LOTROCommunity
Savyl

Banned over reporting a gold spammer

I have been banned immediately after reporting a gold spammer tell and it seems that I'm not alone.. so upset..

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?419807-One-of-my-accounts-was-banned-today-after-i-put-in-a-gold-spmmer-report!

It seems from this above listed thread that he was banned too probably for some wierd reason or it is bugged.. no idea at all. Great way to treat their lifetime members and paying customers.

Wow, if it's policy to ban people (even temporarily) who report gold sellers then it is no wonder I have started seeing more of them.

To be honest, I have no idea why I was banned. I am merely assuming and putting 2 and 2 together since it appeared to happen immediately after reporting the gold spammers. I was barely logged in.. received the annoying "tell" and it was like.. report and kick within moments. I've submitted several tickets but no replies as of yet.

I can finally login to the official forums again. I assume I am unbanned but really have no idea since the game is down due to an update. Thanks all for allowing me to vent. :-)

Oy. My husband received a gold spam tell this weekend too and reported it right away. Luckily he wasn't banned (yet) yesterday. But he didn't send in a ticket, instead he right-clicked on the username and hit the "Report as GoldSpam" option.

Btw, many of our kin have received gold spammer tells over the weekend. It's certainly gotten a lot more.

Savyl, I hope you can log into the game again once it's up :)

Maybe (probably) the GM was tired or in a rush and confused your account with the account of the spammer, you have reported. Yeah, that s*cks, but before you (and everybody else) suggest, that Turbine has started to ban users for reporting spammers, you/we should assume, that somebody has made a simple yet annoying mistake. Wait for their response. I'm pretty sure, that it's only a mistake, that you'll be back in the game soon and that you might even get a little compensation for the inconvenience. Until then, please don't jump to premature conclusions.

Haven't seen gold spammers in oh, over three years. Yesterday our kin reported about five of them (same person perhaps?).

Glad your ban was abolished. thumbsup.gif

I've been playing for just over three years and got my first ever gold spam tell this morning. Quickly followed by no2 and no3. Fairly sure I would have got more but the server went down for maintenance right after i reported no3...

I really do hope it was simple human error that banned your account *fingers crossed* and it has already been sorted (It should be obvious if it's fixed when the servers come back up)

Not seen any in years on Snowbourn.

Still, it's pathetic behaviour from Turbine's GMs to ban the people reporting. It's almost like they're not reading the reports.

Maybe (probably) the GM was tired or in a rush and confused your account with the account of the spammer, you have reported. Yeah, that s*cks, but before you (and everybody else) suggest, that Turbine has started to ban users for reporting spammers, you/we should assume, that somebody has made a simple yet annoying mistake. Wait for their response. I'm pretty sure, that it's only a mistake, that you'll be back in the game soon and that you might even get a little compensation for the inconvenience. Until then, please don't jump to premature conclusions.

@Rarehero, Please don't jump to premature conclusions yourself. :-) I said I was upset but that I assume it was some kind of bug. And yes, still upset. No idea if I'm unbanned or not yet. I only hope that I am. I assume that I am since I can post on the official forums. About compensation? I seriously doubt that, lol. I'm not asking nor expecting it either. It would be nice if they would at least apologize. Somehow, I doubt that too.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

CM had a similar problem some years ago when a change in the ticket system put the reporting account where the offender was before. They also banned some people accidentally. May be a similar problem.

Over the weekend there was a tremendous increase in gold spamming. I also use the right click report feature and yesterday filled an entire ignore list with gold spammers. Fortunately I didn't get banned for reporting them...

Almost certainly a case of a sleepy GM mixing up the reported and reporting characters, not unknown to happen when we ran the service. If there is a lot of gold spamming going on I guess the GM's are getting a bit busy with multiple reports...easy mistake to make...

I'd appeal or escalate and it should get fixed...

I have been banned immediately after reporting a gold spammer tell and it seems that I'm not alone.. so upset..

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?419807-One-of-my-accounts-was-banned-today-after-i-put-in-a-gold-spmmer-report!

It seems from this above listed thread that he was banned too probably for some wierd reason or it is bugged.. no idea at all. Great way to treat their lifetime members and paying customers.

this was an accident fomented by everyone rushing to ban the gold sellers as soon as they appear.

this happened back in SOA also when the spam was real bad but not as often as the names the sellers used were obvious.

this time though the sellers are using the name generator so it is no longer obvious by name alone.

what happens is seller starts to spam, chat channel erupts in comments cuasing chat to scroll fast and some folks accidently report a player when trying to report the spammer.

now what with it being a sunday, and turbine not fully staffed, i am sure the GMs on duty were overwhelmed by the sheer number of seller reports coming in from EVERY server.

if the banned folks were quick to appeal/report the accident they get unbanned in short order as quickly as possible.

this isnt conjecture on my part, this is info i garnered from a GM i talked with.

I'm sorry but I think Turbine support is horrible. I miss CM.. the forums.. the support.. everything, even if they were also not perfect. That's just my personal opinion of course. But that's life and we move on.. just as eventually one day LOTRO will be nothing more than a memory and we shall move on.

As for the gold spammers..Yes I reported it and I think it's not my fault if someone made a mistake. I did submit an appeal as soon as I was banned and still no reply. I never even received an email to explain the ban. Why would a GM speak with certain players and not the rest? That is also something I detest. There is no room for favoritism and corruption in customer support.

@Savyl

I was talking to the community when I asked you to not jump to premature conclusions. Sorry that I didn't make that clear. However, the thread title alone gives the impression, that you have been banned for reporting a spammer. Therefore and because of some other discussions, that are going here and in the official forums, I thought that a warning might be appropriate. Fortunately my concerns have been actually premature :)

I'm still banned. :-(

well, if you do not want to wait for them to get around to yours ( your are far from the only one accidentally banned yesterday ) you could always call them and get if fixed within minutes.

well, if you do not want to wait for them to get around to yours ( your are far from the only one accidentally banned yesterday ) you could always call them and get if fixed within minutes.

I had to phone them in past after some issues with the migration, to their credit they do tend to resolve issues pretty quickly over the phone.

I had to phone them in past after some issues with the migration, to their credit they do tend to resolve issues pretty quickly over the phone.

I tried calling but got a message saying they are closed. Just tried again 5 minutes ago. Are there others banned for this as well? I know I saw the one forum post.. so I assumed I may not be alone but then again, hard to know since usually when you're banned forum access is blocked. Forum access is now blocked again for me. I guess the reason I could access it previously is because the servers, etc were down. By the way, been banned since early this morning.

Support site says lines open at noon, its only 11:15 in Boston

Right just noticed that, thanks.

I was playing the other night, when a barrage of gold spam was making its way in the GLFF channel. One fellow got so tired of it, he decided to mock the gold spammer, using the website reference and price ... not the brightest thing to do. As several of us were rapid-firing "report as gold spammer" requests to keep up, this fellow ended up being caught in the crossfire and his account banned. He is currently undergoing an appeal, based on eyewitness accounts.

Still, it is a mess. If Turbine would take the necessary yet unpopular step of restricting access from all IP's east of Europe, west of Hawai'i and north of Australia, a lot of this wouldn't be happening.

Still, it is a mess. If Turbine would take the necessary yet unpopular step of restricting access from all IP's east of Europe, west of Hawai'i and north of Australia, a lot of this wouldn't be happening.

Difficult. I'm sure Turbine also has a few customers who are living in those areas. Think of people who are stationed in Asia by their employer. Also, they would have to restrict all TOR exit nodes. Then there's the countless number of proxy servers available. When it comes to blocking IPs, there's the problem that not all IP block allocations are properly documented.

Sorry to be a spoilsport :P