LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

We are excited to announce a new way to experience The Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Worlds! Relive the tales of Middle-earth, chapter by chapter, visiting iconic locations and adventuring with new friends - or reconnecting with old ones - on the path of Frodo, Gandalf, and the Fellowship of the Ring.

Join us this fall on a Legendary World and make a fresh start with a brand new character; see Tolkien's bustling realm anew, whether for your first or fiftieth time. Initially, the Legendary World will begin at the very start of the game and run through Angmar, then open new regions and levels over time. Relive the legend: where everyone is here and the story is now.

All that you need to know about this turd:

Do I need a subscription to play on the Legendary server?

The Legendary server is available to VIP subscribers along with Lifetime VIP subscribers.

Will I be able to access the LOTRO Store on the Legendary server?

Yes, but some items may not be available until the Legendary server advances further in the Story / Level cap.

Will there be Trait trees?

Yes.

Can I play a Rune-keeper, Warden, or Beorning?

Yes.

Can I play a High-elf?

Yes.

Is there PvMP on the Legendary server?

There will be no PvMP available at launch.

For me, this seems to be another desperate attempt to get more subscriptions and generate more store sales with minimum required effort.

Link:

https://www.lotro.com/en/legendary

Not feeling it.  I  already have a stone of the tortoise.  Some people are trying to spin it as "everyone leveling together OMG!" but you can start a leveling kin now and do the same thing.  It's just the same old stuff (without PvMP),  but you have to be VIP or Lifetime.  Why bother?

Copying Rift and it didn't sound like it worked there either

I had a good time in SOA but often was behind the curve on the epic story finding it difficult to find groups (even though I was in a kin I didn't want to but them to drag my alts through the Trollshaws one more time - lol)

I don't remember it with all the rose colored glasses many seem to - it was good but not great - at least for me 

It's the perfect distractor from the U23 lootbox/key push and instance grind for gear.

It's not even an original SoA copy of the game.

I think they misunderstood when some players said they wanted a classic server.  I guess that's what happens when you supposedly "delete" the code for that stuff in one of your annual dumpster fires.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I think they misunderstood when some players said they wanted a classic server.  I guess that's what happens when you supposedly "delete" the code for that stuff in one of your annual dumpster fires.

Well said.

I was thinking about how I really wanted to grind all of my traits again. Christmas has come early!!

4 minutes ago, Altreg01 said:

I was thinking about how I really wanted to grind all of my traits again. Christmas has come early!!

You can buy those from the store. :-/

It sounds like an experiment to see how much people starting out completely new with no alts to help them out will be willing to buy stuff in the store to ease the way.

Giving them metrics on how to design things to make that decision even more attractive going forward.

What I'm looking forward to the most is the number of people that complain that it isn't vanilla lotro and it's just current lotro with a hard level cap.  You know those types, the ones that take to the forums the day after a festival because they didn't get to spend their tokens as there was no warning.  

26 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

What I'm looking forward to the most is the number of people that complain that it isn't vanilla lotro and it's just current lotro with a hard level cap.  You know those types, the ones that take to the forums the day after a festival because they didn't get to spend their tokens as there was no warning.  

You don't have to wait. There are too many people saying that already on the forums.

So instead of doing something that would help bring players back (like an x64 client), these clowns make a new server archetype?

I guess if you're floundering, flounder twice as hard is an improvement - amirite?

4 hours ago, Tarantula said:

You don't have to wait. There are too many people saying that already on the forums.

I don't mean those people.  I mean the ones that don't go to the forums and pony up the 15 bucks thinking they've found Lotropia.

I love the idea, I don't think the execution is that good ;)

edit: I think it will be extremely unbalanced.

12 hours ago, Thrabath said:

edit: I think it will be extremely unbalanced.

What do you think the optimal class will be?

On 10/24/2018 at 7:07 AM, Helmer_Blades said:

You can buy those from the store. 😕

Supposedly "limited" store here on the not so classic server 🤣

4 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

What do you think the optimal class will be?

Didn't someone auto-attack-only with a Champion with no deaths into the mid-40s?

Yep - he had a good write up here (imo) on how he did it and things he did and didn't do - can;t find it right now but I'll try to look for the thread tomorrow

I have a feeling much content is going to be trivialized, at least until SSG nerfs things back into place.  They might be doing this as a (very long overdue) rebalancing to attempt to streamline the stat system... but it's probably some way to jumpstart their financing IMO.

The biggest question for me is if you had to start all over again on a game, why start on a corpse like LotRO? The people who want to just faff about in low levels are already doing that. The people who want the original content won't get it. I doubt there are any actual raiders left, and even those have spent years getting their actual characters ready so wouldn't abandon them for a completely unconnected set. PvPers aren't included at all, not that current PvP works anyway. What few new players exist are being asked to pay when they can just get exactly the same game for free. And it's not exactly going to bring any old players back because the majority of old players gave up and stopped reading about the game years ago. I can't place the motive behind this.

Strange they have decided now is the time to roll this out when, especially as U23 further broke the low level difficulty such that L50s can now solo Uru/CD. Also strange that this completely came 'out of the blue' without really being hinted at any point.

If I was really cynical I'd say that perhaps the legacy server 'perpetual rotation' system is one of the ways SSG intends to maximise profits from store sales once the game goes in to full maintenance mode i.e no further content to be added.

Yeah, but I think they need to do a shitload of rebalancing. I maybe will try it, I was already considering starting a new character, and now there is a small chance there is balance in lower-lvl-content, but since I'm a lifer, they won't get any money from me.

14 hours ago, Doro said:

I can't place the motive behind this.

It's clear they are doing this for the extra $$.  Maybe the loot-boxes aren't bringing enough revenue in.  Plus, it's being done on the cheap.  The CM did a livestream and confirmed it's literally a copy and paste from what we see now on the live servers, just with a server forced level cap.  There is nothing "classic", "legendary" or "prime" about this.  It's a typical Turbine/SSG move.

• Like 1