LOTROCommunity
Laurinaohtar

Star Wars: The Old Republic

You can now pre-order

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

Ordered mine, anyone else going to be giving it a try?

german CE ordered, shipping estimated for october 21st, i'm excited :D

Me too. So we'll probably have about a month for Isengard.

Deluxe Digital Version here, bought over a completely overstrained origin-shop. Digitalriver ftw..... }:|

Hi.preordered the Deluxe download and got headstart.Very much looking foward to this game but the waiting is annoying.Looks like an end of Oct/early Nov.release.Still,that gives me time to complete RoI first.Provided that isnt delayed.

I've lost interest in the Star Wars universe so I won't be bothering. And like Raedwulf I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2. Hope we get a beta before the year ends.

Client is allegedly 40Gb +, all that fully voiced stuff.

I suggest putting it on the fastest accessing drive you have / can get

Client is allegedly 40Gb +, all that fully voiced stuff.

I suggest putting it on the fastest accessing drive you have / can get

If that's actually true, it's ridiculous. You'll need about 10 discs for the client!

If it is 40Gb then good luck to those that have bought the digital download, that is going to tie up their broadband for a while.

I will wait till after RoI is released and see how long the new content keeps me going before buying anything else

well i think 40GB is way too much. the client itself might be around 20GB + the more languages u download the bigger the sound files ;) - so 2 Double-DVDs in the packs or 20gb download... hope the internet backbone is ready in october for the incoming traffic :D

There is a debate which BioWare haven't commented on, as to whether the voice stuff will be streamed, or downloaded. If it's streamed I guess 20Gb is more realistic, but if d/l'd it could well be pushing 40Gb.

Not sure what effect the streaming of the voice stuff will have on fluidity of play but would expect it to cause some issues especially at peak times

The boxed edition is 5 discs.40 gb is the figure being used on the forums but BW havent confirmed or denied size.

But its gonna be big.The devs have said some of the planets are the size of 7WoW zones.and there are 17 planets confirmed.Obviously they wont all be that size.Then full VO.And apparently 200hours of play per class.At that rate 40 gb sounds about right.

I'm reminded of AoC. Utterly gorgeous starter zone; nothing worth mentioning outside. Or LotRO? A ton of content at the start; expansions steadily becoming more & more lite (sic). It sounds great, but will they be able to sustain the depth? Not trying to be negative, I'm just curious. My only MMO's are the two I've mentioned, so I don't know what might be considered a typical MMO life-cycle...

I'm reminded of AoC. Utterly gorgeous starter zone; nothing worth mentioning outside. Or LotRO? A ton of content at the start; expansions steadily becoming more & more lite (sic). It sounds great, but will they be able to sustain the depth? Not trying to be negative, I'm just curious. My only MMO's are the two I've mentioned, so I don't know what might be considered a typical MMO life-cycle...

I would say it depends on how succesfull they are. What you normally see is an MMO release with lots of new additional content ready and waiting to be released, in this way they give the illusion of being the one MMO company that can release content fast. LOTRO did it with its early book updates, you can gurantee that half of that content was mostly done already at release.

Once that content dries up it then depends on how much money its making as to how much budget and man hours they put into new future content, WoW for example obviously has a large budget so new content updates tend to be a good size, lotro and AoC less so.

WoW for example obviously has a large budget so new content updates tend to be a good size

Maybe I've missed a bit in the past but WoW content updates normally are a new raid and tons of class changes that need to be rebalanced over the next months. Oh, and new armor sets for the next arena season. I prefer any LotRO update to that.

Maybe I've missed a bit in the past but WoW content updates normally are a new raid and tons of class changes that need to be rebalanced over the next months. Oh, and new armor sets for the next arena season. I prefer any LotRO update to that.

I'm seriously tempted to try WoW if just to see what it is all about. Runes of Magic I hear is a lot like, so I might have some ideas on the game mechanics. It's the graphics mostly (I truly hate how every screenshot and video looks!) and the neverending battle for the next better-than-before gear that I suspect will make me uninstall it in a hurry.

This maybe true for the more recent expansions, I must admit I stopped playing WoW some time ago.

The main reason I'm looking forward to TOR I think is because Bioware seem to be, at least attempting, to put the RPG back in MMORPG which has been slowly declining for some time. It remains to be seen how succesfull at this they are of course.

That's fine, but do me a favour and read this first, before you take the plunge.

You could take the WoW out of those statements and fill in poker, cigarettes or alcohol in stead. If you have the disposition to get addicted, then you have to find out how to fight that.

You have to "just" have the mental strength control whatever it is you are using. You can be a light smoker and quit at ease, or be heavy smoker who never gets to quit. You can have a beer or two at parties, or you can be an alcoholic. You can treat games as what they are - a fun passtime - or you can become addicted to gaming.

Same shit, different wrapping.