LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

Athlon Games is partnering with Middle-earth Enterprises to develop new MMORPG based on LOTR

50 minutes ago, Doro said:

"a free-toplay"

the only silver lining to that, is that it's being done by the same folks that handle Warframe. 

soo potentially an LOTRO 2.0?

aXlnapG.png

by the same makers of warframe...

here is a look at a 10 month old video of open world warframe:

as always, wait and see...  but potentially interesting, definitely.

1 hour ago, Papi said:

the only silver lining to that, is that it's being done by the same folks that handle Warframe. 

9 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

by the same makers of warframe...

just a quick browse, but technically Le You Technologies is the holding company behind a portfolio of studios...

Warframe is made by:

https://www.digitalextremes.com/

a Canadian Studio in London Ontario

Athlon games is a different Developer Studio:

http://www.athlongames.com/

... Burbank, California

no actual games as of yet.  regardless, not same Dev. team.  🤨

so vid above of warframe is indicative of nothing really.  time will tell.

Having played a lot of Warframe... I'm not sure how well they'd handle a LotRO MMO as a lot of the systems in that game get dev time, then dropped, and getting DE to address balance issues can be frustrating... especially with stuff that is causing balance issues.  Let's not even get into how much of a shitshow archwing is....

It's great that DE is on Warframe... and it's good that Warframe actually showed how a F2P model works, but unless the devs can get the good faith of the players to sustain people through Middle Earth, I don't see a LotRO 2 being that good if it's done Warframe style because Warframe won't work if the players aren't backing the studio.

Of course, that may change when Fortuna releases (which is the second open world zone after the Plains).

Edit:

And DE is also prone to releasing some pretty killer soundtracks, like this song for Fortuna:

On 9/7/2018 at 12:03 AM, Almagnus1 said:

Having played a lot of Warframe... I'm not sure how well they'd handle a LotRO MMO ...

not Digital Extremes project.  will be Althon Games.

they even updated the website with...

A MAP Graphic

still can't wrap my head around announcing anything this early out...  almost feels like a troll. 

coldfish.

9 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

not Digital Extremes project.  will be Althon Games.

they even updated the website with...

A MAP Graphic

still can't wrap my head around announcing anything this early out...  almost feels like a troll. 

coldfish.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.

Maybe SZC is not happy with how Turbine/SSG have bungled the MMO license?

I mean, this Steam usage definitely doesn't look good for LotRO's health: https://steamcharts.com/app/212500#All

Either way, for a Warframe style F2P game to work, the devs need to have enough stones to do something like this weekly, and also not be afraid of showing all the good (and bad) which means occasionally the dev team gets thrown under the bus by the community manager showing off all the bugs in the current dev build (like at about 32 minutes into the stream):

I don't know how many studios are THAT unafraid of showing the community exactly what they're working on.  That also shows just how different the DE/community relationship is which is probably why the Warframe F2P model works for DE, but likely can't be replicated elsewhere.