LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

3 hours ago, Splay said:

Why would players pay to lag on JUST another LotRO server? The answer makes my head spin.

Even worse, just another LotRO server with even less in it than the free ones. "Let's just take everything we've already got, cut loads of it away, then slowly re-release the exact same thing and charge people for the pleasure!"

• Like 1

It's mind-boggling. 

But it is amusing seeing the threads of people who want to have riding disabled till 35, no quest tracker, fog of war back on the maps, leveling slowed, etc and to see the pushback from others who have a limit to just how much nostalgia they're willing to pay for.

They think they're going to get that "new MMO smell" from a barely held-together jalopy with bad tires and no spare in the trunk.

This is hilarious:

Well, ....., we wont see you on the new server. Hope you enjoy what you're doing..
Now, us on the other hand, will be playing there. New community. New economy. Fresh start. No inflation. Buddies drinking cocktails while killing spiders and bears for a few days.
To everyone else.. /cheers. See you there!

Response:

All of the above you mentioned you can just do on current live servers without paying. My post clearly is about showing that in it's current state, this 'Legendary Server' has nothing new to offer. I mean, look at the points you are giving for playing there...
- New community.. no.. same community, less people because servers will be split even more. People playing on live will likely see a further decrease in activity and quit.
- New economy.. no inflation...maybe for a few weeks.. where is the thought beyond 'ohmygoshnewserversoexcitingfr eshstart'? When people hit level cap in a week you will see.
- Killing bears and spiders with buddies.. something you really cant do on live...
Really you are proving my point and the view of many that wish to see a vanilla server worth playing and paying for. Name something with actual substance that this Legendary server will offer that live wont (and dont say SOA grouping fun because everyone knows that with the current builds and trait trees that Rift and many other raids can be done on level with a couple of people). Also there are kins that cap at level 50 and 65, why would you want to break up the community on live servers for this?

Here is a current full list of benefits for playing on the legendary server, please add to it if I am missing anything:
1 Dont have to use stone of the tortoise so get to equip something else in pocket slot.
2 Pending

Also, where does this stop? Do they really think people want to relive Rohan again, and the endless flower picking and the great lag of Minas Tirith? If you were a new player would you opt to pay to join a legendary server or just play on live for free? I know there are several die hard SSG fans with rose tinted glasses that will enjoy this server for a few months, but I do think from reading the forums and youtube comments etc on what the majority of the community is saying, it is pretty clear that this is not what we wanted.

===================

What I am expecting:

Massive competition to collect resources

Massive grouping to do those first quests in the starter areas and beyond - because who wants to stand in line to kill Pampraush? Who wants to wait in line anywhere at all? And if there is reduced xp, then everyone will have to complete every quest in every area. So.... much.... fun.... not!

Someone made the remark that the old way skills were done is still in game, and refered to Creepside. Is that so?

1 hour ago, Papi said:

They are releasing this Legendary...can we just start calling it Lackluster now?

Anywhoo...they are releasing this madness, meanwhile it looks like one person is in charge of fixing...well, everything?  https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668439-What-did-you-do-Vastin&p=7884626&posted=1#post7884626

"Everything's broken, but OMG we have a BlueName that's not MoL posting in the forums, how cool is that!!!!!!"

Oh, and there's pretty butterflies in the game now too, so there's that.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668464-Wow-butterflies!&p=7884507#post7884507

8 hours ago, warspeech said:

"Everything's broken, but OMG we have a BlueName that's not MoL posting in the forums, how cool is that!!!!!!"

Oh, and there's pretty butterflies in the game now too, so there's that.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668464-Wow-butterflies!&p=7884507#post7884507

I'm still laughing at the absurdity thread about butterflies, It's like the whole game is on the verge of crashing and some dimwit says "looky perty butterflies".

I'm not going to bust Vastin's nads. The guy is trying. Its just sad all the players know he is the only one doing the work.

There is no way they can release a new server at this point. No one with a decent head on their shoulders would do it dead line or not. I said back in March or April that if the game made it to the new year I would be surprised.

Yeah, I feel for Vastin too.  Is this someone who's been around on the team for a long time, does anyone know?  I get the feeling reading between the lines of those recent posts that Vastin's basically saying that the people who did the work before were lazy and/or clueless and just threw stuff together to get it to work without having any real understanding of the system or thought for the future.

When you think back to the remarks from Turbine employees on that one company review site, it makes a lot of sense seeing what a mess the code is in.

At least SSG hasn't done something like what Blizzard did with Diablo Immortal which is not only the new announcement for the Diablo franchise, but it was also the closer for the opening ceremony.

In case you missed it, here's the trailer - but be sure to check out the like:dislike ratio

In my opinion this so called "legendary" server is nothing but an insult, while it offers no real advantage over the old server, what the point of making another server while using the new code of lotro.

But those people deserve this, for years people tried to warn the company and the community about the path this game has taken. But we were ignored/banned and said the game is in perfect condition.

11 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

At least SSG hasn't done something like what Blizzard did with Diablo Immortal which is not only the new announcement for the Diablo franchise, but it was also the closer for the opening ceremony.

In case you missed it, here's the trailer - but be sure to check out the like:dislike ratio

That's what happens when you announce a follow up to Diablo III and then it turns out to be a mobile game.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:23 AM, warspeech said:

Yeah, I feel for Vastin too.  Is this someone who's been around on the team for a long time, does anyone know?  I get the feeling reading between the lines of those recent posts that Vastin's basically saying that the people who did the work before were lazy and/or clueless and just threw stuff together to get it to work without having any real understanding of the system or thought for the future.

When you think back to the remarks from Turbine employees on that one company review site, it makes a lot of sense seeing what a mess the code is in.

With a little search time after slogging through the credits would give a more specific time as to when he was brought on.

He is the low guy on the pole so he gets all the shit work Severlin doesn't want to deal with anymore.

Opening date: November 8 at noon. 

They are not ready for this.

Server name: Anor - this places the VIP server of course first in the server selection screen. 

Vastin's forum account is from January 2017.

So I'm going through the BlizzCon stuff on the streams, and something very relevant to the entire Legendary server (and for that matter the retro servers) is what Blizzard is doing with WoW Classic.  Essentially, if SSG does not have the Turbine code and data backups of the original SoA (or any prior version), then a retro server is basically impossible for LotRO.

It's a lot of attention to detail type work, as you not only have get the code running, but then make sure everything works as expected.  Given what we've seen with a 64 bit client, seeing a LotRO SoA client will never happen.

While I don't intend this to be a shill for WoW, but if you want to see the technical reasons behind it, the panel you are looking for is "Restoring History: Creating WoW Classic".

54 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

So I'm going through the BlizzCon stuff on the streams, and something very relevant to the entire Legendary server (and for that matter the retro servers) is what Blizzard is doing with WoW Classic.  Essentially, if SSG does not have the Turbine code and data backups of the original SoA (or any prior version), then a retro server is basically impossible for LotRO.

It's a lot of attention to detail type work, as you not only have get the code running, but then make sure everything works as expected.  Given what we've seen with a 64 bit client, seeing a LotRO SoA client will never happen.

While I don't intend this to be a shill for WoW, but if you want to see the technical reasons behind it, the panel you are looking for is "Restoring History: Creating WoW Classic".

They don't need old code.  They need to give a shit enough to write new code.  Creeps maintain the old trait system.  The only reason they would need old code is if they wanted to reintroduce old bugs.

49 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

They don't need old code.  They need to give a shit enough to write new code.  Creeps maintain the old trait system.  The only reason they would need old code is if they wanted to reintroduce old bugs.

They at least need the code for the traits, and how those worked - and also how the stats USED to work.  Then there's the original instances that they screwed up.

If that was pulled and never retained, the entire Freep trait system is going to be difficult to recreate as it was, let alone get somewhat close.  That said, as SSG doesn't have as dogged dedication to recreating SoA as Blizzard has with WoW 1.12's recreation, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

From new patchnotes:

Virtues will now cap based on your character level, while maintaining the current cap of 20. Through level 10, Virtues cap at a rank of 2. The cap increases by one rank every five character levels, reaching a maximum of 20 ranks at level 96. Virtues earned above your current max rank will apply once you reach an appropriate level (up to the absolute cap of 20).

Players are really mad about this because they have paid money for their virtues, either through tomes or Valar, or because they have invested a lot of time in raising virtues, sometimes even above level 20.

People are also upset because they see how the LS is already now affecting regular servers. SSG doesn't seem to care one bit.

9 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

From new patchnotes:

Virtues will now cap based on your character level, while maintaining the current cap of 20. Through level 10, Virtues cap at a rank of 2. The cap increases by one rank every five character levels, reaching a maximum of 20 ranks at level 96. Virtues earned above your current max rank will apply once you reach an appropriate level (up to the absolute cap of 20).

Players are really mad about this because they have paid money for their virtues, either through tomes or Valar, or because they have invested a lot of time in raising virtues, sometimes even above level 20.

People are also upset because they see how the LS is already now affecting regular servers. SSG doesn't seem to care one bit.

They're not mad enough.  For every 5 people that say they're pissed at SSG there is one person to call them a whiner and extol the taste of SSG's virtual dick.  That's the feedback they listen to, not the angry players.  They couldn't care less.

3 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

They're not mad enough.  For every 5 people that say they're pissed at SSG there is one person to call them a whiner and extol the taste of SSG's virtual dick.  That's the feedback they listen to, not the angry players.  They couldn't care less.

True. That and what people spend in the store.

1 minute ago, Tarantula said:

True. That and what people spend in the store.

"You guys suck and you're killing the game I love, hold on while I get my wallet"

2 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

"You guys suck and you're killing the game I love, hold on while I get my wallet"

Exactly. Plus: 'they've never been good at this, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt once again'.

• Like 1

The virtues should have been account wide from the very beginning the grind for those traits is pure pain and not fun, and can up to take few hours to get a single rank.

But no way they will change it now, those suckers will pay for virtues at the LS, And I wont be surprised if the characters/gear/stats will be nerfed so more people will be motivated to bu those from store.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, berry said:

The virtues should have been account wide from the very beginning the grind for those traits is pure pain and not fun, and can up to take few hours to get a single rank.

But no way they will change it now, those suckers will pay for virtues at the LS, And I wont be surprised if the characters/gear/stats will be nerfed so more people will be motivated to bu those from store.

That's one of the reasons why I **REALLY** like the FFXIV job system as it find a good balance between leveling an alt, while not making achieves and other things between the alts painful (as many classes share gear pools).