LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Kairos

Turbine forum login problem

Does anybody else have this problem?

I am flatly unable to log onto Turbine's community forums. I sent in a ticket and received an automated response suggesting a number of solutions, all of which I have followed, namely:

1. Made sure I am using my game account username and password, both of which work OK for the game.

2. Made sure my username and pw contain only normal letters and numbers.

3. Made sure my username and pw do have less than 16 characters.

4. Successfully changed my password, without this making any difference.

5. I have also tried changing my forum password alone via the Turbine account page, again with no result.

I now seem to have hit a concrete wall, and I'm not getting any further response from Turbine on my ticket (which I did respond to as requested).

Any suggestions?

Are you getting an error message, or is it just not logging you in without notice?

Are you getting an error message, or is it just not logging you in without notice?

Clear all your browsing cache and enter the Lotro.com forum via this link

http://my.lotro.com/home/

works for me...

I have set Firefox to clear everything automatically every time I log off, but I still get the following error messages no matter how I try to get in:

vBulletin Message

You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.

or

Authentication Failure, please make sure you're using your game login and try again.

And of course there is still no response from Turbine beyond the original acknowledgement...

The vBulletin message suggests they might not have placed your forum account in the proper usergroups, restricting your permissions to a bare minimum (that of an unvalidated user).

Make sure you allow cookies for their site. Can't remember if it needs third party cookies but worth checking...

Aye, checked that as well.... I've even tried logging on using a newly downloaded, completely virgin application. Still refuses all attempts. And it's been well over a week now since I posted a ticket.

Finally got a response from Turbine to my ticket pointing out that I cannot access either MyLotro or the Turbine forums:

Thank you for your inquiry. At this time we have reviewed your issue and have identified that your issue is a part of a larger matter that the Web Development team is currently working on. Unfortunately, we do not know when their work will be completed and your issue resolved.

We appreciate your patience as we work on this issue and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

So that's all right, then...

Thank you for your inquiry. At this time we have reviewed your issue and have identified that your issue is a part of a larger matter that the Web Development team is currently working on. Unfortunately, we do not know when their work will be completed and your issue resolved.

We appreciate your patience as we work on this issue and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A "larger matter", is it? Tell us something we don't know. :F

Their "larger issue" is the overall poor quality of the software they use. But I'm repeating myself on that one.

• Upvote 1

It's now a year later and I'm having the exact same issue with my account. I had stopped playing for a few months, and after I resubscribed I went to login on mylotro and received the same error message, sent Turbine a help request, got the same automated response with tips I tried and did not work, was told to respond to the automated email without changing the subject line, did so, and still have yet to hear back from them. If my experience continues to follow yours, that means I will also be told basically "you're out of luck." I was hoping maybe since it has been a year since you're issue Kairos, if you're still around, or if anyone else has dealt with this problem, if you figured it out you could just let me know how so I don't have to depend on waiting for Turbine to fix this (especially since I'm sure they're all focusing on Rohan Beta now). Thank you.

Please stop complaining, the forums are still in BETA and they are working out the kinks, should be fixed any day now, any day :z

I apologize, here I thought this was a forum to ask questions about how to fix technical issues we were having when other avenues have not yielded any solutions. You're right though, I'll just sit back and twiddle my thumbs until they happen to come seek me out and ask me if I'm having any troubles. It's not like being able to log in to my account on the website is of any importance. Thank you for your constructive aid, sir, you've responded exactly the way I was hoping, unlike those other jerks who offer ideas to try to solve a problem.

I apologize, here I thought this was a forum to ask questions about how to fix technical issues we were having when other avenues have not yielded any solutions. You're right though, I'll just sit back and twiddle my thumbs until they happen to come seek me out and ask me if I'm having any troubles. It's not like being able to log in to my account on the website is of any importance. Thank you for your constructive aid, sir, you've responded exactly the way I was hoping, unlike those other jerks who offer ideas to try to solve a problem.

I believe he was being sarcastic. It's a running joke around here that the Official LOTRO Forums have been stuck in perpetual Beta since 2010, with no signs of the bugs ever being fixed and it going into a Live state.

Please stop complaining, the forums are still in BETA and they are working out the kinks, should be fixed any day now, any day :z

LOL. You beat me to it. It's just a BETA (sarcasm).

I've started liking Chrome for the LotRO forums. It seems to be working fine. Last time I heard though, it wasn't officially supported. Good luck OP, hope they get it working for you.

LOL. You beat me to it. It's just a BETA (sarcasm).

I've started liking Chrome for the LotRO forums. It seems to be working fine. Last time I heard though, it wasn't officially supported. Good luck OP, hope they get it working for you.

Yeah, I use Chrome for those and I never have problems.

I have trouble logging into the lotro forums on my laptop in IE but its fine on my PC, both windows 7, both the same browser version and both on the same home network. Go figure! I would suggest as others have to perhaps try a different browser.

My issue doesn't appear to be with the browser though, it's something with the account itself. My brother can log into his account on the my.lotro.com site without any issues, even on my browser on my computer, while I have the issue no matter what browser or computer. I have a feeling it has something to do with the change they made with the website with using your game account username and pw now where in the past I had a separate username and pw for getting on my forum account on the website. Either that or, like someone said before, they could have my account placed in the wrong usergroup. However, my attempts to contact Turbine with my problem has only resulted in automated responses, and I have tried all of the suggested solutions from both the response and the FAQ sections on the website. At this point I'm pretty much out of ideas to try, and since based on the OP's experience it's clear I'm not the only one who has encountered this issue, I was hoping someone else who went through the same thing might have some insight into what can be done to fix this, or at least which avenues will actually yield a real response from Turbine.

Sorry about that, unfortunately sarcasm doesnt convey well in text. Like Troll above me stated official forums have been in "Beta" for over 2 years now and not a fix in sight. I didnt mean for my reply to be taken seriously and for that I apologize again.

Either that or, like someone said before, they could have my account placed in the wrong usergroup.

I'd agree with that. I've been stuck in the read-only usergroup for the past month or so (the "bug" conveniently came a day after getting two infractions for one comment). I was able to contact the mods through my original account, but the only answers I've gotten so far are along the lines of 'it's a bug, deal with it'.

Just out of curiosity, did you have any infractions before you got hit by this bug? Did you post anything that the Sap might disagree with? If not, they might have bumped you down just because you were inactive, similar to how they won't let Troll out of his moderation status due to his inactivity.

Just out of curiosity, did you have any infractions before you got hit by this bug? Did you post anything that the Sap might disagree with? If not, they might have bumped you down just because you were inactive, similar to how they won't let Troll out of his moderation status due to his inactivity.

Ain't got nuthin' to do with my former inactivity, as we all know.

Of course they had an ulterior motive for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a real reason for dropping people. Perhaps they are dropping a few unused accounts in some half-assed attempt to lighten the load on the forums? Though that would imply an acknowledgement that the forums need to be fixed... Yeah, I think we can ignore that possibility altogether.

Of course they had an ulterior motive for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a real reason for dropping people. Perhaps they are dropping a few unused accounts in some half-assed attempt to lighten the load on the forums? Though that would imply an acknowledgement that the forums need to be fixed... Yeah, I think we can ignore that possibility altogether.

It's possible, but that would imply Turbine is actually taking steps to address the forum issues aside from "Lots of people having errors when trying to load forum pages? Let's increase the default number of posts per page, so they don't refresh as much! PROBLEM SOLVED!"

At this rate, Turbine would be well served to turn off their current integrated website, and replace it with a static blog-type website that Turbine can use to post information about the game, and that's it. No My.LOTRO (which has been broken for years), no Lottery (they've shut it down for months previous to this), no Lorebook (is that a loss?), and no Forums. It is clear that while Turbine had a very interesting idea to integrate all parts of their website together into one big community space, it is just as clear that they are unable to make this community site a reality. The vast majority of the site is buggy beyond belief, and has seen no improvement in months, although it is allegedly in Beta (which implies it is actively being worked on).

No, Turbine would do well to simply get back to basics and shut down every single "interactive" part of their website, and pare back to just a static website (for posting news, developer diaries and the like), in addition to the Account Management page and webstore. That's it. They can then get their web-team to building an interactive site from scratch, and when it is ready for testing, opening it on an unofficial subdomain for true beta testing alone. And if they can ever get that new, interactive community site to work properly, open it up to the masses in a Live environment... but ONLY when it is TRULY READY, and mostly BUG-FREE!

Honestly, I can't believe I have to advise a multi-million dollar gaming company on how to properly handle their website, let alone how to truly conduct a beta test on it.

On the topic of the forums, I'm finally off of moderation review. They say it's because I've reached the time limit. Odd that the time limit was on the same day I made a ton of posts which all ended with:

This is here in order to draw attention to my post. I have been on moderation review for almost 2 months now and I should point out that it is unjustly so. The reason for my moderation review status has long since passed and is no longer applicable, thanks to Turbine caving in under the pressure from customers to include the instance cluster in the Riders of Rohan questpack, I mean, expansion. Since the moderators are unable to keep up with the moderation review que to permit my posts on time, I am forced to try to make my posts stand out. Otherwise they are permitted many days too late and are lost in multiple other posts that had been made between my entering of a post and their permitting of it.