LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Wrath_of_Winter

Raid meta-deed steeds in lootboxes. SSG buries a public lie, nothing to see here

(intro for context: I used to post here 4 years ago under same username [without underscores], but have since forgotten my password and no longer have access to email I used to recover it).

I've been mildly and tacitly supportive of SSG after they split from Turdbine, but they sure have a talent at taking player support and ramming it up their ass. This incident is fairly low-key, so I wanted to report it here before stuff on the official forum begins disappearing.

The outline:

Bullroarer open beta, late May:  While testing some things out, I notice someone in world chat linking a thing called [Steed of the Tireless Mount Selection Box]. And what does it contain but a plethora of meta-deed steeds from raids. Steeds that are actually earned rewards by actually doing the game content. Such as the Steed of Many Colours from Isengard metadeed, Steed of Dale-Lands from Erebor metadeed, etc. Intended for inclusion to a Gorgoroth LOOTBOX. It wasn't mentioned in any beta release notes, of course. Someone just literally discovered it by accident. I get livid and create a thread on Bullroarer forum calling attention to this and calling for its removal. It generates multiple pages of negative feedback from players in agreement, resulting in a blue name making a public announcement that this selection box is indeed being removed due to this feedback:

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
This mount selection box was originally added in response to player requests for hard or impossible to obtain mounts, however it is clear from the variety of responses that we were off of the mark. Thanks for all the feedback. We will remove this mount-selection box from the prize list and head back to the drawing board.

Fast forward to today: Someone on official forum happens to discover that latest release notes for today's latest "patch" include this little gem:

"New items have been added to the Gorgoroth Steel-bound Lootbox, including a Steeds of the Tireless mount selection box,"

But wait... does it still include meta-deed raid steeds, like the Steed of Many Colours? Not at all!!!   

Instead, it includes this:

stuffs.jpg

How fucking daft is that.

Not only slipping it back in, after the public promise to remove it due to "listening to feedback", but the insolence of renaming it. Fucking scum.

The original Bullroarer thread I made has already been conveniently deleted (funny to see SSG resort to Sapience tactics, first such case with a whole thread erased) - even though it was made on May 30 and threads older than that are STILL on Bullroarer forum.

Cached version of my thread is still available, so I want to post it for the record before it too disappears: cache of thread

By the way Cordovan, I am Herwegur so you can connect the dots and ban me since you're going down the same route as Sapience. 

In the meantime, the new live thread is obviously not attracting as much heated backlash as the old deleted thread, obviously because this is so under-handed that very few will even notice.

Tolkien IP was literally the only thing still inspiring me to log in. This kind of scummy tactic though makes me throw up in my mouth a little at the sight of the ring desktop icon. I mean, this is beyond disgraceful, this is dirt-caked-in-dried-shit tier of gross. So if LotRo chokes and dies, won't shed a single tear. Clearly unworthy of its IP with such attitude to both players and ITS OWN CONTENT.

I think I remember this whole thing, and I wasn't particularly opposed to it since it wasn't mounts only available via the Store. But this is just funny. "Quick, get some synonyms for the mounts and put them in anyway, even after we said we wouldn't!". Are we sure it looks the same as the Steed of Many Colours?

Also, I just did a search for the phrase "Steed of Shifting Hues" and got zero results. Nobody has mentioned it on the other forum at all?

That pic has been the visual reference so far, though I reckon after the patched servers are back up it will draw more mentions by name as screenshots will be shared around. 

Even if its color scheme is altered (say, deep colors instead of the original pastel tones), the very concept of..."shifting hues" is such a painfully obvious ripoff of raid steed it is indeed comical. Literally word-for-word synonyms, even the steed icon is identical. Because picking a new original name for this steed to better hide its origin is... what's that whimper over there... yes, SSG intern, thinking hurts.

So it's not only a blatant rip-off of the deed version, but it's also technically another Store-only mount. Well, they are Turbine 2.0 after all.

Cordovan and Severlin giving the standard "We will look into this and see what can be done."  Which is precisely what they said prior to promising to remove it from the game entirely.  Lying hypocrites.....

The very name of the steed implies that it was a deliberate move, and a calculated "Fuck you suckers!!!" to players' feedback.

It ought to be called the "Steed of True Colors,", because SSG has finally shown them to what's left of the anemic playerbase.  Fingers crossed this finally sinks them, and the IP can be free from this egregious tyranny.

10 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Fingers crossed this finally sinks them, and the IP can be free from this egregious tyranny.

I highly doubt that, considering there's been much, much worse done before and nothing happened then, either. Things like them promising a free raid to everyone, then selling it to people in Isengard (Draigoch).

5 hours ago, Doro said:

I highly doubt that, considering there's been much, much worse done before and nothing happened then, either. Things like them promising a free raid to everyone, then selling it to people in Isengard (Draigoch).

Amazing how holding it back helped fix all the bugs, right?

16 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

It ought to be called the "Steed of True Colors,", because SSG has finally shown them to what's left of the anemic playerbase.  Fingers crossed this finally sinks them, and the IP can be free from this egregious tyranny.

Amen to that.

In light of a recent forum banning spree targeting the min/max number-crunchers (aka players who actually know class mechanics and contribute constructive data - any self-respecting MMO's coveted audience), it's abundantly clear SSG is barely keeping afloat holding on to the IP like drowning man to a straw. All that's left are the narcissists using Lotro as platform for self-aggrandizement and using o-forums as punching dummy for their own mental health issues; may as well shut down all servers except Landroval.

But, it is what it is.

p.s. To be fair: I was wrong about my earlier Bullroarer thread getting deleted, my bad. It's still there and I must've overlooked it while trying to locate it. Can't find a way to edit this thread's title, but if the phrase "deletes thread" can be removed for sake of accuracy, please do.

On 7/18/2018 at 12:57 AM, Doro said:

Things like them promising a free raid to everyone, then selling it to people in Isengard (Draigoch).

I remember that first-hand.  That was a major lie, one that Ricky did everything he could to hide from public view (up to and including bans).

9 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

I remember that first-hand.  That was a major lie, one that Ricky did everything he could to hide from public view (up to and including bans).

That's what really grinds my gears about Turbine/SSG.  THAT is their answer for everything. 

Dissatisfied with gold farmer spam?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with being lied to about the European datacenters?  Ban.  Dissatisfied about the American datacenters being downgraded instead of upgraded?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with verified bugs reported promptly and visibly on Bullroarer making it into live regardless, and never being addressed?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with the frequent CTDs in Minas Tirith despite owning hardware more than capable of rendering it?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with SSG dragging their feet on "researching" a 64-bit client upgrade?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with SSG grooming children to gamble?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with a Community Relations Manager who doesn't even pretend to give two shits about the community?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with developers who don't even play the game they're employed to develop?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with a Z-List gaming studio holding the Tolkien IP hostage while they milk the teats of whales (or quite possibly SSG employees pulling a fast one on the shareholders) to keep profit margins in the black on paper as hundreds of players abandon the game daily?  Ban.  Dissatisfied with the white knight shills who are more than likely SSG employees attempting to deflect dissatisfaction and valid criticism as they choke on Severlin/Cordovan's urgent members?  Ban.

I see the same thing all the time on Reddit.  If you're not part of the circlejerk echochamber………………………..Ban.  And that's not how it's supposed to be.

SSG manipulation isn't done here with this. What they have done is create a false sense of demand by their relaxed statement on how they are choosing to deal with this. Those who have the mount get to keep it. Those who don't act likely before Tuesday will be SOL. Then the money grab comes into existence. I say it will magically appear at the LotRo store for sale. I believe this was the intent all along. If I am wrong well then I'm wrong. If not expect more manipulation along the same path.

I don't have the mount from the box and couldn't give two shits about wanting it. I have the meta deed horse so they can go fuck themselves on that account. It didn't go passed my notice the new mount is the old Moors horse for rank 9. For that they can shove a blender up their asses and turn it on high. I played nearly every night back in SoA for two years to get that horse.

64bit put on hold. Lol I saw that coming a galaxy away. PvMP remains stagnant for at least 6 more months. BTW I expect some lame ass reason in the future for how they will have to shelf pvmp improvements even after the new years starts.

Player numbers continue to drop.

The implosion is eminent. I want to know when so I can laugh at them. 

19 hours ago, Splay said:

SSG manipulation isn't done here with this. What they have done is create a false sense of demand by their relaxed statement on how they are choosing to deal with this. Those who have the mount get to keep it. Those who don't act likely before Tuesday will be SOL. Then the money grab comes into existence. I say it will magically appear at the LotRo store for sale. I believe this was the intent all along. If I am wrong well then I'm wrong. If not expect more manipulation along the same path.

I don't have the mount from the box and couldn't give two shits about wanting it. I have the meta deed horse so they can go fuck themselves on that account. It didn't go passed my notice the new mount is the old Moors horse for rank 9. For that they can shove a blender up their asses and turn it on high. I played nearly every night back in SoA for two years to get that horse.

64bit put on hold. Lol I saw that coming a galaxy away. PvMP remains stagnant for at least 6 more months. BTW I expect some lame ass reason in the future for how they will have to shelf pvmp improvements even after the new years starts.

Player numbers continue to drop.

The implosion is eminent. I want to know when so I can laugh at them. 

It's all about maximizing revenue with the least amount of work.  They are probably subsidized by whales that spend 5 grand or more year on garbage.