LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

NANTWORKS MAKES STRATEGIC INVESTMENT IN DAYBREAK GAME COMPANY AND ESTABLISHES VIDEO GAME PUBLISHING JOINT VENTURE, NANTG MOBILE

https://www.daybreakgames.com/press/daybreak-games-nantworks-joint-venture

NantWorks, a diversified holding company, today announced that it has made a strategic investment in Daybreak Game Company, a leading developer and publisher of multiplayer online games. In connection with the investment, NantWorks has obtained a controlling interest in a new joint venture with Daybreak, NantG Mobile, LLC, which has been formed to develop and publish mobile versions of Daybreak’s current games – H1Z1 and EverQuest – and to build and publish video games across all platforms. In addition, the JV will now assume control and management of the current PC H1Z1 Battle Royale game. Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, CEO and Chairman of NantWorks and Owner and Executive Chairman of the Los Angeles Times, will join Daybreak’s board of directors.

Daybreak Game Company is the developer and publisher of the highly popular, first-ever standalone battle royale game, H1Z1®: Battle Royale, which is currently available on PC and has amassed more than 12 million players on PlayStation 4 to date. Its games portfolio includes the EverQuest MMO franchise, PlanetSide 2, DC Universe Online, The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online. The San Diego-based gaming studio is privately owned by Jason Epstein, who serves as Chairman of the Board. 

“Daybreak Games is pleased to have NantWorks as our investment partner to support and accelerate the growth of our company,” said Epstein. “Working with NantWorks, NantStudio and Dr. Soon-Shiong will allow us to maintain our cutting-edge development in the video game industry and to benefit from Nant’s technological expertise and reach as a resource.”

“I am delighted that our software capabilities at NantWorks, together with the creative expertise and infrastructure at NantStudio – which includes our low latency fiber network, will help accelerate the development of the platform at Daybreak, a company with history dating back to its origins as Sony Online Entertainment,” said Soon-Shiong. “Their achievements in the development of gaming technology have contributed greatly to this emerging field of virtual sports and we view this medium as an important media engagement engine.”

“Daybreak’s well tested game engine currently running Everquest and H1Z1, combined with the proprietary next generation mobile game engine which we will develop and launch in the joint venture, are platforms which will enable unprecedented scale and provide enjoyment to millions of simultaneous players,” said John Wiacek, NantG Mobile’s Head of Game Engine Development.

NantWorks is currently planning construction of an LA Times Center adjacent to the new Los Angeles Times headquarters in El Segundo. The LA Times Center will include an event space, LA Times production studio and e-sports arenas with fiber inter-connectivity at a global scale. The LA Times Center will serve as a convening hub for the community and a venue where NantG Mobile will establish e-sports leagues for multiple game titles, starting with Z1 Battle Royale, a revitalized PC-based version of H1Z1: Battle Royale.

Separately, the Los Angeles Times will soon be adding coverage of e-sports competitions in its Sports section.

“The growth of virtual sports has been explosive,” said Times Executive Editor Norman Pearlstine. “We look forward to covering all the major games companies, including Daybreak.”

# # #

About Daybreak Game Company

Daybreak Games® is a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games and emergent gameplay best known for its blockbuster hits and franchises, including the original standalone battle royale game, H1Z1®, EverQuest®, EverQuest®II, PlanetSide®2 and DC Universe™ Online. Daybreak also publishes The Lord of the Rings Online™ and Dungeons & Dragons Online® for Standing Stone Games. The forward-thinking publisher, developer and creator of compelling online entertainment for a variety of gaming platforms is headquartered in San Diego, and has development studios in Austin, TX; Boston, MA; and South Korea. To learn more, visit: DaybreakGames.com.

About NantG Mobile

NantG Mobile, LLC, a member of the NantWorks family of companies, is focused on the nexus of technology, entertainment and gaming. Utilizing existing NANT technologies, NantG Mobile seeks to make a difference in the game industry and eSports, leveraging NANT’s existing IP and creative problem solving to create fresh possibilities for new gameplay, improved quality of games, and increased fair play. NantG Mobile seeks to become a leading innovator of technology and gameplay in the game industry.

About NantStudio

NantStudio, a NantWorks company, has the only next-generation soundstage easily configurable to both traditional and virtual production with a pre-lit 360° green screen and compatible with real-time compositing. The company’s plug and play technology allows the digital and physical world to merge in real time. NantStudio’s grid comes pre-rigged with tracking markers that are compatible with a variety of virtual production systems. Clients are able to bring their own gear or work with one of NantStudio’s trusted partners to access the virtual production integrated pipeline.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:55 AM, Almagnus1 said:

So, give LotRO about two more years tops and then it gets offlined?

nosam9, is that you? You usually give it 6 months.

7 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Fundin, is that you?  You never seem to be able to see an end to the game?

9 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

Fundin, is that you?  You never seem to be able to see an end to the game?

I'm sure it will come sometime. Maybe after the Sea of Rhun update, or Far Harad - the Later Years update or maybe The 4th Age: Eldarion's Passing update. Who knows?

People reading the tea leaves and predicting the end sometime soon never seem to reassess the situation when they're wrong, I've noticed.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:06 PM, FundinStrongarm said:

What happenned with SWG and SWTOR?

Do you think LotRO will be able to sustain itself with a new shiny LotR MMO that (hopefully) has none of the technical issues that LotRO has?

Personally, I don't think it will so I'm guessing that the new MMO will be out in about 2 years and LotRO will go offline shortly after that.

Btw, who's nosam9?

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

What happenned with SWG and SWTOR?

Do you think LotRO will be able to sustain itself with a new shiny LotR MMO that (hopefully) has none of the technical issues that LotRO has?

Personally, I don't think it will so I'm guessing that the new MMO will be out in about 2 years and LotRO will go offline shortly after that.

Btw, who's nosam9?

You could be right. Let's see what kind of game comes out before we get ahead of ourselves though.

nosam9 was an old poster who regularly predicted the closing of LotRO about 6-9 months in the future, at least as long as 4 years ago. He used to crop up fairly often to pronounce his doom. Similar to the claims that some legal entanglement will shutter the game but way more regularly.

2 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

You could be right. Let's see what kind of game comes out before we get ahead of ourselves though.

nosam9 was an old poster who regularly predicted the closing of LotRO about 6-9 months in the future, at least as long as 4 years ago. He used to crop up fairly often to pronounce his doom. Similar to the claims that some legal entanglement will shutter the game but way more regularly.

Eh, honestly, aside from a new MMO sucking away their userbase, the only other existential threat is the EU's lootbox stuff.

That and their tech debt, but as most of the "gamers" that play LotRO run it on toasters, I honestly don't think it's going to be much of an issue aside from natural hardware attrition.  That said, I'd really like to finally play through Minas Tirith without having to make the game look like garbage so that I don't spend more time loading than playing.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:02 AM, Almagnus1 said:

Eh, honestly, aside from a new MMO sucking away their userbase...

I don't think this is as big a threat as some think. Those who got dissatisfied with LOTRO and left long ago may well try the new MMO. But those long term LOTRO players who have invested a huge amount of time and energy into the SSG game are not going to through in the towel just like that. Many aren't "gamers" in so far as they just play LOTRO and are used to the way that game does things, despite the fact that it has the game mechanics of a decade old MMO.

I would hazard a guess that the new Middle-earth based MMO will have all the modern trappings of the genre, such as action combat, as well as more flexible class and build designs. ESO springs to mind as a potential role model. I can't see a bunch of LOTRO faithful making an easy transition to such a radically different game environment.

It believe it ultimately comes down to whether ME are happy for two Tolkien based MMOs to exist concurrently. If they are then I think they'll simply appeal to different market sectors and they be just a small amount of crossover with gamers that play both MMOs.

11 hours ago, Moderate Peril said:

It believe it ultimately comes down to whether ME are happy for two Tolkien based MMOs to exist concurrently. If they are then I think they'll simply appeal to different market sectors and they be just a small amount of crossover with gamers that play both MMOs.

Prolly reading too much into this, but I'm wondering if ME isn't as their not having SSG create the MMO especially since there are well known technical limitatins and SSG appears to be doing nothing more than paying lipservice to the issues without actually fixing anything.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, Moderate Peril said:

I don't think this is as big a threat as some think. Those who got dissatisfied with LOTRO and left long ago may well try the new MMO. But those long term LOTRO players who have invested a huge amount of time and energy into the SSG game are not going to through in the towel just like that. Many aren't "gamers" in so far as they just play LOTRO and are used to the way that game does things, despite the fact that it has the game mechanics of a decade old MMO

I must be part of the exception, then.  Having played ESO in the past year, I find that combat system to be less rigid than LOTRO's.  If a new MMO had play mechanics that were an obvious improvement, I'd strongly consider moving, despite my lifetime investment (which has already paid for itself several times over).

My only hesitation would be the ownership of that MMO by south Asian interests, which have a different business model than American and European game companies.  I got burned during the City of Heroes shutdown by NCSoft (at the game's peak, not its decline), and I'm not eager to repeat that experience.  I love seeing Tolkien's world in digital form, but that wouldn't override my standards.