LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Altreg01

Is Mordor anticlimatic maybe? <slight spoilers inside>

*******If you havent played Mordor and plan on playing it please dont read on********

I havent seen anything here about the Mordor exp besides some release notes.  With a character at level 105 from last year and enough Turbine Points in the bank I was able to purchase the Mordor expansion.  I was extremely surprised and somewhat upset at how early in the game flow and how easy the "destroying" of the ring event happened.  Im in a semi social kin so game play is fun as are my kinmates but in now way shape or form was I ready for this event nor did I know it happened so fast and painlessly.  It was the one thing I really ever wanted to do in Lotro since I stopped playing and to have it happen when it did was quite a stomach punch.  I have kinmates at the cap doing 120 endgame stuff and actually thought they were still working their way towards the ring event.  

Anybody else taken back by this? Im glad this didnt cost me any money, I'd surely be upset if the "climax" of this game were to be in the first area of the expansion and I actually paid real world dollars for it.  Im still going to trek through Mordor at a leisurely pace and finish up, but the fact that what I am playing for happened quickly and easily in the beginning still gnaws at me. After 11 years this is the best they could do?

Edited by Altreg01
Typos
  • Like 1

Wait, the actual destruction of the Ring wasn't some sort of event or server-wide objective? I thought people were mucking about when they said it was just a cutscene.

No, he's right.  It was a blink-and-you'll miss it and/or hope that the cinematic doesn't glitch out on you kindof thing.

In fact it was part of the still-free-at-that-point epic story, I never bought the Mordor expansion and I still got to run it.

In Guild Wars 2, this would be a repeatable meta with achievements out the wazoo and people would still be running it today.

In the FFXIV style of things, this would be an end of expansion event where you've already gone through several instances JUST TO GET TO THAT POINT with large amounts of MSQ quests tying the narrative together.

Stuff like this is why I'm glad I parked at Minas Tirith awaiting crash resolution all those years ago.  As the x64 client is vaporware, at least I'll not have the destruction of the ring ruined for me.

It was entirely anti-climatic. The sale price of Mordor also was the point where SSG turned the corner and where the trouble with lootboxes, black keys, ash, etc. started. Plus gameplay, at least for me, is 'completely up in the air'... what or who are we fighting in Mordor and beyond? Yes, I know SSG gives a nice explanation for it, but does it ring real/true? For me it doesn't. I say, players are fighting SSG.

Look at what they are doing now, with the newest addition to the game, released this week: the game is, as predicted when f2p started, unrecognizable. Game play directs to the store. Quest content is so little that players can't reach level 120 without heavy use of xp excelerators. Rep tokens are now capped and are for level 120 items at kindred level only. But players either max out the number of rep tokens long before they reach level 120 and kindred, so the use of xp excelerators is stimulated there too.

The AH has no armor drops between level 116 and 120 for sale, but plenty of the new loot boxes. Keys can only be obtained from the store - have been completely removed as quest rewards. Drop rates of armour within the raids are ridiculously low and what does drop in T1 and T2 can't be 'moted'. SSG is trying to pull players' focus away from enjoying end game to 'mote hunting' and has made that a very slow process. Players are posting on the forums - the enjoyment of the game is gone.

Also, SSG thought it a good idea to go back to all earlier levels and adjust: monster strength and all armour stats. This last thing didn't go very well and now there are players running around who are up to three times as strong as they used to be. There are also items that drop without a minimum equipment level, which means a level 5 can equip items meant for level 105.

There are a number of capped kins - at level 50, 65, etc. Their game experience has been completely ruined. With their 'updated' armor, on level, they clear out entire 6 (maybe even 12) men raids on their own. They are unequipping their jewelry to get a game experience that approaches 'normal'.

SSG = too greedy for their own good and now has a game that is utter chaos. They have shot themselves in the foot.

As I mentioned above, at the introduction of the store, someone posted on the forums: 'when they are done with it, you won't recognize the game'? We have seen it slip and slide over the years. Many of you have quit over it and we have now hit the lowest point ever. I am sure it will go lower still.

• Like 1

All that, plus they even pissed off the people who just make characters to stay in the Shire.  Someone went a little too happy with the cut-and-paste button on shrubbery and other graphic frippery and even the hobbits are up in arms.

Not kidding, by the way.  The last I checked the main thread on it was 4 pages long.

It's really kinda sad, IMO.  That's another reason why I had stopped playing, as I will generally work towards being well geared, but Turbine/SSG has made it so that being well geared took far too long, and you were stupidly OP to the point of one-shotting mobs on landscape when you were that well geared, which trivialized the landscape content.  Throw in repeated issues with kin stability mostly caused by others walking away from the game (can't do group content if the kin count keeps dropping), and it's just a recipe for burnout...especially when your server was once one of the big three North American ones.  There's other stuff too (including one of the most outrageous things I have ever seen in an MMO which directly leads to me being in a Ramble On video during ROI).

I'm hoping that someone with the license shutters this thing once the other LotR MMO goes online, as perhaps that announcement is really just a warning shot from the license holders on how badly SSG has screwed the pooch on this one..

3 hours ago, warspeech said:

All that, plus they even pissed off the people who just make characters to stay in the Shire.  Someone went a little too happy with the cut-and-paste button on shrubbery and other graphic frippery and even the hobbits are up in arms.

Not kidding, by the way.  The last I checked the main thread on it was 4 pages long.

The bushes will be removed/trimmed at a next .1/2/3 patch.

What I found hilarious were the complaints about sunflowers being planted in lines too straight and with heads turning 'the wrong way'.

It was total shit and done so poorly so they could rush out the "Black Book of Bore more."  "Now that that fucking ring is destroyed we can make our own epic quest line and charge money for it!"  Of course you wouldn't know it's shit due to the consortium of Cordovan fellators.   News flash people, he's not a rock god, he's a snarky middle aged douche with a pony tail.  Anyway, rant over, sorry forum dwellers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amenhir said:

It was total shit and done so poorly so they could rush out the "Black Book of Bore more."  "Now that that fucking ring is destroyed we can make our own epic quest line and charge money for it!"  Of course you wouldn't know it's shit due to the consortium of Cordovan fellators.   News flash people, he's not a rock god, he's a snarky middle aged douche with a pony tail.  Anyway, rant over, sorry forum dwellers.

In the past, with an expansion, the notice would be: you pay for a, b, c, and x, y, and z are free for everyone.

They don't do that anymore. You pay for everything. Yes, you get a level increase and a crafting tier, but the newly released quests do not give xp to max, and the crafting tier is almost empty, you have to earn useful recipes.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:21 PM, Tarantula said:

In the past, with an expansion, the notice would be: you pay for a, b, c, and x, y, and z are free for everyone.

They don't do that anymore. You pay for everything. Yes, you get a level increase and a crafting tier, but the newly released quests do not give xp to max, and the crafting tier is almost empty, you have to earn useful recipes.

I like what Warframe does:

Here's a quest that's free, all you need to do is meet the ingame prereqs (which are generally prior quests and occasionally Solar system progress).  Granted, if LotRO could pull off a FULLY VOICE ACTED quest complete with mocap and proper facial animation, then maybe I'd let it slide that they only have ~20 quests (if that) in the game.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, Amenhir said:

News flash people, he's not a rock god, he's a snarky middle aged douche with a pony tail.  Anyway, rant over, sorry forum dwellers.

❤️