LOTROCommunity

Star Wars: The Old Republic

I've been addicted to games in the past, in no major way but still they have burned all my SPARE time in the past. SPARE time as I have never (consciously at least) to this day skipped school or work to play a game. I have _avoided_ doing the dishes and maybe forgotten to eat lunch AND dinner, eventually munching down something vile at midnight... but I would say my addiction is well in check. Having a wife helps amazingly. :Y

Smokes, booze and poker are bad for you as everyone can agree. But isn't everything done too much an addiction? Washing until your skin peels off.. It all boils down to not pushing real and important things aside to spend your time enjoying a thing that should be a HOBBY.

Having a wife and two kids helps even more.

Well if they're Lotro and/or Star Wars fans too, they might "help" a bit too much! So far our toddler has contributed in making my character jump around madly while riding. Oh the fun she has. _O-

Well if they're Lotro and/or Star Wars fans too, they might "help" a bit too much! So far our toddler has contributed in making my character jump around madly while riding. Oh the fun she has. _O-

I know that I'll have to keep my son(8 yrs) away from SW:TOR. He's grabbing everything that has a Star Wars Logo on it. And he always asks me questions about SW:Clone Wars, a topic I'm incredibly unaware of. Maybe I'll give him the CE statue as a present, it will easily make me the BEEEESSSSST daddy in the world.

I know that I'll have to keep my son(8 yrs) away from SW:TOR. He's grabbing everything that has a Star Wars Logo on it. And he always asks me questions about SW:Clone Wars, a topic I'm incredibly unaware of. Maybe I'll give him the CE statue as a present, it will easily make me the BEEEESSSSST daddy in the world.

... my preciouzzzzz... *touches the sith-model softly and drifts away into a nice dream*

Master will help uzzz, yesss yesss

my girlfriend and my daughter will always interrupt at the wrong moments :) so that's self-control enough for me :)

That's fine, but do me a favour and read this first, before you take the plunge.

Quitting WoW is easy enough once you realize that Blizzard is giving non-raiders nothing to do but an endless string of dailies, just so you can get a few measly reputation epics that pale in comparison with what Blizzard's favourite peeps, the hardcore raiders, are getting.

I played for five years. Had a lot of good times. But in the end the raid-centric approach started to grate more and more. I tried that raiding thing a few times, when I was still in my guild. This was before the first expansion. The instance itself (Zul'Gurub) was a lot of fun, once we were inside. But it was the actual getting inside that was a problem, each and every time. Of everyone that signed up for the raid, only me and a handful of others dutifully showed up on time each time. Others not so much. "Stuck at work." "Oh, I forgot." "Gotta walk the dog." "Mom says I gotta have dinner first." Others were online, but had to finish their quests first, or buy potions, or repair, or finish that battleground. I got so sick of starting an hour late every time.

But go ahead and try it. It certainly is fun (or used to be, anyway. I haven't played in over a year.) I think you can now level to 20 for free, like an endless trial.

On topic: I pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition, but seeing that 40 gigabyte number being thrown around, I'm starting to doubt whether that was such a good decision. They'd better make the download available a few days ahead of time, or that week's headstart will be spent downloading the game. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to playing it.

amazon.de still announces a release date of Oct 21st but amazon.co.uk changed the date to Jan 2nd. It looks like Bioware said at Comic Con that the release would be in the holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.

amazon.de still announces a release date of Oct 21st but amazon.co.uk changed the date to Jan 2nd. It looks like Bioware said at Comic Con that the release would be in the holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.

I doubt they made such a statement, or the news would have been plastered all over the Internet by now. Retailers just put in a random date when no official release date is known yet. When EA said they were aiming for a holiday release, that 21 October was obviously too early, so that's why they probably changed it to 2 January.

Holiday 2011 is a pretty broad period as well, but my guess would be the game is out by early November. Still some time away from Christmas, but shopping season starts early every year. Gotta give those parents time to buy all those copies early (so they'll sell out and EA will have to restock all the stores in time for the last wave of Christmas shoppers, laughing all the way to the bank).

I pre-ordered from origin.

The original release date was 2009. As it has been postponed so often, i'm sure we'll see a few more postponements.

That 40 gig is worrying me too. They must have sold tens of thousands of copies already. All those people expect to get in on the first day of early access. They will need very impressive servers to upload all these clients.

What is worrying me more are the dozens of horrible people on the official swtor forum: trolls, people complaining about a game they haven't played yet, people who want a SWG2, people who want a KOTOR3, people who want a sandbox game, people who want full PVP game, ... I hope the community will improve drastically.

• 2 weeks later...