for a kin then that's not focused on things like raiding but instead more on other stuff like questing, for example.

Edit: Well, apart from what the others suggested. I just think that there might also be a suiting kinship for you out there on top of the problem you have with finishing group quests. ;)

Just join a kinship. In your situation, look for a large kin preferably. Explain your limited playtime to them, say you're really just looking for some additional social elements and that you hope to complete group quests. I can't imagine many kins who would refuse you access. Only the hardcore raiding guilds require a lot of online time.

As MueR says. Far from not having time to join, a kin would be ideal for you, so long as you find one that's happy to have casual players like yourself. Just remember that a kin isn't a place to leech from. Casual or otherwise, if you're seen as someone who always wants help but never helps others, you won't be popular.

Hi all,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply :) This is all good advice and I guess I could spare LOTRO a bit more time...... My toon is on Eldar (which seems quieter these days). I'll have a look around and keep my ears peeled for more casual kin recruitment. Raedwulf makes a good point re leeching and thats what I would want to avoid at all costs. Just gets really frustrating not being able to advance the core quests due to not having a scalable quest option. So... to the fields!

Cheers all.

On the other hand, networking has a value that can rival "kinning". One thing that I've noticed is that there are individuals who make a considerable name for themselves as being reliable, knowledgable and optimistic. Those are the ones who I find don't have a problem in connecting with other kinships, especially when it comes to raiding, and they are often called in as fillers where a gap may occur in a fellowship or raid group. So, if you're going to take the time to build a good reputation for yourself, you may not have to join a kinship to get things done. Just throwing out another perspective.

• Upvote 1

Kinships come and go, as do people. But rep stays, since some people do stay. I've noticed that while being in kinships helps a great deal, some kinships dwindle and die. On the other hand I still chat on few user channels with people that are always ready to help (and thus are helped too).

In short, kinships good. Friend lists divine.

On Gilrain, a number of kinships including ours, have set up a joint channel. It's a channel you get into by invitation only, and usually after a nice group-activity. All of the members of three kins are in it. The remainder are spread over quite a number of kins.

A meta-kinship if you like. Works great.

Also works great if your chars are spread out over multiple kinships.

So, play PUG, behave well -- and who knows, you might get invited into one :)

Binabik

If Galuhad's proposal is accepted by Turbine, his alliance system could help create something close to a meta-kinship.