LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Snowbourn's Official Language

After a little trolling in GLFF, I realised that a lot of people don't actually understand what Snowbourn is when it comes to language.

There are those that seem to think that Snowbourn is the 'multilanguage' or 'everything else' server, which is completely wrong.

Snowbourn is an english server, just as Vanyar is german and Sirannon is french. It is not a server for people to flood with other languages or to say it's for people who don't have their own language server. You wouldn't go on a german server and flood it with another language, so don't do it to ours.

Besides, the only reason everyone who doesn't have a native server comes to an english server over a german or french is because they can speak english. So speak it and leave your own language for private tells or chat in kins that are designed for it. Even start your own language GLFF ('Polski GLFF' would do) and you can flood till your heart's content.

That's a lost fight unfortunately. I've tried it on many occasion. Just like trying to keep any GLFF channel on-topic. There's always a few folk who just don't care.

It's not an English server. It is, as SoDT has already pointed out, English preferred. Every server is "preferred". We had this xenophobic Anglo-centric garbage on Laurelin about, oh, a month after Open Beta launched. It rightly got kicked into touch in short order. If you have a problem with it, talk to Turbine; whinging here is pissing in the wind.

Yup Snowbourn is a European server with English as the preferred language. That doesn't mean everyone has to speak English at all times. I for one welcome the diversity of having players from all over europe. I used to raid with an Italian only kinship- I could hardly understand a word on vent but i enjoyed every minute nonetheless

After a little trolling...

Oh, and that little phrase says everything that needs to be said, I think.

I don't mind people speaking other languages as long as they announce it before (e.g. Polish Announcement: <message>). Most people seem to do this :)

Oh, and that little phrase says everything that needs to be said, I think.

I noticed that, but on second reading (to be fair) Doro doesn't actually say that it was he who was trolling, you could read his statement in such a way as that he was witness to some trolling..

...but people do tend to judge on previous experiences.....

Snowbourn is an english server, ...

Which English are you referring to?

Queen's English?

Tees Speak?

Geordie?

Mackem?

Pitmatic?

Cumbrian?

Tyke?

Lancashire?

Mancunian?

Scouse?

Derbyshire?

Nottinghamshire?

Lincolnshire?

Leicestershire?

Black Country?

Brummie?

Potteries?

Herefordshire?

Warwickshire?

Worcestershire?

Norfolk?

Suffolk?

Estuary?

Cockney?

Somerset?

Devon?

Cornwall?

Dorset?

Scottish?

Highland?

Glaswegian?

Welsh?

North East?

Pembrokeshire?

Hiberno-English?

Mid Ulster?

Manx?

General American?

Spanglish?

Ebonics?

Appalachian?

Hawaiian Pidgin?

Chicano?

Pennsylvanian Dutch?

Yinglish?

Baltimorese?

Boston?

Northeast Pennsylvania?

Hudson Valley?

Maine-New Hampshire?

Philadelphia?

Pittsburg?

Providence?

New York/New Jersey?

Nuyorican?

Vermont?

Tidewater?

Virginia Piedmont?

Virginia Tidewater?

Inland North American?

North Central American?

Yooper?

North Midlands?

St. Louis?

Wisconsin-Illinois?

Coastal Southeastern?

Cajun?

Harkers Island?

Southern Highland?

South Midlands?

Texan?

Yat?

Californian?

Boontling?

Utah?

Pacific Northwest?

Bermudan?

Canadian?

Amerindian?

Quebec?

Maritimes?

Cape Breton?

Lunenburg?

Toronto?

Ottawa Valley?

Northern Ontario?

Newfoundland?

Mojave?

Isletan?

Tsimshian?

Lumbee?

Tohono O'odham?

Inupiaq?

Anguillan?

Antiguan?

Bajan?

Bay Islands Creole?

Belizian Creole?

Guyanese Creole?

Jamaican?

Limon Coastal Creole?

Miskito Coastal Creole?

Saint Kitts Creole?

San Andres-Providencia Creole?

Trinidadian?

Virgin Islands Creole?

Burmese?

Hong Kong?

Punjabi/Delhi?

Uttar Pradesh/Bihari?

Bengali/Assamese?

Gujarati?

Maharashtrian?

Kannadiga?

Telugu?

Tamil?

Malayalee?

Malaysian?

Phillipine?

Singapore?

Sri Lankan?

Liberian?

Malawian?

Nigerian Pidgin?

South African?

South Australian?

Western Australian?

Australian Aboriginal?

Fijian?

New Zealand?

• Upvote 1

I noticed that, but on second reading (to be fair) Doro doesn't actually say that it was he who was trolling, you could read his statement in such a way as that he was witness to some trolling...

Yes, you could. You know what? I don't believe that that's the case. There is a difference between trawling & trolling. Trawling is passive; trolling is provoking. I think Doro knows the difference.

Being on the NA servers, whose clientele were often English-speaking, there were always those rare pockets of other languages in the channels, mostly in the form of kinship recruitment. Russian, Brazilian, French, Lithuanian, Polish, etc., they were all there at one point or another (There may have also been an Esperanto kinship recruitment message one time, but I can't swear to it. ;) ). To me, the non-English convos were mostly harmless, and I even got to play sillybuggers with the Brazilian and French kin recruiters that would use a one-second interval between adverts, so the entertainment value wasn't completely lost on me.

I noticed that, but on second reading (to be fair) Doro doesn't actually say that it was he who was trolling, you could read his statement in such a way as that he was witness to some trolling..

...but people do tend to judge on previous experiences.....

You're actually right. For once it wasn't me doing the trolling (which I'm disappointed at).

It is 'English Preferred' in so much as it's 'French Preferred' on the french servers. It is expected to speak the preferred language, not to do as some have recently and just fill the channel with whatever Black Speech of Mordor they like. If I wanted that, I would have joined the german servers >:)