LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tigerwyn

Unfair Exchange rates?

Ok so I was just about to pre-order the Isengard ex-pac for 40$ and as I do with everything, I look around for what the current universal rates are and this is what I found

40.00 USD = 24.5241 GBP

Ok that is fair enough, but when pre-ordering said expansion, Turbine charge just under 30pounds.

Isn't this a little unfair on European players? Turbine making up their own rates? :/

-Tiger(Wyn)

stores both in Canada and the US do not go by a bank exchange rate, they have set rates that they have to go by that very rarely change

I have more of an issue with the fact they are using different exchange rates in different places.

For RoI the exchange rate is £1=$1.33

For the 12 month sub offer it is £1=$1.25

For the world transfer is is £1=$1.31

If they could just pick one and stick with it

Can't you just pay for ROI in dollars (using credit card or whatever) and let your bank exchange it at the current exchange rate?

The fact that they exchange rates are different for different services is because everything is rounded to £9.99 or £29.99 etc, rather than charging £27.62 for something, it looks neater.

Yeah, it's probably preferable to pay in dollars and use a credit card(if you have one).

I have to use a credit card to pay my student loan payments, as going through the bank would lead to £28 in charges each time I have to make a payment(it's sending money abroad).

Using my credit card to pay, I pay international usage charge of £3.52

You do the maths ;)

I paid the preorder in dollars too and let Paypal handle the euro conversion. A much more reasonable arrangement than using Turbine's artificially inflated exchange rates. (Not possible with the Store, AFAIK. It forces euro prices on you.)

companies generally don't use exchange rates to set prices they will give it a price which best fits the cost of similar games in that region..if they did it on exchange rate they would have to change the cost on of the product numerous time a day to fit the fluctuating exchange rate.

We are lucky now that most people can pay in any currency so we can work out which is the cheapest and pay via that one >:)

That would be USD ;)

Tried pre-ordering, but there was an error when using paypal to pay for it.

So, will wait, see if anything turns up on my paypal account.

Some questions

I live in the UK so what the best (cheapest) way to buy Isengard.

Should i use a credit card or pay pal and is it best to buy from the USA site.

At the moment i am looking at the heroes edition $39:99

A bit confused :?

Ok so I was just about to pre-order the Isengard ex-pac for 40$ and as I do with everything, I look around for what the current universal rates are and this is what I found

40.00 USD = 24.5241 GBP

Ok that is fair enough, but when pre-ordering said expansion, Turbine charge just under 30pounds.

Well

£24.50 x VAT (20%) = £29.40 so Turbines price of £30 is a good exchange rate.

NOTE

To sell to an EU citizen a Foreign company MUST register with a EU country they then MUST CHARGE VAT and then pay that VAT in full to the European country they are registered with.

It is ILLEGAL for a Foreign company to sell to an EU citizen without registering or paying VAT.

It is ILLEGAL for an EU citizen to try and circumvent paying VAT

I wonder how many preordered using Paypal and paid in USD... and if anyone notices it. :/

a lot! there is a (similar) thread in the German part, how to save money by paying in USD!

And not only via PayPal, even credit card,...there are a lot possibilities to save money...