LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Possible LotRO GDPR Violation

The entire email kerfuffle that LotRO did recently (where a bunch of lifers were emailed that their subs had expired) got me thinking:

• SSG is not disclosing, nor letting us remove any credit cards that are associated with LotRO from outside of the game.  That's quite possibly an EU GDPR violation.

Any thoughts?

As far as I know, GDPR means that SSG has to both allow customers to retrieve a copy of ALL of the data the company has stored for them (which must be delivered in 1 month), as well as giving the customer the "right to be forgotten" and have said data deleted from their records. The latter is limited to data the company doesn't actively need to maintain a product/service adequately, so you can't just go "delete my data" but you keep playing, because they need at least some info to keep your account going. Your credit card information isn't required to play, so that should be deleted immediately.

The problem is that GDPR is so fucking convoluted, it's hard to figure out what's a loophole and what's non-compliance. Anyone pushing to fuck SSG over with it is going to need to take it to a legal route pretty quick, or they'll just brush it off as a bluff. I'm sure they're being non-compliant in a whole host of areas (as US companies often to, and then just say "oops we're sorry" when they get found out, while continuing to do the same shady shit in other areas), so I doubt it would be a fruitless venture.

I can guarantee that at least one of the tech titans takes GDPR very seriously, despite being a US company.  As far as SSG would go, as they are non-compliant that could mean a really hefty fine from the EU for them.  As long as they are willing to at least show us the data and then allow us to selectively delete it, that would be fine... it's just I"m not keen on a company having my data without disclosing what all they have - regardless who they are.