LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
CHRISTOPHER POSNER

Barrow-downs death magic?

When my 19th-level hobbit hunter first entered the Barrow-Downs (by the North Barrows Pass), he soon found his morale quickly draining away for no apparent reason (he had not yet met any creatures in the Barrow-Downs), until he was incapacitated and woke up in the middle of the Old Forest.

I cannot find anything about this effect in the literature related to the game. Is it supposed to be some sort of Barrow-Wightish magic, or is it just a malfunction? If it is magic, how are you supposed to protect yourself from it?

I've never heard of anyone just dying for no reason in the Barrow-downs. The only thing I've had that came close was when I jumped off a small cliff and landed where an ore deposit was also spawning, which for some reason launched me so high into the air it killed me as if I was falling.

11 hours ago, CHRISTOPHER POSNER said:

When my 19th-level hobbit hunter first entered the Barrow-Downs (by the North Barrows Pass), he soon found his morale quickly draining away for no apparent reason (he had not yet met any creatures in the Barrow-Downs), until he was incapacitated and woke up in the middle of the Old Forest.

I cannot find anything about this effect in the literature related to the game. Is it supposed to be some sort of Barrow-Wightish magic, or is it just a malfunction? If it is magic, how are you supposed to protect yourself from it?

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Were you getting a ton of dread?

Also, were you getting an AoE DoT from something?

I don't think it was dread, because my maximum morale was unchanged and I wasn't cowering. What sort of creature would cause that sort of damage?

1 hour ago, CHRISTOPHER POSNER said:

I don't think it was dread, because my maximum morale was unchanged and I wasn't cowering. What sort of creature would cause that sort of damage?

Did you eat any Barrow-brie?

There is an area (in the water?) near the Old Willow or thereabouts where you need to swim out to retrieve items for a quest. Best if you go back and forth (forward and backward) instead of trying to collect all the items at once. You lose morale quickly in certain parts of the water. Might be that way on the backside too. Might be that area?

(At least, I remember something like that from 6+ years ago... Not sure if it still exists.)

I thought they did away with that mechanic for the Old Willow - you just loose power not endurance I think