LOTROCommunity
Tanes

Petition: Please assign lore-appropriate names when forced renaming!

I don't know, that thread has been pretty civil so far. Everybody gave their polite piece of mind and opinions. Some pretty good ones.

... the fanboithreadkillersquad ...

It's all right. You can say "Yula, Khafar, Arbalister, et. al." here.

Holy.. You guys better be careful when your character's name ends with 'su'!

The name "Thatsu Cks" is a violation of the roleplaying name policy and is not allowed. In order to change the name you will need to purchase a rename credit from the store.

I have NO clue why they read it as 'Thatsu Cks', really. It never crossed my mind. :F

It's all right. You can say "Yula, Khafar, Arbalister, et. al." here.

the higher the rep, the warier you should get ...

or something like that ;)

Holy.. You guys better be careful when your character's name ends with 'su'!

The name "Thatsu Cks" is a violation of the roleplaying name policy and is not allowed. In order to change the name you will need to purchase a rename credit from the store.

I have NO clue why they read it as 'Thatsu Cks', really. It never crossed my mind. :F

Hold on, what? Did you have your characters surname as Cks or did they add that in themselves? Even giving that, you can change your surname for free, all they had to do was say 'change it to a hobbit name' and hey presto, you have yourself a Thatsu Took or Thatsu Proudfoot.

I swear they're just doing it now when their money's a little low.

Nope, my surname wasn't even 'Cks' at all. It was just 'Nix', I don't see anything offensive there. They just filled in the blanks themselves. That way you can make ANYTHING sound offensive, really. They haven't looked at my surname at all.

As I predicted, the topic in the Suggestions forum has been closed, without a moderating end-comment. I expect for the one in the Laurelin forums to also be closed soon.

Likely, Turbine justified this by the fact that there were examples of GM decisions posted there. Of course, anyone with two brain cells lashed together knows that the (reasonably valid) case that Tanes and others attempted to present could not cite examples convincingly without referencing such GM decisions.

Posting another topic asking why it was locked will only result in another locked topic and forum infractions, so I would recommend against it.

<sigh> The only thing we have to wait for now is for the Turbine moderators to close this topic ... oh, wait ... Turbine can't close this topic.

Well then, I imagine we'll have to continue the debate here, according to the rules of this board.

Who knows, perhaps Clover will read it and have a talk about it with the team. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Nope, my surname wasn't even 'Cks' at all. It was just 'Nix', I don't see anything offensive there. They just filled in the blanks themselves. That way you can make ANYTHING sound offensive, really. They haven't looked at my surname at all.

Okay, that is just plain bizarre. How they got "That sucks" from "Thatsu Nix" is totally beyond me, unless they are making some sort of a statement about operating systems.

EDIT: That's UNIX.

Hmm...

"That Sun IX" could possibly refer to the ninth track released by the rather "alternative" band "Sunn0)))"

which could be deemed to be...

errmm....

"FWTBT" , the last track on their second full album "Flight of The Behemoth.. (I am discounting The Grimmrobe Demos as a first album because.. well.. it was demos.. wasn't it?)

now "FWTBT" COULD be interpreted as a very very rude saying in some unspecified European language.. (although in reality it as a rather ..different.. rendition of Metallica's "for Whom The Bell Tolls")

so yes..

quite obviously the name should have been changed! 7(8)7

(Personally I think their latest album "Monoliths and Dimensions" was by far their best work, but then again I am an old fogey who knows f all about music, after all I have never heard a Justin Bieber song, so obviously know shit all, but Greg Andersons work with Goatsnake was rather good... oh, and they (Sunno))) ) are very interesting to see live.. if somewhat loud... very very very loud.. in a subliminal bass way)

Hmm...

"That Sun IX" could possibly refer to the ninth track released by the rather "alternative" band "Sunn0)))"

which could be deemed to be...

errmm....

"FWTBT" , the last track on their second full album "Flight of The Behemoth.. (I am discounting The Grimmrobe Demos as a first album because.. well.. it was demos.. wasn't it?)

now "FWTBT" COULD be interpreted as a very very rude saying in some unspecified European language.. (although in reality it as a rather ..different.. rendition of Metallica's "for Whom The Bell Tolls")

so yes..

quite obviously the name should have been changed! 7(8)7

I think I saw Glenn Beck put that up on his blackboard on Fox News. It was something like that anyway...

Yep, it was Thatsu Nix. And yep, actually, it was a half-joke with 'That's UNIX'. I've used the 'Nix' lastname before in other games, and it spins off towards that and I loved the combination. I like names with a little message/joke in them, but nothing offensive.

So, yeah..

When reading the Petition thread further on the Laurelin subforum over there.. it looks like more and more people seem to be renamed unfairly or unjust.

I know from a buddy that there was a level 65 dude named Buornwolf. He got forcibly renamed recently. Kinda late, don't you think? The funny thing is that the name is from the random name generator.

He also knows someone else who got a name from the generator, and he got forcibly renamed like 4 or 5 times. The GMs don't seem to agree with each other or something.

That is clearly a matter of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, and it is a poor showing for a company and its customer service level. To disagree with a player about a naming is one thing, but for a disagreement to go on several times between GM's over the same character, without even going over the logs, reeks of severe mis-management, a gross lack of supervision and a complete apathy for the customer.

I know from a buddy that there was a level 65 dude named Buornwolf. He got forcibly renamed recently. Kinda late, don't you think? The funny thing is that the name is from the random name generator.

My champion got renamed under codemasters after playing him for 1.5 years. And I played him a lot. A few chicks writing tickets because they cannot stand you are sometimes enough.

A few weeks later I saw a captain with my old name ...

Buornwolf got renamed at the discretion of the GM though. He had filed in a ticket for something completely unrelated, and then the GM decided to rename him too while he was at it. :) Yeah, doesn't really motivate people to report bugs or something, huh?

Well, if I'm going to be stuck with Ormaldana I might as well make Ormaldana Ooramully as the full name.. and in my bio some half-ass lame story about having a half-elven hobbit mother to explain the elvish name. :P

It looks to me as if the GMs are just using the name generator at character creation. It obviously doesn't distinguish between races or even genders, just spewing up literally random names.

I also think that ruling out names that have similar spellings to canon/lore characters is short-sighted too. How many Daniels, Mathews and Daves do you know in RL? The issue is only a problem if someone is actually aiming to RP as a lore figure and I'm pretty sure that other RPers would ignore them promptly!

If Turbine followed Codemasters' example and granted a free rename, it might be a little easier to bear. But it now has me wondering how many of my characters' names might be deemed inappropriate, even though I've used various resources to check that they are appropriate to the setting.

It's a shame Turbine don't apply the same rigidity to other aspects of the game.

A few weeks later I saw a captain with my old name ...

Ah, now I got done like that. It wasn't even down to reports (apparently 3 reports within 24 or 48 hours is the trigger point). A long time ago, within 6 months of Open Beta I think, I'd actually reported a problem (apparently as Buornwolf did) with the game early in the morning. I then got a tell from a GM to the effect of "Thank you very much. By the way, I'm going to have to rename your alt, as it breaks the religion clause." It was my main, too.

I explained that the name was 100% Sindarin Elvish, it was certainly not going to offend anyone, and it was tendentious to claim it was religious anyway. I'd take the alt the offline immediately, since I was off to work shortly, and not log it on again until I'd had a chance to discuss it with a senior GM... I got home to discover that the arrogant twat had willy-nilly inflicted a rename on me to something that wasn't remotely Elvish (Trin - at least you've got something that fits in Middle Earth, even if it's not hobbity!).

Knowing that possession is nine-tenths of the law, I didn't hold out much hope of getting the name back. I didn't, but at least the senior GM was sensible enough to agree a compromise, and I got something close to the original, and with the same meaning.

What really irks me, though, is that I know there is a reserved name list in the game. Apart from the fact that I was told of it by a GM, try naming your horse / pony Bilbo - can't be done. Do they add the rule-breaking names they change to this list? No! Is there an alt on my server with my original rule-breaking name? Yes! >:(

Well, if I'm going to be stuck with Ormaldana I might as well make Ormaldana Ooramully as the full name.. and in my bio some half-ass lame story about having a half-elven hobbit mother to explain the elvish name. :P

A Hobbit mother / father who, very unusually, had dealings with Elves and therefore chose an Elvish name for their child would make more sense, I think. ;)

A Hobbit mother / father who, very unusually, had dealings with Elves and therefore chose an Elvish name for their child would make more sense, I think. ;)

Hey, I don't have to make sense. They set the precedence, I continue on with that. :P

And sorry about that having happened to you too. At least you were able to get the name close to what you originally had. I've submitted tickets via Turbine's website and even suggested alternatives that comes close enough to what I had, but they haven't responded to that at all. All I got was a cold 'buy a rename'. :(

I'm tempted to ask friends to report my name in a time span of 24 hours to see what the new retarded name of the week will be. :P Can't get worse and I've lost my close touch with my character now. :/

Well mine was under CM. Under the original GMs, Alchemical Dreams. There were some good ones (including the one who admitted to me that they'd never had to deal with a naming policy before, and it was real pain in the arse), and a couple of right tossers. Including the one who stitched me up.

By the way, you could ask your kin to report you, of course. But even our retarded GM's might spot that one... I still remember when MueR was up in arms after being given a warning for "orchestrating" ticketing a name... })