LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
MueR

Kinship recruitment - updates

Modbreak: This topic has been split off to not further derail the original recruitment thread.

While I applaud the enthusiasm, there's really no point in stating weekly that you have $x spots available.

While I applaud the enthusiasm, there's really no point in stating weekly that you have $x spots available.

LOL 7(8)7 So what's the point of this thread if we can't use it to keep possible applicants up to date on available open slots for recruiting?

This is a recruitment thread right? An invaluable resource in aiding The Suffering community and keeping people up to date on available recruitment slots, Kin Milestones, welcome messages and all sorts.... d;)b

We limit new members to ten in anyone cycle, this relies on up to date current information to be disseminated as fast as possible. If this happens daily or weekly or monthly is random but will not stop me from posting welcome messages, grats messages and update this as often as I have done for other threads in the past. Its not enthusiasm, its how we do things. B)

If this is NOT how your intending this forum to be used :? then please can you clarify specifically what you are and are not expecting us to do here? d;)b as frankly this is nothing compared to what we used to post on the CM forums and I have never ever had any issues with any moderators or admins in the past, so not only am I a bit confused but also a little beleaguered and upset at your message.

Clarity is all I am asking for really, as clearly I am going to be doing more than weekly updates at times and then possibly nothing for a while and so on...

Thanks

With respect

Weirdy

To be fair, I thought that MueR laid out the rules for these forums quite clearly here;

Whilst I was a very active participant in keeping the TLA recruitment thread in the top few on CM's forums (and have started down a similar route on the Turbine forums) :$ I have tried to respect what MueR requested here and have tried to restrain my "post whoring" somewhat on these recruitment forums :Y

I am slightly biased because I started this thread but my view on these threads is thus...

As a recruitment tool I have found that a thread with lots of posts whether updates/banter/achievements are much more likely to attract peoples attentions and get them interested. If there is just one post at the start it doesn't give a full impression of what the kin you will be joining is like. For that end I don't post in a thread to have it right at the top (though this is a nice side effect)but to give ppl an idea of what's going on in the kin. If more than 1 person posts like in your threads SoDT then it adds to the feel of the community in the kinship.As it stands in this forum we only have 1 page of threads anyway so bumping isn't really a major issue.

Either way this is just my view and I respect MueR's right to host his forums in any way he likes. So to that end lets move this thread back to its purpose :)

I note you mention SoDT only having one person posting but to be fair most kins only have one person running recruitment posts as they should not be a conversational spam thread, thats what Kins have their own forums for :)

I personally have never had a problem updating my recruitment posts when we get a new member or have a significant event that needs publicising, I cant see anyone would have a problem with that.

Both of your kins are great kins with great people who are passionate about their Kin's future unfortunately though Weirdy still smells of cabbage! :)

I meant SoDT had more than 1 person posting which was why I like looking at the Last Alliance threads as they is some humour going on. But that said I read pretty much all the threads to see whats going on with all the folks on Snowy :)

To be fair, I thought that MueR laid out the rules for these forums quite clearly here;

I see SoDT, yes that's really really clear and completely not open to misinterpretation, clearly it states we are not allowed to post more than once a week! clearly it states, concisely and in English even a lawyer cant tear apart what we are and are not supposed to do!

Clearly the replies to this thread breach the stated rules, so we are doomed either way.

Perhaps I am objecting to this incorrectly and should just forget about this place and stop linking and suggesting people join it and concentrate on the Turbine forums instead and save myself the indignity of an argument over sematics and how we as a community have always operated... *shrugs*

I see SoDT, yes that's really really clear and completely not open to misinterpretation, clearly it states we are not allowed to post more than once a week! clearly it states, concisely and in English even a lawyer cant tear apart what we are and are not supposed to do!

Clearly the replies to this thread breach the stated rules, so we are doomed either way.

Perhaps I am objecting to this incorrectly and should just forget about this place and stop linking and suggesting people join it and concentrate on the Turbine forums instead and save myself the indignity of an argument over sematics and how we as a community have always operated... *shrugs*

Oh come on matey, I wasn't having a go, and you must know it!

Cogidubnus and Chipmore, I think, understand where MueR is coming from, or at least they understood what my post was meant to mean.

I, too, agree that threads are far more interesting if a number of people post in them, a sense of community is achieved, and we can all have a giggle at a bit of banter.

I understood MueR's implications when he set the rules for these forums and I realised he did NOT want to see the sort of "shameless bumping" that we all took part in (in the best of spirits it must be said) on the CM ( and now the Turbine forums) and out of respect to these forums, and they way we were asked to behave, I have NOT posted "Welcome to.." "We have done XX", "We are still recruiting...." type posts here, because that is what was implied in the "rules" for these forums.

However having a bit of banter on a recruitment thread, as this thread had on P1, is actually quite entertaining..... *O* , whereas the posts that MueR "objected" to were really the sort that should (under the guidelines requested by MueR) be restricted to one's own Kin Forums.

I hope you don't stop supporting these forums, and hope you continue to update your Turbine recruitment thread as you did your CM one. :*)

(PS I have now resigned as TLA Recruitment Occifer - 3+ years in the role and I need a break, so watch out for some other - yet to be announced- Turbine recruitment forum spammer )

Oh come on matey, I wasn't having a go, and you must know it!

Cogidubnus and Chipmore, I think, understand where MueR is coming from, or at least they understood what my post was meant to mean.

I, too, agree that threads are far more interesting if a number of people post in them, a sense of community is achieved, and we can all have a giggle at a bit of banter.

I understood MueR's implications when he set the rules for these forums and I realised he did NOT want to see the sort of "shameless bumping" that we all took part in (in the best of spirits it must be said) on the CM ( and now the Turbine forums) and out of respect to these forums, and they way we were asked to behave, I have NOT posted "Welcome to.." "We have done XX", "We are still recruiting...." type posts here, because that is what was implied in the "rules" for these forums.

However having a bit of banter on a recruitment thread, as this thread had on P1, is actually quite entertaining..... *O* , whereas the posts that MueR "objected" to were really the sort that should (under the guidelines requested by MueR) be restricted to one's own Kin Forums.

I hope you don't stop supporting these forums, and hope you continue to update your Turbine recruitment thread as you did your CM one. :*)

(PS I have now resigned as TLA Recruitment Occifer - 3+ years in the role and I need a break, so watch out for some other - yet to be announced- Turbine recruitment forum spammer )

LOL Dont get me wrong, it was intended to be a heavily on the sarcasm side, but if we cant actively post on a forum, what's the point of it? I don't see we have done anything outside the regulations and I don't like it being inferred we cant post updates about open slots, which I do generally once and then as I welcome folks point out the reduced number...

I was seeing this forum as the main focus of my recruitment efforts as far as posts and updates go, but I am not happy about the murky privately owned aspect of it all now, with regards to unwritten and subjective inference of behaviours, we ALL as adults should not be subjected too? Yes a bit of banter is all well and good and we all did well and behaved ourselves on the CM forums without trolling ;)

We are all born and raised in this information super age and I carry some basic rules of thumb with me, if you cant find what your looking for in a few clicks you give up. IF this thread was intended to just Promote the Kins they should have been locked after the header post was made. We could have then edited that, infact, HANG on there is a simple solution right there except I didn't write it :(

I have run and managed my own Kinship forums for many years and I have very few rules regarding posting, d;)b I do have an Ethos post I require new recruits to read and acknowledge, that's all about behaviours expected within the community. *O*

So no offence taken, none intended in return, _O_ I am just annoyed and frustrated to be to told by the admin I cannot do what I have been doing with no issues else where for over 4 years when it doesn't harm anyone or do any damage, :? one up date a week isn't good enough. I could make 5-10 updates in a day if that's how the recruitment cycle goes. I am happy to tone some stuff down, but there has to be a limit to how useful a resource this place is and daft inferred wrist slapping for what ever reason is BOUND to cause upset and issues. Anyone who has Admin'd or moderated forums knows this...

All of this could have been avoided in Public if he had sent a PM, albeit a lot less interesting for the spectators such as yourselves... :Y

Thanks

With Respect

Weirdy - Lead Cabbage sniffer and quality passed air inspector to Moria Defenders

(PS: Three years is a long time, put your feet up and relax ;) )

Okay, first of all, I probably should have said that via PM, I'll admit to that. Mea culpa.

As for the guidelines set in this forum: they're guidelines, not rules. I dislike setting everything in stone, as experience has shown that it's a bad way of managing forums. Once you start policing every whim and writing rules about them, you'll end up with a very restricted forum. As I hope this community will grow larger, I'd rather lay out a few guidelines that can later be shaped into a more solid set of policies, should the need arise. What I do not want to do at that time is suddenly ban things that have been allowed since day one.

Since I have a personal dislike of thread bumping, something I've seen on the CM and Turbine forums too often, I've put it in the initial guidelines. Is it unfair to take my personal dislikes and enforce rules against those here? Perhaps, but I believe that it's for everyone's benefit.

Some kinships will go to extreme lengths to keep their recruitment thread on page one, preferably within the first five posts, as I've noticed elsewhere. Assuming that a few of those will come here and start spamming away, that will just trigger more thread bumps, ultimately rendering the forum pointless, as I'll just close it to stop the bumping.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from on this subject. I think I've shown that I'm open to discussion on forum policy. If I haven't, I am, really. If a large enough number of people feel that daily thread bumping of recruitment threads is no problem, I'll certainly allow it.

daft inferred wrist slapping for what ever reason is BOUND to cause upset and issues. Anyone who has Admin'd or moderated forums knows this...

Not to be disrespectful, but moderating a kinship forum isn't really moderating a forum. At most, you'll delete an image from a post if it's gory or otherwise inappropriate. I'm a moderator on a forum numbering near half a million users. We get about 100 topics an hour (either new topics or replies to topics). Creating and enforcing policies for a forum that size is a challenge. A policy for a kinship forum is like setting up house rules in your own home. There might be one spoiled kid who doesn't want to do the dishes every other day, but ultimately everyone will get along.

Okay, first of all, I probably should have said that via PM, I'll admit to that. Mea culpa.

As for the guidelines set in this forum: they're guidelines, not rules. I dislike setting everything in stone, as experience has shown that it's a bad way of managing forums. Once you start policing every whim and writing rules about them, you'll end up with a very restricted forum. As I hope this community will grow larger, I'd rather lay out a few guidelines that can later be shaped into a more solid set of policies, should the need arise. What I do not want to do at that time is suddenly ban things that have been allowed since day one.

Since I have a personal dislike of thread bumping, something I've seen on the CM and Turbine forums too often, I've put it in the initial guidelines. Is it unfair to take my personal dislikes and enforce rules against those here? Perhaps, but I believe that it's for everyone's benefit.

Some kinships will go to extreme lengths to keep their recruitment thread on page one, preferably within the first five posts, as I've noticed elsewhere. Assuming that a few of those will come here and start spamming away, that will just trigger more thread bumps, ultimately rendering the forum pointless, as I'll just close it to stop the bumping.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from on this subject. I think I've shown that I'm open to discussion on forum policy. If I haven't, I am, really. If a large enough number of people feel that daily thread bumping of recruitment threads is no problem, I'll certainly allow it.

Not to be disrespectful, but moderating a kinship forum isn't really moderating a forum. At most, you'll delete an image from a post if it's gory or otherwise inappropriate. I'm a moderator on a forum numbering near half a million users. We get about 100 topics an hour (either new topics or replies to topics). Creating and enforcing policies for a forum that size is a challenge. A policy for a kinship forum is like setting up house rules in your own home. There might be one spoiled kid who doesn't want to do the dishes every other day, but ultimately everyone will get along.

No worries MueR, I see where you are coming from, I understand clearly the types of policies required and no I dont see a comparison to my 200 odd members and your half a million. But surely different communities need handling slightly differently? I can see how handling 100 posts an hour can be difficult, but my last two posts are five days apart O-)d;)b

I dont ever think we'll be daily to an extent you would object to, (I only check em once a day anyway), its all about timing. That timing as you will appreciate is down to a player knowing an application is going to be a quick process if a slot is open, otherwise they would have to wait until one was... Giving them the choice... which we can only do by posting up that status of slots.

Thank you also for splitting this topic away from the thread, it was not relevant and I think demonstrates quiet adequately your policy on that score ;)

This discussion has been a good chance for all concerned to air openly thoughts and practicalities surrounding this subject and I think this thread will be a great place for other posters to ask questions :)

Infact this thread could quiet possibly be a good Ethos shaper as the forum grows, if your amenable to such evolution ;) Which We all now know you are d;)b d;)b d;)b

With respect

Weirdy

Active kinships;

fjb4954.png

Last kinships in Riddermark. Others pretty dead. So not active.

Inactive kinships: may it be, dust in the wind and lords of moria.