LOTROCommunity
cossieuk

Rise of Isengard: Developer Diary New Stat Updates

Here is the first dev diary for RoI

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1276-rise-of-isengard-developer-diary-new-stat-updates?lang=en_US

The caps on Primary characteristics, Might, Agility, Vitality, Will and Fate are completely removed.

chickendance.gif

I don't PvMP myself, but I imagine there would be significant impact there ... and perhaps a number of "nerf this" or "balance that" outcries. If Turbine took that into account, the status quo remains; if not, a part of the game already suffering neglect may not improve.

Oh. Oh dear.

Two good decisions (b/p/e and the cap removal) nestled in between a bunch of silly ones.

And when do you think they'll have the icons finished for the store-bought finesse tomes?

"We won't be selling radiance in the store! See, we're not monsters!"

V

"We're removing radiance! Aren't we lovely? Go Turbine!"

V

"We're introducing a new, more subtle system that will inevitably be used as a gating mechanism, which we never said you wouldn't be able to buy in the store! So we're still not technically lying to our customers! Can we have more money now?"

Tsk tsk. For shame.

No stat cap... who wants to bet there'll be more than 5 levels of stat tome in store soon then? 7(8)7

...and Guardians, Champions and Wardens will use Might for their Ranged offence ratings.

Want to see how much I care about my ranged offence ratings on my champion? Ok here goes... did you see? No? Well, it was small. Microscopic, even.

Yet burgs get 10x their agi on their melee offence? Will they now get the same from might as they do now plus the extra 10x from agi while we continue to stay with just might contributing to our melee offence?

I don't know, I read it quickly. Was in a rush.

Edit - I found out burgs get 1:7 might:offence compared to champs with 1:10. With the new changes will that mean a total of 1:7 plus the 1:10 they'd get from agi:offence?

Burgs will get offence rating from agility only, so all those burgs that had stacked might over agility will need to redo their builds once RoI is out, but that should not really be an issue as these would need reworked with the level cap

Want to see how much I care about my ranged offence ratings on my champion? Ok here goes... did you see? No? Well, it was small. Microscopic, even.

Yet burgs get 10x their agi on their melee offence? Will they now get the same from might as they do now plus the extra 10x from agi while we continue to stay with just might contributing to our melee offence?

I don't know, I read it quickly. Was in a rush.

Edit - I found out burgs get 1:7 might:offence compared to champs with 1:10. With the new changes will that mean a total of 1:7 plus the 1:10 they'd get from agi:offence?

My sense of it was that the burg has become a special case where agility will be used instead of might to determine melee offense. I'm not 100% sure of that, though. Was a bit unclear.

No stat cap... who wants to bet there'll be more than 5 levels of stat tome in store soon then? 7(8)7

me, was my thinking exactly too.

They must be referring to Dwarven rune-keepers that have taken the Head-butt racial trait. ;)

My Rune-Keeper actually does 500 dmg on critical hits meleeing :Y... but doing consistent melee damage is where they lose, at least to my burglar _O-

"Runekeepers will use Will to contribute to their Melee offence" errm... ok, melee offence... err, thanks?

Ok, I've re-read the diary again with less beer in me. I think I understand now, so for my RK (and Minstrels and LMs) they are saying is that "Will" contributes to all my offence stats, tactical, melee and ranged (for what its worth!). For Guardians, Champs and Wardens "Might" contributes to all thier offence stats, melee, ranged and tactical. Hunters and Burgs will use "Agility" for all thier offence rating stats, Captains are unchanged. Is that how it works?

It does seem a little bit like dumbing down to be honest but I guess I can understand it.

"New Stat Updates for Isengard

By: Ken "Graalx2" Burd

Caps

Stat caps are a thing of the past. Well mostly, while it may still be possible (barely) to reach a cap it will take a major effort in choosing your equipped items. I always died just a little bit whenever I read on the forums that this trait or that skill is useless because the player was already capped in whatever. Hopefully these changes will allow the players to get full value from all of their skills, traits and equipment.

The caps on Primary characteristics, Might, Agility, Vitality, Will and Fate are completely removed. The caps on Block, Parry, Evade, Incoming Healing and Critical Hit ratings have been increased to 25%. The caps on Offences, Outgoing Healing and Resistance ratings have been increased to 50%. The relaxation of the ratings based caps starts at level 50.

Stat Percentage Previously

Block 25% 15%

Parry 25% 15%

Evade 25% 15%

Incoming Healing 25% 15%

Melee,Ranged,Tactical Offence 50% 30%

Resistance 50% 30%

Outgoing Healing 50% 30%

One thing to be aware of though, is that the diminishing returns built into the formula the converts ratings to percentage will start to be much more noticeable as the ratings increase. While it takes 4550 ratings to reach +15% at level 65 it will take 8850 to reach 25%.

New Stat – Finesse

For all of those players who think the random number generator has it out for them this is the stat for you. Finesse is a ratings-based stat that will directly reduce the Resistance of monsters as well as their Block/Parry/Evade ratings. This stat will appear primarily on instance/raid/pvmp loot but there will be a few pieces available with Finesse from quests and crafting.

This new stat is a two sided weapon because monsters will have access to it also. Most landscape monsters won’t have much if any Finesse but expect high difficulty instance/raid Boss monsters to have quite a bit.

Stat Consolidation

These changes are being made to make items with these bonuses more useful to more classes.

Resistance – this stat will replace the various resistance ratings to specific types Fear, Disease, Poison and Wound. Effects will still have a specific resistance type because some skills will modify a specific resistance but in general, you will use your Resistance stat as your base chance to resist an effect.

Tactical Mitigation – this stat will replace the various mitigation types used for tactical skills, Fire, Lightning, Frost, Acid and Shadow. Damage will still have a damage type because some skills will modify a specific mitigation but in general, you will mitigate tactical damage using your Tactical Mitigation stat.

Critical Hit Rating – will replace the separate melee, ranged and tactical critical hit ratings previously appearing on items. Critical hit rating will enable all attacks to have an increased chance to critical hit.

New Primary Stat Contributions

We have finally decided to level the playing field for all classes as far as secondary characteristics go, we have deleted them all. No longer will there be any need to make petitions to get a Tactical Crit rating characteristic added to your class or complain that that other class gets more Parry rating from their characteristics than your class does. Instead we have increased the rating contributions from primary stats so that you will be able to have the ratings that you desire rather than the ones we gave you.

We have also changed the contribution to most class’s Offence ratings to use their primary stat * 10. This means that Lore-masters, Minstrels and Runekeepers will use Will to contribute to their Melee offence. Hunters will use Agility for their Melee offence and Guardians, Champions and Wardens will use Might for their Ranged offence ratings. The Captain’s offence ratings are unchanged.

Burglars are a special case. We decided to switch their primary offence rating to be based off of Agility rather than Might. We felt that this Agility focus more closely matched our vision for Burglars and would have minimal impact on current burglars as Agility was already highly desired. And yes all of you burglars out there, you will get 10 times your Agility contribution to Melee Offence."

Source; http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/dev%20diaries/1276-rise-of-isengard-developer-diary-new-stat-updates

What's your take on this?

Ok, I've re-read the diary again with less beer in me. I think I understand now, so for my RK (and Minstrels and LMs) they are saying is that "Will" contributes to all my offence stats, tactical, melee and ranged (for what its worth!). For Guardians, Champs and Wardens "Might" contributes to all thier offence stats, melee, ranged and tactical. Hunters and Burgs will use "Agility" for all thier offence rating stats, Captains are unchanged. Is that how it works?

It does seem a little bit like dumbing down to be honest but I guess I can understand it.

Actually it makes sense having your primary stat to affect all your offence instead of just affecting the skills you primarily use for offence. Hitting a mob with two stones the size of your own palm, is it really sensible that the more might you have the more you do damage with them? Considering these stones do damage in the form of lightning fire or frost, it's sensible to think the damage they do is more of a magical type than just raw muscle strength.

Cookie-cutter characters. LOTRO suffers from a bit of this already, but these changes make it even worse.

Taken overall, I definitely feel the intent of these changes is the dumbing down of the game -- but not just for the players. As it stands now, the developers have to know what they are doing in order to keep things balanced. That costs money. If Turbine plays it right, they'll eventually be able to farm out all of the actual programming for the game to India or Chinese prisoners.

And we end up with cookie-cutter characters. I believe they may have surreptitiously done away with "fog of war" for the same reason. It seems to be a trend. I could be wrong, of course, but I have this sickening feeling that I'm not.

IMHO

I believe they may have surreptitiously done away with "fog of war" for the same reason. It seems to be a trend. I could be wrong, of course, but I have this sickening feeling that I'm not.

IMHO

My opinion of the removal of "fog of war" is that because they now sell quest packs for regions they want the prospective customer to be able to see, before they buy, how large the region is and how many quest hubs there are etc... without having to explore the region themselves.

I think removing the stat caps removes some of the cookie-cutter builds. Just now most classes can easily max out 2 or even 3 stats, but with theses changes you can focus your character as you want. For example a warden could focus on getting his B/P/E to 25% but with a lower morale pool as they should not be hit very often in this build or they could lower their B/P/E and increase their morale or they can go for high morale and high damage. These changes give more flexibility with characters.

On the down side players will roll on items that they might have left before as they were already at a stat cap and would not use it

Taken overall, I definitely feel the intent of these changes is the dumbing down of the game -- but not just for the players.

Yup. That was exactly my thought. Too many stats to confuse new players; simplify everything! It's just more chasing the almighty $$$.

So this is the great change about itemization...

I wonder how much time it will take me to see the new areas with 1 character, level to 75 and visit the instances 1 time. Sure hope SWTOR comes soon after that.

i'm curious why they just make it "offence rating" then, instead of still tact/ranged/melee, would have been a lot easier for them :P

i'm curious why they just make it "offence rating" then, instead of still tact/ranged/melee, would have been a lot easier for them :P

Yes it does seem a bit strange that they're consolidating all the others (resistances, crits, mitigations) but leaving offense separate (although they'll all advance the same amount?), although it does kind of make sense because there'll be skills/buffs/whatever that only buff certain offenses (like Cappy banners etc)