LOTROCommunity
LordVorontur

Beta announced!

http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/1334-the-lord-of-the-rings-online-rise-of-isengard-to-launch-beta-program-on-july-27th

Here you go!

There is no reason to delete a post with a public link. There is no NDA violation here.

Irony ...

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

inigomontoya.jpg

it's always fun to see so much topics about beta appearing on public forums, do people even realize they somewhere agree to a NDA? :P

If you didn't receive an invitation to the BETA, are you in violation of the NDA if you say you didn't receive an invitation?

Just thought I would mention that I am NOT in the Beta, not at all, no, no really I amn't and if you saw someone in it who looked like me, then that was just coincidence because I am really truly truly NOT in the beta. So.. glad I cleared that one up before someone mistakenly thought I might be in the Beat, which, of course, I am not, because if I was I wouldn't be able to say that I was, or wasn't, so as I AM saying I am NOT that sort of proves that I am not.

:*)

To me, beta testing for MMO's is slightly reminiscent of a Burman sweat-shop. Despite all the capital that WB affords to Turbine, they still feel the need to tempt people into giving away free labour, to play something (in an unfinished state, mind you) that they're just going to end up playing later on. The original Stress Tests I could understand, as a company's head count isn't enough to run one. SoA beta I could understand, because there were special deals available at the end. All the beta tests since then don't really offer anything, except for an opportunity to schmooze with people who are only interested in your money.

Of course, we can all see why I would certainly not be a candidate for any new LOTRO beta. ;)

To-date, I've only done one MMO beta test for free, and that was for City of Heroes. The situation was rather specific for me. Ever since Paragon Studios got rid of Jack Emmert (who nearly destroyed the game with his Gygaxian "vision"), I had simply felt it was good form to help them out in recompense for that.

I beta tested Lineage II and didn't end up playing the game more than a month. Does that say something about beta testing?

Just thought I would mention that I am NOT in the Beta, not at all, no, no really I amn't and if you saw someone in it who looked like me, then that was just coincidence because I am really truly truly NOT in the beta. So.. glad I cleared that one up before someone mistakenly thought I might be in the Beat, which, of course, I am not, because if I was I wouldn't be able to say that I was, or wasn't, so as I AM saying I am NOT that sort of proves that I am not.

Well as you have declared yourself not in Beta and I know I am not in Beta and we can assume Dalthalion is not in Beta then thats 3 non-Betas that we know of. But by declaring we are not in Beta have we not broken the NDAs of those that are in Beta? Unless they come here and also declare they are not in Beta then surely they must be in Beta so by not posting here the NDA for them is broken...

I am also not in beta and even if offered I would turn it down. I want to wait till it is released to run through it for the first time.

I have been offered to join Beta, but I don't feel like it. Why should I? I've not been treated with respect lately from Turbine itself, so they can just shove it. I'll just RP on the real servers instead and make the most of my lifer status before they think of something else to annoy us.

I wouldn't say if I was in beta (if it wasn't breaking NDA). And I am not in beta, I might want to be IF I had more spare time but... oh well.

I have been offered to join Beta, but I don't feel like it. Why should I? I've not been treated with respect lately from Turbine itself, so they can just shove it. I'll just RP on the real servers instead and make the most of my lifer status before they think of something else to annoy us.

Well.. by saying you have been offered you would immediately be in breach of the NDA if you accepted, so I am afraid you are no longer allowed to accept, even if you wanted to.. _O-

And as for one or two of the posts above..... I wonder if anyone is telling "porky pies" (lies), and actually are in Beta, but are only saying they aren't so that they don't break the NDA, but then by even mentioning the word they break the NDA and thus are in breach and will probably be kicked off for "not saying nothing"...?

Has anyone ever actually been taken through a legal system for breaking an NDA in so far as saying they are in a Beta test? I really can't imagine that it would hold up in court.

"M'Lud, we would like to sue this young chap here for damages caused for saying he was participating in Beta when we asked him not to"

"And so exactly what damage has he caused?"

"Ermmmm... well.. he let people know there was a Beta test going on, and said he was involved"

"But didn't you advertise the fact that you were Beta testing?"

"yes, but.. we wanted to keep it secret"

"So what secrets did this young man divulge?"

"That he was in the Beta"

"So what exact damage did that cause you, assuming he revealed no in-game detail?"

"Ermmm.. ermmm..."

"Case dismissed"

To me, beta testing for MMO's is slightly reminiscent of a Burman sweat-shop. Despite all the capital that WB affords to Turbine, they still feel the need to tempt people into giving away free labour, to play something (in an unfinished state, mind you) that they're just going to end up playing later on. The original Stress Tests I could understand, as a company's head count isn't enough to run one. SoA beta I could understand, because there were special deals available at the end. All the beta tests since then don't really offer anything, except for an opportunity to schmooze with people who are only interested in your money.

Of course, we can all see why I would certainly not be a candidate for any new LOTRO beta. ;)

To-date, I've only done one MMO beta test for free, and that was for City of Heroes. The situation was rather specific for me. Ever since Paragon Studios got rid of Jack Emmert (who nearly destroyed the game with his Gygaxian "vision"), I had simply felt it was good form to help them out in recompense for that.

If you were in the free to play beta, you got a code for 500 points at the end as long as you had logged in at some point.

Well.. by saying you have been offered you would immediately be in breach of the NDA if you accepted, so I am afraid you are no longer allowed to accept, even if you wanted to.. _O-

And as for one or two of the posts above..... I wonder if anyone is telling "porky pies" (lies), and actually are in Beta, but are only saying they aren't so that they don't break the NDA, but then by even mentioning the word they break the NDA and thus are in breach and will probably be kicked off for "not saying nothing"...?

Has anyone ever actually been taken through a legal system for breaking an NDA in so far as saying they are in a Beta test? I really can't imagine that it would hold up in court.

"M'Lud, we would like to sue this young chap here for damages caused for saying he was participating in Beta when we asked him not to"

"And so exactly what damage has he caused?"

"Ermmmm... well.. he let people know there was a Beta test going on, and said he was involved"

"But didn't you advertise the fact that you were Beta testing?"

"yes, but.. we wanted to keep it secret"

"So what secrets did this young man divulge?"

"That he was in the Beta"

"So what exact damage did that cause you, assuming he revealed no in-game detail?"

"Ermmm.. ermmm..."

"Case dismissed"

I doubt they would try and sue you for saying you were in beta, but they'll still kick you out before you get the chance to say anything else.

If you were in the free to play beta, you got a code for 500 points at the end as long as you had logged in at some point.

I never did get that code :'(

It would appear that being in Beta this time round is a bit like being in MI5, should I ever get an invite my wife will start getting very suspicious when I have to alt-tab out the game everytime she walks in...

To quote Drew Carey in Whose Line Is It Anyway?, "... the points are like if N'sync and the Backstreet Boys traded guys. It doesn't matter."

Hmm, found some leaked beta release notes, would the mods here hate me for posting the link? You can just google it of course >:)

I doubt they would try and sue you for saying you were in beta, but they'll still kick you out before you get the chance to say anything else.

Exactly, so an NDA is actually really only "worth" the "value" of the Beta Access, which is ermmm... well... an individual thing.

It just makes a bit of a mockery of the "you can't say if you are in Beta or not" clause, because.. well ..so what.. why does it matter just saying that you are in?

If you do not "value" you Beta access the sanctions involved in an NDA are pretty meaningless.

Now if you were in Beta and released, for example, some exclusive screen shots, or some such, I guess Turbine could be a bit more ruthless, but again, I wonder what "damages" they could claim through a legal process.

Just thought I would mention that I am NOT in the Beta, not at all, no, no really I amn't and if you saw someone in it who looked like me, then that was just coincidence because I am really truly truly NOT in the beta. So.. glad I cleared that one up before someone mistakenly thought I might be in the Beta, which, of course, I am not, because if I was I wouldn't be able to say that I was, or wasn't, so as I AM saying I am NOT that sort of proves that I am not.

I am in the beta. But I have also been known to be a liar from time to time. })