LOTROCommunity
Splay

Who owns Lord of the Rings Online?

Turbine, Sony, WB, DBG, any of them or all of them? This is a current and ongoing question lately due to the Renovo, DBG connection err umm denied connection. I bring this to attention for this reason. I recently used the remainder of my LP to make a transfer. In my email I found a link at the bottom of the transfer page for completing the process from SSG. When I placed my arrow on the link and it gave an address that showed SSG but when I clicked the link, I viewed this.

https://policies.warnerbros.com/privacy/en-us/html/privacy_en-us_1.0.0.html

The email I read shows at the bottom left a copyright  and logo from Turbine and WB dated 2005-2015 and to the bottom right the link above. Note the date revision for the above link. Updated: December 8, 2017. I haven't SS'd my email mainly because to do it would show very little that I wouldn't choose to black out of personal information I'd want kept private. Same goes for the external link of my transaction.

Interesting revision update date. Coincidentally around the time of the other nonsense directly and indirectly implicating associations with a Russian who the U.S. has had his U.S. assets frozen. I'm not suggesting the two are connected but the date does seem relative.

Being that the transfer was placed through the ingame store I did not SS it or find any links to it. I could have put it through an external browser but didn't have any insight to be aware I would find Turbine and WB associations still attached to SSG or the Lord of the Rings Online.

I found this transaction leaving questions in my mind concerning the uncertainty of the question and the known answers. Who owns LotRO?

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Splay said:

Turbine, Sony, WB, DBG, any of them or all of them? This is a current and ongoing question lately due to the Renovo, DBG connection err umm denied connection. I bring this to attention for this reason. I recently used the remainder of my LP to make a transfer. In my email I found a link at the bottom of the transfer page for completing the process from SSG. When I placed my arrow on the link and it gave an address that showed SSG but when I clicked the link, I viewed this.

https://policies.warnerbros.com/privacy/en-us/html/privacy_en-us_1.0.0.html

The email I read shows at the bottom left a copyright  and logo from Turbine and WB dated 2005-2015 and to the bottom right the link above. Note the date revision for the above link. Updated: December 8, 2017. I haven't SS'd my email mainly because to do it would show very little that I wouldn't choose to black out of personal information I'd want kept private. Same goes for the external link of my transaction.

Interesting revision update date. Coincidentally around the time of the other nonsense directly and indirectly implicating associations with a Russian who the U.S. has had his U.S. assets frozen. I'm not suggesting the two are connected but the date does seem relative.

Being that the transfer was placed through the ingame store I did not SS it or find any links to it. I could have put it through an external browser but didn't have any insight to be aware I would find Turbine and WB associations still attached to SSG or the Lord of the Rings Online.

I found this transaction leaving questions in my mind concerning the uncertainty of the question and the known answers. Who owns LotRO?

Any thoughts?

As far as I know, SSG owns LotRO, but they're actually licensing the IP from Middle Earth Enterprises (or is it Tolkein Estates?).

The game is now developed and maintained by Standing Stone Games; development is funded by Daybreak Games, who also acts as the publisher (supposedly handling advertising and marketing research).

Sierra Online originally developed the game in the late 90's, but they fell on hard times and were purchased by Vevendi Games. Vevendi dismantled Sierra and eventually partnered with Turbine to continue developing the game (as Middle Earth Online). By 2005, Vevendi had sold the rights to Turbine. Turbine was then purchased by Warner Brothers in 2010.

It's very likely you'll find documentation containing the names of each of the former owners all throughout their site. They have not bothered to keep the main website up to date (though Cordovan has said recently that they are taking a look at things); they certainly are not going to keep other materials up to date. I doubt no one working for SSG now even knows where those materials/documents are stored or how to update them.

It is my belief Warner Bros. owns the RPGMMO Lord of the Rings Online. I also think WB is still paying for the IP license to have LotRO active.

Turbine sold themselves out to WB for a loan amounting to peanuts. So Turbine only developed the game after being bought. When WB made the decision for Turbine to focus on Mobile games it was then SSG came into being. SSG existed for nearly two years before they came onto the stage as an "Indie development team". SSG claimed they work in a new location which was mostly false. It looks more like Turbine sublet them space within their own existing offices. SSG is nothing more than a subcontracted company paid by WB. SSG gets help from Turbine in any manor they are willing to pay for as far as resources and even aspects that go beyond game development. DBG is just as SSG claims and nothing more, a publisher. With my assertion WB still owns LotRO, DBG contributes nothing in the way of finances or acquiring and maintaining the IP license. I have read nothing that contradicts this scenario.

I started the thread because there may have been things I was, or am unaware of and in light of DBG problems the situation becomes even more clouded. With this lack of clarity and the hidden realities it becomes more questionable about who owns, and for how long this shitshow LotRO will exist. SSG has to answer to and show profits to someone and I don't think it is DBG. I didn't forget that Severlin on a live stream said his boss was a part of DBG. That could very well be true but it doesn't mean the this same person is the boss of SSG the company. Severlin's supposed title is Executive Director. It doesn't mean much to me, its just a title but it could create a distinction for business. I see Severlin as they go between who has the inner workings experience that was once Turbine's domain delegated to him by WB to to do business with DBG.

I see no reason why WB would give up the licensing rights which are part of one of the biggest licensing entities in the entertainment medium realm.

All this leads to how long can LotRo survive? SSG has screwed up again and again. Almost every week something occurs that stirs anger within its playerbase. Each remedy to rectify mistakes alienates a small section of the very same playerbase. Also having SSG virtually change the games focus to the "NOW" quick and easy content for the casual player, means they are sacrificing PVE Raiders, PvMP players who were for years the heart that held the community together. The solo-centric atmosphere has degraded the quality of content created challenges, also the past knowledge of existing challenges are for the most part lost in that same history. The games playerbase has been on a slow downward slide since SSG took control except one brief moment when Mordor launched. Lowest total since when trait trees 1st came out and the lame content of HD era. The difference between now and then is WB no longer bear the burden to maintain LotRO in finances or development. SSG does and they are imploding. Their only momentary salvation imo at this point is what they are exploiting at this very moment. Festivals, Festivals what in the fuck! Yuletide festivals in July! I highly doubt Festivals are what will keep the bills paid, so I wonder how can they think it will. They damn sure better have another project in the front burning while they let LotRo simmer away into steam because if the don't they are fucked as SSG.

The PvMP community is openly irate even though they are a much smaller community than years past. Cordoban is vanning usernames each week now on the forums. Most don't care because they use f2p accounts to do this. What I don't get is how Cordoban and SSG just sluff off the PvMP community like they are old dead skin and to be so coy and pompous about it. Cordoban better be damn sure some of these players don't show up in Indiana next week and embarrass SSG in a way the damage control will not suffice. I expect soon some of the PvMPers will trash the chat in his live streams on Friday's. Mainly because Cordoban is just spewing out BS week after week about the status of PvMP development. Would SSG deserve such? Perhaps and rightfully so for deceptive waylaying paying costumers.

If I am correct about my assertion WB still owns LotRo and SSG flounders, WB won't care, nor will Turbine, and least of all DBG and its Russian associates. What that leaves is a player base of loyal people who for years got shit on time and time again just to get flushed down the toilet.

So, nothing much different than the previous couple years before SSG came along...

On 7/31/2018 at 10:41 AM, Splay said:

It is my belief Warner Bros. owns the RPGMMO Lord of the Rings Online. I also think WB is still paying for the IP license to have LotRO active.

Warner bros. is no longer part of LOTRO in anyway shape or form. game is run by SSG and published by DBG. if WB had any part there would be logo for it which there is not... also when you first start the game you get the daybreak games license agreement. so there is no proof that it isn't DBG and that WB run it, cause they don't run it....

Oh but there is and more than one. You just haven't looked in the right places. Ofc there is a DBG agreement. How could there not be for the company who publishes LotRO?

As you yourself has said. It is run by SSG. That in no way means ownership. Again, DGB is the publisher. It is not a given they own LotRO. That's just your assumption.

By your assertion its like saying Microsoft owned Ultima online because they were its publisher. Everyone knows that is and never was a truth.

If you have something more concrete than this by all means put it forth. It is why I created the thread and I stand by what I said.